PDA

View Full Version : A new RSAP problem on updated Galaxy S4

Wippa
05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm probably being stupid - but either way I'm really hacked off. I have an unlocked Galaxy s4 - i bought it sim free. However there is an update being rolled out on Android phones that i updated. It's about 700mg and takes Android to 4.3.4 (I think). Network owners are rolling the update out later as they update their own software accordingly. Up until Sunday everything rsap was working correctly.After this update, I've lost the rsap functions. I didn't use the car again until today and i noticed it kept giving me an option to search for the phone. I'd find my phone in bonded devices, connect, then it would drop.I now have Data Connection option greyed out and the only options i have on bluetooth are audio player and call audio. There's no sim control function anymore. Has anyone else experienced this yet or have i cocked something up? I've deleted the device, re connected. Rebooted the system and so on to no change. I know its only a few options it loses, but the online search i used quite a bit and street view stuff has gone too. Google maps is not updating either due to "no data connection". Really fed up.

Coddy85
05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
http://www.android-rsap.com

Will this app fix it for you?

I'm in this situation every day having an iPhone I'm looking to get a Samsung tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wippa
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Coddy - I've seen this app before when I was struggling with my iphone. However, the Sammy was working just fine until this update, so I don't really want to put a patch over something which was essentially working as stock at the moment. It may well be that I have to use it. Having said that, I fiddled with more settings today and managed to get RSAP to connect, however, it holds for a bout 10-20 seconds, data connection is lit, i can can go and configure it, it then dissappears and i have to reconnect the phone. Another day, a different problem with rsap. I just don't get why it should be this complicated in this day.

Wippa
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
PS @cody - app doesn't work on Galaxy S4
There will be updates to Android 4.3 for the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One soon.
A leaked 4.2 firmware for the Galaxy S3 version was very similar to the S4 firmware, i.e. my app will not run on it.
On the HTC One my app has problems with the 4.3 Bluetooth stack, i.e. my app will not work with Audi, Mercedes, ... car phones. Please check the Bluetooth issues (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/compatibility.html) for more information.
The problems also affect custom ROMs that are based on the leaked firmwares. I hope I can solve both issues until the updates are officially rolled out.

silo24
06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Best option is to download a 4.2.2 image from here:

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

and flash with Odin/Kies......

One thing i've learnt by your problem is to not upgrade when my phone offers it.....

Also, for anyone that's interested, the new Google Nexus 5 does NOT support RSAP out of the box. I got mine on Monday and will be selling it on shortly....

Wippa
06-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanls for that silo, I may well do that over the weekend and give it a go. My wifes got a sammy on 4.2 so im going to try that out first see if it works. If that does, then ill roll back. If not, im stuck in all honesty.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

silo24
07-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Thanls for that silo, I may well do that over the weekend and give it a go. My wifes got a sammy on 4.2 so im going to try that out first see if it works. If that does, then ill roll back. If not, im stuck in all honesty.

It should be fine. 4.2.2 certainly works like a charm with the 2013/4 system anyhow.

Coddy85
07-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Best option is to download a 4.2.2 image from here:

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

and flash with Odin/Kies......

One thing i've learnt by your problem is to not upgrade when my phone offers it.....

Also, for anyone that's interested, the new Google Nexus 5 does NOT support RSAP out of the box. I got mine on Monday and will be selling it on shortly....

Wanna swap for an iPhone 5? :)

silo24
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Wanna swap for an iPhone 5? :)

A kind offer that I shall respectfully decline......another non-RSAP handset's no good to me!

Fortunately i'm within the 15 day returns period, so no need to sell on......

Gareth

Coddy85
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Haha. It was only a cheeky offer, I am on the lookout for a rsap phone though. Might wait for samsung S5

Wippa
24-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Finally got round to this today. Used wifes Galaxy which is stock and run rsap fine. Cancelled her, plumbed mine in and problen returned. So, dont upgrade your android just yet is what id say. Some suppliers have pulled the update, certainly in America, so dont do it would be my advice.

silo24
27-11-2013, 11:57 PM
I accidentally updated earlier.... Tried to cancel the update and inadvertently hit the wrong button....****!

So, anyway, moving past the problem to a solution....

I installed the Cyanogenmod firmware and then installed the "Bluetooth SIM Access Profile" app from the Play store.

Visit CyanogenMod | Downloads (www.get.cm) to install Cyanogenmod. This is REALLY easy to install, but be aware that you will need to back up your phone as it will do a factory reset.
Visit Remote SIM Access for Android (www.android-rsap.com) to find out the process for installing the SIM Access Profile app. It's £7.49 but worth it....

Have also had a response from Samsung that they are aware of the issue and have now suspended the rollout. There will be a fix in future but no timescales as yet.

Wippa
28-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats really interesting. I posted on the rsap app forum on play store and the chap was pretty confident it wouldnt work due to some issue with contacts and that stock was the best option. Do you have it running all A Ok?

I spoke to carphone warehouse re this and asked what they could do. They felt as the software was essentially broke and even Samsung had pulled it that their engineers could probably flash back to 4.2 . All the forums ive read have said this isnt possible. Hoping to pop in to CPW and see what they can do.

silo24
28-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Thats really interesting. I posted on the rsap app forum on play store and the chap was pretty confident it wouldnt work due to some issue with contacts and that stock was the best option. Do you have it running all A Ok?

I spoke to carphone warehouse re this and asked what they could do. They felt as the software was essentially broke and even Samsung had pulled it that their engineers could probably flash back to 4.2 . All the forums ive read have said this isnt possible. Hoping to pop in to CPW and see what they can do.

I believe the stock firmware and the app don't co-exist properly. By flashing Cyanogen firmware, you effectively bypass the existing bluetooth stack and install the cyanogen version, which DOES work with the app.

It works A-OK on mine, including call logs and phonebook sync.

CPW won't do anything that they're not instructed to do by Samsung, and Samsung won't recommend cyanogen firmware.....

Wippa
28-11-2013, 11:01 AM
hmm - i might give that a crack. I usually change my phone every 6 months though and reading on cyanogen's forum, getting it back to stock (which i'd do to sell it) seems fiddly.

You mention call logs and phonebook, i get that with normal bluetooth connection, I'm more interested in SMS, google maps, audi connect and online destination searches - those are the features that I've lost. Are they working ok?

Wippa
28-11-2013, 11:02 AM
oh and ps - thanks for the fix and links :o

silo24
28-11-2013, 11:46 AM
oh and ps - thanks for the fix and links :o

No worries, glad to be able to share.....was mortified when I upgraded yesterday. As they say, 'necessity is the mother of invention' so I have now got a lot more knowledge around this than I anticipated having!

All works well for me, including SMS/Online functionality. Basically, as long as the RSAP software correctly shares the SIM access, the rest is as usual handled by the car.

With regard to going back to stock, this isn't as tricky as you think. Have a read of these...

How to Unroot and Restore Official Stock Firmware for Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 & GT-I9505 (http://nerdsmagazine.com/how-to-unroot-samsung-galaxy-s4/)

How to Unroot Galaxy S4 and Remove Root Completely! | GalaxyS4Root.com (http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-tutorials/how-to-unroot-galaxy-s4-and-remove-root-completely/)

Bear in mind though you will need to flash back to 4.3, as the bootloader is different on 4.2.x

Coddy85
29-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Sorted my problem and ditched the iphone for a note 3!

onionman100
29-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi There,

I have exactly the same problem with my iphone ..so its now time to replace it with either Samsung S4 or HTC one ? But don't really know which one to go for ? Any advice would be much appreciated ?

Wippa
30-11-2013, 09:50 AM
My S4 run perfectly before an Android update tgat broke the sexy stuff. If you get one running 4.3 you'll be fine.

Wippa
30-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Or you can do the cyanogen mod above if its 4.3.3

Wippa
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM
FYI there's new firmware update out there.Only available on Kies at the moment. I updated today and hoped it would sort everything out. So, backed up, updated, rebooted, restarted kies, went to car, connected in rsap mode and I thought "Yessssss" fixed. Thank god for that ... only for a minute later and same old happened again, disconnect, re-connect in HFP.

Fail.

Anyone wanna buy a 3 month old Galaxy s4?

silo24
07-12-2013, 09:22 PM
FYI there's new firmware update out there.Only available on Kies at the moment. I updated today and hoped it would sort everything out. So, backed up, updated, rebooted, restarted kies, went to car, connected in rsap mode and I thought "Yessssss" fixed. Thank god for that ... only for a minute later and same old happened again, disconnect, re-connect in HFP.

Fail.

Anyone wanna buy a 3 month old Galaxy s4?

Time to be brave mate! Install Cyanogenmod....

I must admit, I actually prefer it to the Samsung firmware with all the bloatware that comes with it.....

G

Wippa
07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
I know. You're right. Im annoyed at myself for doing the update in the first place and really naffed off that it broke it. That being said , the fix is there as youve pointed out so I need to suck it or stop moaning :)

onionman100
08-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info,doesn't sound good at all......can you not go back to original software like jellybean 4.2.2 as I was told this works fine with ours cars and with full rsap functions?

Do all S4 owners have to update their phones to this new version or is this just an option / choice of the individual ?

I'm holding on for now,as I was getting new phone tomorrow .....pls let me know if you still want to sell your S4 :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

silo24
08-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi,

When you upgrade to 4.3 the bootloader is upgraded to the Knox version, which is highly protected and means the firmware then cannot be downgraded without Rooting the device. When you do this you get a notification that the system is running a custom rom on boot.

It can be done, but essentially it is a hack and will not be supported by the manufacturer.

G

Wippa
08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
As Silo says above, you cant go back unfortunately unlike previous versions but there are mods as mentioned in the thread. The downside is they also invalidate your warranty so depends in your own situ as to whether you want to do it or not.

If you buy one stock today it will run fine workingon the assumption its not had the update. Youd be able to tell in about 3 minutes.

The update is optional at the moment and not all carriers are shipping it just yet.

onionman100
08-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Wow... Now I understand , thanks for this information guys as having been Apple for last 5yrs I'm now going have to get used to an android system again....but hopefully the transition will not be to painful .

Very sorry to this, but hopefully they will come out with a fix / update to repair this fault ...is samsung aware of this situation ?

silo24
08-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi onionman,

Yes, Samsung are aware but wouldn't provide any details of timescales for a fix.

Since you haven't purchased yet, you may want to have a look at Remote SIM Access for Android (www.android-rsap.com) for compatible phones. You do need to root the device to get it to work but this isn't such a big deal and can usually be undone in the event of an issue. This at least would give you a greater choice of handsets. Most people use Samsung with VW/Audi as they (used to) work right out of the box....

G

mgoliveruk
09-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Aaargh!! My Samsung S4 was working fine with MMI on Audi S4 until I upgraded to 4.3 a few days ago. Had exactly the same issue when moved from Samsung S3 to S4 a few months back, until I updated the firmware. I am currently with firmware I9505XXUEMK9 , and SIM access drops after only a few seconds. Checking daily for new firmware, will keep you guys posted.

Wippa
10-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I accidentally updated earlier.... Tried to cancel the update and inadvertently hit the wrong button....****!

So, anyway, moving past the problem to a solution....

I installed the Cyanogenmod firmware and then installed the "Bluetooth SIM Access Profile" app from the Play store.

Visit CyanogenMod | Downloads (http://www.get.cm) to install Cyanogenmod. This is REALLY easy to install, but be aware that you will need to back up your phone as it will do a factory reset.
Visit Remote SIM Access for Android (http://www.android-rsap.com) to find out the process for installing the SIM Access Profile app. It's £7.49 but worth it....

Have also had a response from Samsung that they are aware of the issue and have now suspended the rollout. There will be a fix in future but no timescales as yet.

I may be a little bit inlove with you at the moment Silo. Installed Cyanogen no probs. Took around 30 minutes I guess. I then spent the next couple of hours getting the phone back up with mail etc. All worked and I went for the trial app. The app didn't work. Some error about sim state.So I cocked around for another 30 minutes and decided I should read the instructions. I hadn't installed the sim access install. So, did that,back out to car (its cold tonight btw) and a few tense moments and grants of access and im back up n running. I tested it all and worked fine but I only tried it for a few minutes.

so assuming all goes well tmoz, thanks very much for the fix.

silo24
10-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I may be a little bit inlove with you at the moment Silo. Installed Cyanogen no probs. Took around 30 minutes I guess. I then spent the next couple of hours getting the phone back up with mail etc. All worked and I went for the trial app. The app didn't work. Some error about sim state.So I cocked around for another 30 minutes and decided I should read the instructions. I hadn't installed the sim access install. So, did that,back out to car (its cold tonight btw) and a few tense moments and grants of access and im back up n running. I tested it all and worked fine but I only tried it for a few minutes.

so assuming all goes well tmoz, thanks very much for the fix.

Haha! Feeling loved!

Believe it or not, I had the exact same problem as you.....reading the instructions were the key! Have you bought the main application? The demo expires after a few minutes....

Wippa
10-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes paid the 7.50. The trial run out after 10 mins and by the time I'd gone to the car,connected, docked around the 10m was up!

silo24
10-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes paid the 7.50. The trial run out after 10 mins and by the time I'd gone to the car,connected, docked around the 10m was up!

In that case, you're all set!

Don't know about you but i've decided I definitely prefer Cyanogen to the standard firmware. The only problem so far is Sky Go won't work as it's rooted, but there is an app called 'hide my root' that sorts that apparently!

Wippa
10-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm only a few hours in so you're a tad ahead of me. I've found two apps that don't work but neither are critical. Main thing for me was work emails, contacts and calendar syncing which it does okay. Because mine was bought sim free I never had any bloatware on there apart from the stock Samsung versions of everything which got uninstalled pretty quickly. So far so good though. I'm still new to android as I've been on iphones for years and android for about 10 weeks so playing catch up with this type of stuff.

Wippa
10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Without wishing to turn this into a cyanogen thread, have you found or use tasks at all? I use tasks via exchange/outlook quite a bit but cant find where they are or if theyre synced. Theres a few folk with same issue on the forum but no replies which in my experience means its either right before my eyes or doesn't exist.

silo24
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Without wishing to turn this into a cyanogen thread, have you found or use tasks at all? I use tasks via exchange/outlook quite a bit but cant find where they are or if theyre synced. Theres a few folk with same issue on the forum but no replies which in my experience means its either right before my eyes or doesn't exist.

Don't use tasks personally but have had a root around and doesn't look like its supported in the native app.....usually under the account details it would list it as one of the items to sync and its not there.

Have a look at 'Tasks an Notes for MS Exchange' in the play store....it's free and seems to work quite well. I just installed it to connect to my Uni account and it seemed happy enough. Best bit is it's free.....

Gareth

silo24
10-12-2013, 10:38 PM
By the way, that seems to very much be the way with cyanogenmod. If you want it, install it. If not, it won't be there.....

Wippa
10-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah I'd searched around for a fix on the forums but couldn't find owt. Didn't think to check play store in all honesty.

Installed that, fiddled around and got my tasks pulled down now so it would seem it all working.

Again, thanks a bunch.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 09:50 PM
This is an interesting thread.. I have an S4 running stock 4.3 and my RSAP is working fine..

Wippa
18-12-2013, 10:00 PM
That's interesting. I spoke to Audi abou this around a week ago and they got back to me yesterday. Their response was the update has broken rsap on some samsung phones, but not all of them. As a result, they were willing to do nothing about it as it all worked on vanilla and the update was to blame, not them. From this forum and a few others I've read, I've only read about broken rsaps with the update. You're the first with it all still working.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:06 PM
That's interesting. I spoke to Audi abou this around a week ago and they got back to me yesterday. Their response was the update has broken rsap on some samsung phones, but not all of them. As a result, they were willing to do nothing about it as it all worked on vanilla and the update was to blame, not them. From this forum and a few others I've read, I've only read about broken rsaps with the update. You're the first with it all still working.

If I had the issues, the first thing I would do is reboot the phone in recovery mode and clear the cache, then do a full factory reset, again from recovery mode rather than the main OS.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Equally people could try downloading the FW version I'm running (as per screen shot). It should be available through SamMobile and can be flashed by Odin. As this is a stock firmware it won't invalidate your warranty or increase your flash counter..

silo24
18-12-2013, 10:20 PM
This is an interesting thread.. I have an S4 running stock 4.3 and my RSAP is working fine..

Interesting indeed. Your Firmware is based around I9505XXUEMK9, which is later than the generic 'SIM Free' firmware that is currently available, so i'm guessing your is a Vodafone, 3UK or EE handset?

Sounds like they have fixed something (or not broken it in the first place) on this firmware....

G

Wippa
18-12-2013, 10:22 PM
I'd tried all those things and didn't work for me. Wife's vanilla worked fine until update, then broke post 4.3. Both s4s, different networks, same update. Using cyanogen now and running all fine.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:24 PM
I'd tried all those things and didn't work for me. Wife's vanilla worked fine until update, then broke post 4.3. Both s4s, different networks, same update. Using cyanogen now and running all fine.

Glad your working.. obviously be aware that your warranty is now invalid due to running none standard software. Even if you flash back your flash counter will show some none standard firmware has been used. It is possible to reset the counter but it can be a pain..

silo24
18-12-2013, 10:24 PM
If I had the issues, the first thing I would do is reboot the phone in recovery mode and clear the cache, then do a full factory reset, again from recovery mode rather than the main OS.

Biggest issue at the time was that this was the first firmware to incorporate Samsung's KNOX system. This prevented you downgrading, which caused all the issues.

Recovery and reset wouldn't work as the upgrade rewrote the bootloader and recovery....

Now we appear to have a working 4.3 version, i'm downloading the Vodafone version to flash and try it out.....

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Biggest issue at the time was that this was the first firmware to incorporate Samsung's KNOX system. This prevented you downgrading, which caused all the issues.

Recovery and reset wouldn't work as the upgrade rewrote the bootloader and recovery....

Now we appear to have a working 4.3 version, i'm downloading the Vodafone version to flash and try it out.....

My version is the EE firmware.. there doesn't appear to be any specific EE customizations.

You can definitely get my firmware from SamMobile.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:29 PM

I've also disabled and removed KNOX although I obviously still have the secure boot loader...

Wippa
18-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Wait to hear how that goes, but gotta say, I'm happy with Cyanogen. Seems quicker, better battery life, and working just fine.

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:36 PM
I've also disabled and removed KNOX although I obviously still have the secure boot loader...

Sorry I'll re phase that.. I've disabled KNOX and removed the front end app, obviously KNOX is an integral part of the code for 4.3 so can't be completely removed..

AGW82
18-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Wait to hear how that goes, but gotta say, I'm happy with Cyanogen. Seems quicker, better battery life, and working just fine.

The Cynogen builds are considered one of the best and most stable custom ROMs, I'm sure you won't have any issues. I used to use Darkys ROM many moons ago for my original Galaxy S..

silo24
19-12-2013, 01:04 AM

To be honest, i've had a bit of a breakthrough tonight. The only annoying thing about Cyanogenmod was that as it was rooted, I couldn't run Barclays Mobile Banking or Sky Go.......

I've now managed to install the RSAP app, and then un-root the Cyanogen build so it allows the Barclays and Sky apps to work.

Don't think i'm going to put the Vodafone ROM on my phone as I agree, Cyanogen is faster and better than the Samsung builds in my view. I'm definitely at the 'if it ain't broke' phase of my relationship with this phone!

Wippa
24-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Would you believe me if I said that the latest update of Cyanogen had broken rsap again?

Wippa
24-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Panic over. Needed to reinstall the install app - phew!

silo24
25-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Panic over. Needed to reinstall the install app - phew!

Yep, had the same issue.... Obviously something overwritten during the update.

Steuart64
26-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Can you please share samsung contact details as my Gal S3 refuses to pass 3G to the car. 3G is on the phone but when I pair up all I get onboard is 2G and Audi blame the phone and Vodafone blame Samsung!

silo24
26-12-2013, 06:19 PM
I just used the contact form on their website....

GT-I9505 - OVERVIEW | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG UK (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/GT-I9505ZWABTU)

It's under 'Email Support'

silo24
15-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Don't think i'm going to put the Vodafone ROM on my phone as I agree, Cyanogen is faster and better than the Samsung builds in my view. I'm definitely at the 'if it ain't broke' phase of my relationship with this phone!

Ok, so had a few problems with calls dropping on the handset so decided to flash the VF firmware. RSAP works and all is well.....

Wippa
15-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I tried the wife's the weekend whos on Three and her's still failed.

I'm going to stick to CM until hers works. If it ain't broke ...

silo24
15-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Very wise. I think mine just wasn't playing nicely with the Vodafone Suresignal femotcell in my house. Would lose outbound voice after about 10 mins.....which wasn't very helpful since I work from home!

AGW82
30-01-2014, 05:28 PM
For those interested I have just updated to the RC3 version of the yet to be released Android KitKat (4.4.2) and RSAP is still working.

JohnEx
17-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Add me to the list of unhappy Samsung users. Apprectiate that I'm in the wrong forum as this concerns a 2013 A6 but my Galaxy S3 RSAP worked with the MMI in Car Phone mode from the day I collected the car. Google maps, WAN, Audi connect, the lot just worked. A couple of weeks ago the phone just crashed and I had to do a factory reset. At the same time without asking permission, the OS "upgraded" to 4.3 and guess what? Since then the RSAP connection will only stay last for a few seconds. I contacted Samsung who said that the problem was with Audi as their system wasn't compatible even after I explained that it worked perfectly on the older OS. I then spoke to Orange / EE and surprise surprise, it's a Samsung problem. I haven't spoken to Audi yet as I'm pretty certain what he response will be. It works OK in hands free mode but RSAP is just flaky now and won't stay connected. I guess Iwill have to wait until I'm due for a phone upgrade in October and see if the Galaxy S5 works.

Wippa
18-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Pain in the are isn't it. Audi Blame samsung. Samsung Blane Audi. Mobile operators blane anyone else and all that happens is that you can't do what you could do before the update that no one is responsible for!

JohnEx
24-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Not sure how this happened but I think I have accidentally found a workaround to this (works on my S3 anyway). On the old OS I always enabled bluetooth and mobile data. I found that the phone worked using the handsfree profile and then tried reconnecting from the MMI using the carphone profile (mobile data not activated on the phone). It connected via rsap and then I see the 3g and Google icons and it has worked ever since. So, in my case it looks as though enabling mobile data was causing the problem.

Andyman10
08-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have the Galaxy S5 working on the Audi MMI? Trying to find out if this phone/unit combination will work in RSAP mode.

Thanks