PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Abnormal Front tyre wear - Inside edge

dsnotts
22-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Guys n Gals

I was after some advice really abt what might cause this...over the wkend i took my boy to football and had to park on the field, no with all the rain it was a little slushy. Was like driving in snow but i managed to get it off the field, anyway on the way back home i heard a tapping around the wheel arch, got out and found a 3mm strip of rubber (from inside edge osf tyre) flapping on the arch by the time i got home the strip fell off on my drive, never seen anything like it before - could the crazy wheel spinning in the field have caused this...? Dunno.

Anyway, took it to local tyre centre (good local guys) and put my hand round the back to feel the inside edge and it was like a small flap of rubber had developed i.e. worn away sooo much, chap said other nsf was the same, put my hand round the back of nsf and low and behold it WAS! OMG!!! whats that all abt? So suggestions what might have caused it? Crazy wheel spinning in muddy field? Or unbalanced wheels? Car is still under warranty so is it worth getting Audi to have a look?

Appreciate ur feedback.

Guest 2
22-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Alignment must be out. My old Mondeo wore its rear tyres in the inside like nothing ordinary, a full laser aligment was done and no more odd wear.

dsnotts
22-10-2013, 10:57 AM
A6_Chris, Cheers...i had suspected that but what worries me was that i'd not felt anything unusual from the car, the main part of the tyre has still got decent tread on it. I think the 'crazy spinning' on the field might have accelerated the deterioration as since then turning the wheel on almost full lock i can feel the difference. Just so glad i've spotted it now, just not so glad at the cost of replacement...Audi quoted £206 per tyre on the Pirelli P7 Cinturato...local is getting them in for almost £50 quid less per tyre!!!

Guest 2
22-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Wheel spinning on a field wouldn't of caused it to wear like that, get your alignment checked for sure.

markp306
22-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys n Gals

I was after some advice really abt what might cause this...over the wkend i took my boy to football and had to park on the field, no with all the rain it was a little slushy. Was like driving in snow but i managed to get it off the field, anyway on the way back home i heard a tapping around the wheel arch, got out and found a 3mm strip of rubber (from inside edge osf tyre) flapping on the arch by the time i got home the strip fell off on my drive, never seen anything like it before - could the crazy wheel spinning in the field have caused this...? Dunno.

Anyway, took it to local tyre centre (good local guys) and put my hand round the back to feel the inside edge and it was like a small flap of rubber had developed i.e. worn away sooo much, chap said other nsf was the same, put my hand round the back of nsf and low and behold it WAS! OMG!!! whats that all abt? So suggestions what might have caused it? Crazy wheel spinning in muddy field? Or unbalanced wheels? Car is still under warranty so is it worth getting Audi to have a look?

Appreciate ur feedback.

I had this on n/s/r Conti last year. The inside inch or so was really worn but the rest of the tyre had tread. However, nothing had detached like you describe here. Audi wouldn't look at it until the new tyre was fitted first. A full 2 hour laser alignment was done and thats the last I thought of it.

Interestingly the car failed the MOT in September (at 5 years) with the n/s/r shock absorber although both rear shocks were changed together along with a service.

So at this point I traded it in for a facelifted A5 and hope its a better bet.

neebsta
23-10-2013, 12:10 AM
It seems to be an Audi trait - excessive tyre wear on the inside edge. My A6 Avant was terrible for it.

dsnotts
24-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Appreciate your help guys, taking it in tomorrow. Just out of curiosity how much can i expect to pay for a full alignment?