PDA

View Full Version : Strange one this morning!

GolferPete
13-11-2013, 07:10 PM
First frost of the winter today (which may well be relevant).

After start up routine, aircon defrosting windscreen etc, the radio wouldn't work. In fact the whole MMI system was locked up, ie couldn't swap to NAV or MEDIA or PHONE etc - all of the controls around the gear lever were inoperative, including the four imediately around the gear lever.

Switched off and restarted - no difference.

Drove to destination about 10 minutes away - still the same. Got out and locked the car and the MMI screen stayed on!

Went back to car about 1 hour later before playing golf! and all was restored to normal - very odd.

It almost seems as if some part of the system was not sensing the status of the car - maybe a relay wasn't opening or closing properly due to the icy conditions.

Has anyone else had / heard of this before? I don't want to take it to Audi as the condition has now cleared, and they may now be able to trace the fault. Would VAGCOM be able to report on this fault?

Thanks for reading..

Guest 2
13-11-2013, 08:37 PM
If there were any faults the fault will still be logged, get it read and see whats happening.

sportq
14-11-2013, 02:38 PM
What's the condition of your battery?

Last week I got the low battery warning on the computer. I knew it was on the way out as I'd enabled the battery meter with VCDS and it was taking longer and longer to recharge and not getting to 100% at all. The same day I got the low battery message the fog lights didn't come on when I unlocked the car with the remote as they usually do when it's dark. Reading the manual, it says the computer will disable non-essential systems to conserve power when the battery condition is deemed to be poor.

Switching the car off and on again would probably make it worse.

I replaced the battery and everything is working as normal again and the battery is constantly at 100% even after a morning cold start.

Peter

GolferPete
14-11-2013, 03:38 PM
HI sportq

Thanks for replying. Not the problem in my case, I don't think. The battery is (and always has) indicating 100%.

Cheers