PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf TDI90 year 2000 alternator pulley

john493
10-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Guys, not sure whether it's just the freewheel pulley or the complete alternator I've got to replace yet, but a couple of questions:

1- can the pulley be replaced with the alternator in-situ ?

2- whats the easiest way to remove the alternator ? What else have I got to remove to get it out ?

Engine code AGR, car has aircon.

(Done a search but unable to find the answers for my car)

zollaf
10-11-2013, 09:48 PM
i think i did one of these a while back and managed to do it with the alternator in situ by undoing the engine mount and lowering the engine down enough to get the tool onto the alt pulley. i might be speaking complete trash, but i am sure it was an agr and thats how we did it ??

john493
11-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Zollaf,
That looks feasible having taken a look - thanks - I'll try to do it without taking the alternator off, but any ideas of the easiest route to alternator removal if I need to ?

zollaf
11-11-2013, 09:30 PM
no. the alternator is a proper pita to remove, thats why i did the pulley the easy way. still took a while though. they are easiest to get off if you use an air gun to zap it off.

MotortechMobile
19-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Best way is to unbolt the ac pump and move it down out of the way then drop the alternator down not a nice simple one but easy enough! can be done in under an hour!

john493
19-11-2013, 11:21 PM
That's exactly how I did it - poly belt & tensioner off, a/c compressor off, r/h fan off, alternator off from below - all done now & easier than it looked to start with.
Thanks for all the advice.

MotortechMobile
19-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Glad you got it done! Its one of those jobs that looks like the nightmare but is a piece of cake!