PDA

View Full Version : Fixed!

M1tchy
24-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Well after 3 trips to my local Audi dealer to sort some near unbearable rattles on the drivers and passengers door in the front of my new A7 they still hadnt managed to fix them and even made one worse so I bought an Audi workshop manual which detailed how to take the doors apart. I followed it step by step and within 5 mins had both doors off. I covered every bit of plastic on plastic with foam and cloth tape then put it all back together - SILENCE :biglaugh: I am very happy.

If anyone wants details or exploded diagrams of any part of any Audi, just give me a shout.

silo24
24-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Great stuff....

I just had to take the centre speaker cover off as was getting bad resonance when on phone calls.....plastic on plastic rattle again!

Gareth

shabazmo
25-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Well done on the fix, but I would have thought audi should have fixed these problems by now. My Audi is nearly 3 years old and those problems, but after 6 months. mine went back a few times before they were fixed. I take it you have elsawin software, or would it be different.

M1tchy
25-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah I was surprised they didnt fix it too. I had found all of the rattles and told them how to shut it up (i.e. push here press there etc) but after 3 trips which is 42 miles and 90 mins for a round trip to the nearest dealer, I had enough and did it myself. Yes it was the elsawin I bought, very easy to used and just what I needed for this job.

Goncalo Proenca
25-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Well after 3 trips to my local Audi dealer to sort some near unbearable rattles on the drivers and passengers door in the front of my new A7 they still hadnt managed to fix them and even made one worse so I bought an Audi workshop manual which detailed how to take the doors apart. I followed it step by step and within 5 mins had both doors off. I covered every bit of plastic on plastic with foam and cloth tape then put it all back together - SILENCE :biglaugh: I am very happy.

If anyone wants details or exploded diagrams of any part of any Audi, just give me a shout.

I have webserver with almost unlimited space and transfer available

Scan that manual, in very high resolution, and I'll make it available to anyone ( I'll put it on the webserver )for download.

shabazmo
25-10-2013, 09:44 PM
M1tchy, Good to see someone else with a technical mind. I have the same electronic manual. I do all my own maintenance, but have to wait until March 2014 when the 3 years are up. I will then start having fun. I have most tools, a pit in the garage, compressor and tools, a bit OCD, but then I probably save lots of money. If you need to discuss anything technical, just let me know.

M1tchy
26-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks, will do. I love a good technical job. The most interesting I have done was on the wifes last car I fitted full adaptive xenons, with auto leveling, headlight washers and a new body kit while I was at it. I then changed all the LEDs behind the clocks and all the controls to blue. It all worked first time to. Also put extra internal lighting in my Inshitnia.

Have you done anything to your A7 with VCDS yet? The only thing im going to do is add the Adaptive cruise distance preset option. I cant think of anything else that I would want to do to it.

jk88
26-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I cant think of anything else that I would want to do to it.
You might want to think about adjusting the lower speed limit for the high beam assist. It's preset to something like 40mph so I adjusted mine down to around 25mph. Makes it far more responsive if you meet other cars on twisty country lanes.

M1tchy
26-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Ooooo, I like the sound of that. Do you know the coding please?

Guest 2
26-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Ooooo, I like the sound of that. Do you know the coding please?

Have a look here and see if any of the C7 boys have done it - A6 C7 VCDS Tricks (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?132245-A6-C7-VCDS-Tricks)

M1tchy
26-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Na its not there. Read through it a few times (unless ive missed it). Hopefully JK88 can share it next time hes online.

shabazmo
26-10-2013, 09:45 PM
M1tchy, You are probably a bit more advanced than me. I tend to keep the car original and focus on maintenance and rectification. I have made 2 small modifications. The first was raising the temperature of the heated steering wheel from 28C to 32C, and the second was to activate the cornering lights which switch on when you turn the steering wheel or the indicators. What I miss is not having orderred "high beam assist". I would love to add this but can't find any information for it.

M1tchy
26-10-2013, 10:04 PM
It was only a vauxhall! A lego set is more advanced lol. I keep my cars OEM too though, all the parts for the wifes Astra were OEM. It cost a bomb. Ive always liked tinkering and used to service my mums LADA from about 14 years old.

I took the heated steering wheel off my options list, and still not sure why I did it! I have high beam assist on both mine and the wifes. I can do a scan and give you the results to see if you can see a difference if you like? I have all LED lights though so might throw things out?

I would like to activate the speed recognition camera though as it uses the same camera as high beam assist, again, I took it off my options list and have no idea why.

jk88
27-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Na its not there. Read through it a few times (unless ive missed it). Hopefully JK88 can share it next time hes online.
Will need to run the VCDS to remind me what I changed, will come back to you as soon as have done, hopefully later today if I get the chance

Guest 2
27-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Everything you change is logged in a folder called Debug in the RossTech program directory ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jk88
27-10-2013, 02:12 PM
M1tchy, in VCDS, select controller 20 - High Beam Assist. When the window opens, select Adaptation. When that window pops up, select High Beam Speed Threshold from the drop down menu. In the third box down on the left put in the value you would like to change it to (the current value is in the box above it). The value is the speed in Km/h, I set mine to 40 (was set around 60 previously). The long code on my car now reads 04028E64747464545425363E.

Let me know how you get on.

M1tchy
28-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Awesome, thank you. Will have a go when I get home in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

shabazmo
28-10-2013, 12:22 AM
It was only a vauxhall! A lego set is more advanced lol. I keep my cars OEM too though, all the parts for the wifes Astra were OEM. It cost a bomb. Ive always liked tinkering and used to service my mums LADA from about 14 years old.

I took the heated steering wheel off my options list, and still not sure why I did it! I have high beam assist on both mine and the wifes. I can do a scan and give you the results to see if you can see a difference if you like? I have all LED lights though so might throw things out?

I would like to activate the speed recognition camera though as it uses the same camera as high beam assist, again, I took it off my options list and have no idea why.
The problem I have is that i don't have the camera and I beleive the rear view mirror is different. If you have the part numbers of these 2 units, that would be a start. I can then purchase both items and take it from there. Because of their price, I will try and buy second hand from ebay. Germany has more parts breaking than in the UK.

@mark
28-10-2013, 05:25 PM
So I was reading this blog today

Project S7: H&R Suspension, V1, Minor Tweaks and an Introduction to Brink Motorsport - Fourtitude.com (http://fourtitude.com/features/project_cars_and_builds/project-s7-hr-suspension-minor-tweaks-and-an-introduction-to-brink-motorsport/)

And with this thread in mind, THIS comment stood out

We also went to work with the VCDS program and made several personal preference changes to the S7 which mostly centered around lighting, LED brightness, turn signals, amber marker lights and other “euro” lighting options. Interesting side note: the Full LED headlights on the S7 come from the factory at an effective level of 11% brightness. 11%. Remember the Audi 2012 Super Bowl commercial featuring the S7, #SoLongVampires ? If 11% brightness makes vampires combustible, I wonder what 100% will do

So if I am reading that right, it means that your LED lights have rather a lot more to give than you are currently getting :cool::cool::cool::firedevil

M1tchy
30-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Ive seen posts like that before, I think what it refers to is the brightness of the DRL LEDs. They drop to 11% output when they headlights are on. Ive seen people up them to about 50% even with the lights on but dont see the point myself.

However, if it refers to the full LED headlights and they are only at 11% brightness - WOW, they will be very bright if there is a way to change them!

M1tchy
30-10-2013, 12:39 PM
The problem I have is that i don't have the camera and I beleive the rear view mirror is different. If you have the part numbers of these 2 units, that would be a start. I can then purchase both items and take it from there. Because of their price, I will try and buy second hand from ebay. Germany has more parts breaking than in the UK.

I will have a look for you.

M1tchy
31-10-2013, 04:23 PM
M1tchy, in VCDS, select controller 20 - High Beam Assist. When the window opens, select Adaptation. When that window pops up, select High Beam Speed Threshold from the drop down menu. In the third box down on the left put in the value you would like to change it to (the current value is in the box above it). The value is the speed in Km/h, I set mine to 40 (was set around 60 previously). The long code on my car now reads 04028E64747464545425363E.

Let me know how you get on.

DONE. Nice and easy and exactly like you said. Thank you very much. Just need it to get dark now so I can test it out. I live in the middle of nowhere on a twisty country road so will be interesting to see how different it is.

silo24
31-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I need to be able to do this stuff!!!!!!

Any recommendations where to get the cable and SW from?

kite
31-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Contact NHN on the forum. The software is a free download but will only work with a genuine cable.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

silo24
31-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Contact NHN on the forum. The software is a free download but will only work with a genuine cable.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will do.

silo24
31-10-2013, 09:12 PM

jk88
01-11-2013, 07:59 AM

I bought mine from these guys, one of a few authorised distributors in the UK.

Gendan Automotive Products :: Professional and DIY car diagnostic tools :: EOBD, OBD II, CAN and VAG Code Readers and Scan Tools (http://www.gendan.co.uk)

Alternatively you can buy used on eBay, however the genuine interfaces were not much cheaper than buying new at the time, plus you get free tech support from Ross-Tech.