PDA

View Full Version : Map Upgrade

shabazmo
28-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I have just had the map upgrade from audi for £200. Cheaper than what I was quoted (£270). I have been given the DVD packaging but no disc. Should I have been given one?

Guest 2
28-10-2013, 11:32 PM
As you have HDD you have no use for it. Think its a one-use thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jk88
29-10-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm tempted to get my maps updated, but have been put off by the £250+ prices being quoted. Did you use Basingstoke Audi for this or another source? What led to the price being reduced by £70?

M1tchy
29-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I've had my car for nearly 2 weeks now and in something I've read (that came with it) said that your car comes with the latest mapping software, updates are available roughly every 6 months and the first 5 updates are free. This would give you 3 years of maps. I will get the books out tomorrow and try and find where it says it.

shabazmo
30-10-2013, 11:33 PM
I've had my car for nearly 2 weeks now and in something I've read (that came with it) said that your car comes with the latest mapping software, updates are available roughly every 6 months and the first 5 updates are free. This would give you 3 years of maps. I will get the books out tomorrow and try and find where it says it.

Yes please, I was told that maps are updated each year at about May time. On the subject of why I got a cheaper price I don't know. Even the service came out at £60 cheaper. And it was Basingstoke Audi. By the way, I am very impressed with them. I do all my own servicing and repairs when out of waranty, but these guys are making me think differently. If I don't do it myself I will take it to them.

@mark
31-10-2013, 09:33 AM

I have seen that too although I believe it only applies to 2013MY cars and newer (which yours is) and is limited to the first owner only

Also note that Audi only publishes map updates once a year

Pilot Morgan
31-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Please do confirm if you find it, and in what docs. I bought new in May of this year and that means I'd be coming up to the first Map upgrade!

M1tchy
31-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Found it. It is in the Audi Connect manual and it states:

Note

Your vehicle is equipped with the latestmaps at the time of delivery. Map updatesare supplied once every six months byAudi; the first five of these are free ofcharge. Your Audi dealer will be glad to in-form you about the options for extendingthe usage period and the costs that wouldbe involved.

The PDF version of this manual is available online.

@mark
03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
The PDF version of this manual is available online.

And a fully indexed and searchable HTML version that you can copy onto your PC can be found on the DVD enclosed with the manual in the glovebox :)

Ian475
07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I have seen that too although I believe it only applies to 2013MY cars and newer (which yours is) and is limited to the first owner only

Also note that Audi only publishes map updates once a year

this information is in my owners manual and its a 2011 model,why do you believe it only applies to 2013MY cars?also where does it say its limited to first owner only?
i have actualy been trying to get on the map update page on my Audi website but there isn't even a link on the homepage.
i have found the printed literature for this car so difficult to understand,even the instructions to enter the pin on the mmi for my Audi,there is nowhere in the menus for this pin to be Inputted.

shabazmo
07-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I am confused. I don't have an Audi connect manual. When my maps were updated, the car had to be plugged into a computer for a few hours for the update to happen. I was given an empty DVD case whe I collected the car and paid £200. I was also told that update are once a year. Could Audi have changed their system of upgrades?

Ian475
07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Mine is the mmi plus and it has a separate manual for it,in there is the info for Audi connect

shabazmo
07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I also have MMI navigation plus and the booklet of that name (ver.11.2010). I just can't find Audi connect. What page is it on.

Ian475
07-11-2013, 11:00 PM
The note at the bottom of page 92 references "my Audi" so I registered my Audi and downloaded the FAQ ,on one of the pages it goes into detail.....

Downloading new map update
► Log into myAudi | Audi USA (www.audi.com/myaudi) with your user data.
► Click on the Audi connect service Map up- date service.
You can either download the map package Eu- rope (whole) or an individual country pack- age.
Only one update can be downloaded and im- ported into the MMI using an SD card at any one time.
If you wish to update more than one country package, either download the map package Europe (whole) or repeat the download and update procedure one by one for each country package.
► Make sure that your formatted SD card is in your (computer's) card reader.
► Select the desired map package.
► Click on Download now. This opens the Audi
connect download client.
► Select your SD card as the storage location
when requested to do so by the Audi con- nect download client.
The download is started and the download status is displayed.
The selected files are automatically loaded onto your SD card.
► Once the files have been downloaded, re-
move the SD card from your (computer's) card reader.
Importing map update into the MMI
► Insert the SD card with the update files into one of the MMI's SD card slots.
► Select the button > Setup MMI > System updateðFig. 4.
► Select and confirm the source (SD1 or SD2). ► Select and confirm Start update.
The data in the navigation system will then be updated; the status of the update procedure will be shown on the MMI display.
You can continue using the navigation system while the update is being performed.
► To complete installation of the new maps,
confirm the update.
Your MMI will be restarted. If route guidance was active, the navigation system will be briefly interrupted and will then automatically resume operation after the MMI is restarted. The updated maps can now be used for navi- gation.
Fig. 4 Starting a map update on the MMI
MENU
Note
– The update procedure on the MMI may take up to two hours, depending on which map update is selected. The up- date is interrupted if the engine is switched off, for example, but automati- cally resumes at the same point when the vehicle is restarted.
– To ensure that the maps are updated cor- rectly, the SD card should not be re- moved from the slot during a map up- date.
Note
Your vehicle is equipped with the latest maps at the time of delivery. Map updates are supplied once every six months by Audi; the first five of these are free of charge. Your Audi dealer will be glad to in- form you about the options for extending the usage period and the costs that would be involved.

shabazmo
07-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks Ian but I think I must have an older spec model. My car was registered in March 2011, so the first batch. I have technology pack with MMi plus, but to update my maps, I think its over to audi to get this done. shame its £200 a time.

Ian475
08-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Well mine is June 2011 so I should imagine its same spec as yours.
pity the books can't be more clearer as once started it confuses the hell out of me.

M1tchy
08-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Here is a link to the Full Audi Connect PDF document....

https://secure-www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw/myaudi/pdf.Par.0001.File.pdf

@mark
08-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Here is a link to the Full Audi Connect PDF document....

https://secure-www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw/myaudi/pdf.Par.0001.File.pdf

I did go round this loop some months ago (see my earlier comment).

That PDF is not A7 specific so there are features in there that are exclusive to the A3 for example so don't assume that if it is in that book, it's on the A7

I ended up calling customer services, reading this document and others on other regional Audi websites

For me, map updates are not listed on My Audi. I am interested to see if you guys with older cars can actually see these options listed or if it is just in the handbook

Ian475
08-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Looks to me like its just in the handbook for me as its certainly not on my Audi site.seems a bit of a con as I can't see anywhere in the PDF that excludes a7 from the facility.
apart from being able to send a destination from your PC to the car I can't see what else audi connect is for?

@mark
08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Looks to me like its just in the handbook for me as its certainly not on my Audi site.seems a bit of a con as I can't see anywhere in the PDF that excludes a7 from the facility.
apart from being able to send a destination from your PC to the car I can't see what else audi connect is for?

As I mentioned before, I was told (can't remember if it was on the phone or if I read it somewhere) that a lot of the stuff (such as the online traffic discussed in a different thread) is only available to the first owner and then, only if that first owner signs up in the first 6 months of ownership

All very vague