PDA

View Full Version : Carbon intake for 4.2

mjhamilton
20-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Anyone have one of these APR Audi S4 (B6/B7) 4.2 Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System (http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/intake_carbonio_b6b7s4.html)

I have heard that after market filters don't make much difference on the s4 b6 but this looks nice

Doctle Odd
20-10-2013, 07:11 PM
For £358.00? Hardly a bargain is it?

mjhamilton
20-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I would tend to agree - bit money aside do these make any difference to the airflow?

Doctle Odd
20-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't think so mate but you'd need input from the pointy headed guys! I know a bigger inter-cooler provides more cold air but where would you put it?

mjhamilton
20-10-2013, 08:14 PM
My 4.2 is normally aspirated ;)

I am just getting ideas for winter projects - my milltek cat back is one but I was wondering about an in take

For my Honda ep3 I engineered my own intake system and got a much better power curve and added about 4% power

Got to have something to mess around with on those long winter evenings ;)

Doctle Odd
20-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I can't see how a carbon intake could be any colder. I'd like something to mess around with on the long winter evenings too but how would I explain her to Mrs Odd?

mjhamilton
21-10-2013, 07:17 AM
I guess the main difference on this unit is the the claim that

1 - the carbon box is more insulation a against heat soak than the OE unit
2 - the cone filter passes air better than the OE panel

I guess i could achieve similar results with some stick on thermal insulation material and a k&n

Doctle Odd
21-10-2013, 07:32 AM
I have to admit it looks great

mjhamilton
21-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Well that is the other thing - sometimes we buy stuff just because it looks nice ;)

adamss24
21-10-2013, 08:52 AM
You get more bang for your money if you upgrade the map, as above, the engine is NA so the CAI will make jack difference on a dyno- will sound cool though ! I too bought an b6 s4 recently and i was planning to get it tuned a little but- apart from a remap and a supercharger kit that cost more money than Zimbabwe GDP, there's not much out there for the old 8 pot engine. Enjoy the car for what it is, 370-380Bhp with a remap is a lot of power in today's money ! However, after driving tuned v6 diesel engines as daily, i do miss the shove in the back you get from the turbo !

mjhamilton
21-10-2013, 08:59 AM
let's set the baseline here - my S4 is my toy/hobby - I do about 10 airport runs a year and the rest of the miles are all pleasure and nothing more (I work from home) - just like to spit and polish things up to make them the best they can be but at the same time I am not really into making drastic changes

I think you guys are helping here with my suspicions here - the intake and exhaust on the v8 are pretty good as stock from what I can see so improvements are not easy (unlike some of my other cars) so fitting this intake an a Milltek (without a remap) are really just going to look nice and sound very nice and nothing more :)

Guess what I will be doing over the winter months :biglaugh:

One more note - I did see that the Milltek systems are 2.25" internal diameter - this seems a little restrictive to me... but I guess this is what works on this engine?

Revaj1108
17-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Today I decayed my s4 b6 and what a lovley note it has and also better throttle response and BHP no doubt