PDA

View Full Version : 1984cc AGG engine - which cars?

drosser
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I am new to this forum - this is my first post.
I have acquired a 1997 Toledo Sport 1984cc (8 valve) which is a bit tired generally and needs lots of little bits. The engine and gearbox are still brilliant (80,000 miles) and I would like to look for a project to keep me occupied for a while.
Can anyone tell me when they stopped using this engine in the VAG companies? In particular, were there any cars manufactured around 1999 - 2001 with it. Also, if I were to find a damaged 1984cc 16v, will the cylinder head from that engine bolt straight on to my block without difficulty. Are there likely to be any problems with engine mountings?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge re this engine. The last VAG car I owned was a 1951 Beetle (peephole rear window) and things seem to have moved on a bit since then. I bought the Toledo for my youngest son but he finds it too big and unfashionable for his liking.

Crasher
08-09-2007, 01:07 PM
The AGG was used up to 12/01 (2002) model year in the Golf 3 Cabrio facelift (what people call the Golf 4 Cabrio but it isn’t) and the Ibiza/Cordoba up to 2000. The similar ADY was also used in the Sharan/Alhambra up to 2001. The ABF head will bolt onto an AGG block but the AGG has a totally different piston design to the ABF. What are your concerns over engine mountings?

drosser
09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
The AGG was used up to 12/01 (2002) model year in the Golf 3 Cabrio facelift (what people call the Golf 4 Cabrio but it isn’t) and the Ibiza/Cordoba up to 2000. The similar ADY was also used in the Sharan/Alhambra up to 2001. The ABF head will bolt onto an AGG block but the AGG has a totally different piston design to the ABF. What are your concerns over engine mountings?

Crasher,
Thanks for the swift reply. The info is very useful. Your comment re the 16v is something I should have thought of (4v / pot must affect piston shape) - I'm just a bit dim that way. My only concern re mountings was if the actual block casting had been altered for some models (unlikely, I know).
I think that a late 90's Ibiza with this engine would fit the bill for my son. Now for a look around auctions, ebay etc to find something suitable for the right price!