PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 1600 March 2013 Auto Handbrake

Rhinogirl
19-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi

I've just acquired my new Audi A3 which has this handbrake which is completely new to me. It seemed to be working well (once I'd figured out how to use it) until I was at traffic lights on a slight incline. I manually put on the handbrake and when I went to set off I stalled it. I didn't think this was supposed to happen as I've done this before and its worked OK. I tried it again a few days later at the same junction, I stalled it again. It feels like the handbrake is sticking. Am I doing something wrong? I'm now worried about using it at all. Give me a manual handbrake anytime at least I'm in control.

james_tiger_woo
19-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I find the handbrake pretty good and intuitive, but I've had two Passat B6s.

When you put the handbrake on, I assume your feet are clear of the pedals?

What are your steps to getting the handbrake off? What I do is this - Put clutch in, wait for engine to come back on if it's off, put car in gear, rev on and clutch up and the handbrake comes off - it take a second or so and if you rush it, you might stall.

Try practising at home - you don't actually need to put the car in gear to do this, so you can try it sat on the road/drive.

Rhinogirl
19-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I usually just have my foot on the brake when I put it on. I think I do the same as you to take it off, although I wonder now if I have been rushing it and getting into a panic, as its been sitting at traffic lights in the morning rush with loads of other drivers behind me.

Think I'll take your advice and have a practice on a quiet street somewhere. When I first got it I couldn't even reverse out of my driveway so I had to go refer to the owners manual, which might as well be written in a foreign language.

Lukenkarl
19-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I have an A6 with electronic hand brake (not with hill assist) I have found that when I am facing uphill it releases automatic when you pull away, but when facing down hill I have to press foot brake and press the release button. Maybe this is what is happening to you ? Maybe this is the Audi way ?

james_tiger_woo
19-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I usually just have my foot on the brake when I put it on. I think I do the same as you to take it off, although I wonder now if I have been rushing it and getting into a panic, as its been sitting at traffic lights in the morning rush with loads of other drivers behind me.

Think I'll take your advice and have a practice on a quiet street somewhere. When I first got it I couldn't even reverse out of my driveway so I had to go refer to the owners manual, which might as well be written in a foreign language.

No worries and good luck - The manual does throw up some surprises though :)

Sir Kit Braker
02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I have a March 2013 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI SE and also have problems with the automatic parking brake. It releases every time when moving forward but sometimes in reverse it stays on. You can release it manually when the car is trying to go in reverse against the brake by pressing the brake button, but this means that the car jerks suddenly backwards. When the brake stays on in reverse you can also press in the clutch and try to reverse again and it usually releases on the second or third attempt. I took the car to my local Audi dealer and after three days investigations they said the problem was a software problem with the A3 TDI of which Audi are aware. When new software is available they said they would contact me. That was two months ago and I have heard nothing since.