PDA

View Full Version : Vwfs refused new tyres

SMEG
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I have a 62 plate A3 on contract hire supplied by main dealer with maintenance and tyre cover for 3 years.When travelling up the M1 in torrential rain last week the cruise control kept switching off due to aquaplaning so i checked the front tyres and found them to be just above the wear markers.

I contacted the supplying dealer who told me to contact VWFS (VW financial services) and they told me to visit the nearest ATS Tyre depot for an inspection which i did today.Following the inspection ATS documented 3 mm left on both front tyres but would not change them because VWFS will not authorize new tyre until down to minimum 2mm which is only 0.4 mm above the legal limit.

I phoned VWFS explaining that as we are going into Winter do they not think that the tyres ought to be changed anyway due to the coming weather conditions and road safety and they refused.

I told them that i will email them for confirmation of this decision just in case i have an accident where worn tyres could have contributed to their damaged car or pedestrian.

M1tchy
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Give it a good wheel spin! that should get rid of the next few mm?

james_tiger_woo
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Perhaps try a different ATS and discuss the upcoming winter and keep it on very friendly terms (and a quite workshop), they might look favourably on your situation.

I've never done this at 2.5mm. No. Not me....

Although, now you've spoken with VWFS, this may not work.

zollaf
04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
you might change them yourself out of your pocket but vwfs are thinking of their own wallet. i would just do as mithcy suggests and lay that rubber down in nice long lines, take it back to ats and get them changed. simples.
its their rules, your game. incidentally, 1.6mm is the legal limit at which point your tread becomes poor at clearing water. in a situation like that in heavy rain, why not slow down a bit to stop aquaplanning. if you were going a bit too fast then that not really the fault of the tyre, is it ?

chody
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
lots of companies have same rule including my employer I have 1 tyre on my van at 3mm they wouldnt change it as my employer gather up and inspect all tyres to make sure they are down to the 2 mm cant believe how cheap these ***** are

zollaf
04-11-2013, 09:51 PM
its not being cheap though, is it. at 100 quid a corner say, and 1000 cars to look after, getting another 2000 miles from a tyre could save a few quid each year.

Eshrules
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm with zol on this one.

I've just had my two fronts replaced at just over £80 a tyre, I can appreciate why lease firms insist on getting as much use out of a tyre as possible.

I also agree with the advice given for aquaplaning. Slow down BEFORE you hit the water and you'll reduce the risks you're taking.

Doesn't matter whether you're on new treads or old, if you hit standing water at speed you're going to end up coming a cropper.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2