PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 Cambelt Change

mickgr
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi
New to forum so hello to all.
:1zhelp:
Q. Can somebody give me advice as regards to what tools or bolts can be used as a locking off tool on the Golf Mk 3 TDi 90BHP 1993 model to change the cambelt. Any other tips or pit falls I need to be aware of.

Is it also necessary to change any other items whilst changing the cambelt on this particular engine. The speedometer reading on this vehicle is 59,000. I believe this mileage to be correct as I have all the previous mot certificates.

The belt is starting to shows signs of wear and tear so needs replacing asap.

Any information would be gratefully received.:beerchug:

Mr Whippy.

PS I used to have a white type 25 leisuredrive camper, which work colleagues call the ice cream van, hence the name.

Col
07-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Can't help you specifically on that engine, never had one !

But...

Generally, the trickiest bit on doing VAG belt changes is messing about with the engine mounting (I don't know if this needs to be removed to get the belt on and off on yours?) and getting the hex bolts undone on the crank pulley, make sure you have got a good quality hex key for the bolts not some allen key from a flat pack furniture set !

Also timing up the engine is critical, you will need a crank locking tool and some cam / pump pins.

Good luck.

mickgr
07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Cheers BigCol:beerchug: