PDA

View Full Version : wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please !

Goncalo Proenca
20-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Hi there peeps,

So I want to trade up my trusty Mini Cooper S for a family car and was all set in stone in buying a almost new BMW520D maxed out with extras when, out of the blue, a dealer ( the one I bought the Mini Cooper from) calls me and says " I have your dream car here".

So we talked over the phone ( going there on Monday ) and the car is a Audi A7 3.0 TDI , non quattro version. I never though about the A7, albeit I adore the car and my wife loves it to death, just for the single reason that was out of my reach ( here in Portugal, used A7's are in the 66-75k euros range.. They cost about 85-90k euros new, so thats about right ). But this one is a 204ps altough with a few extras and its in mint condition, late 2011 model and priced very reasonably at 52k euros... my limit was 48k euros for that BMW, but heck, I just adore the A7 so what the hell.

Now, I've been reading to death about the A7 and still have a few questions :

- the car is a 204ps model and it comes with a multronic gearbox
- the car DOES not have ( he sent me pictures ) a S kit, which in this model is good due to the unfortable ride
- however, it does come with 20 inch rims ( uh oh , there goes confort ) but thats easy - If I find them too agressive ( they look the business though ) , when tyre change is due, I'll buy 19 inch and sell these - maybe the whole change will be peanuts
- extras included are : 20inch rims, updated MMI, BOSE sound, keyless system, automatic parking, heated steering wheel. 4 zone zircon, etc ... apart from the standard stuff ( heads up display, leather everywehere, etc )

Questions :

- what to look out for ? I know that A7's are known for being reliable and apart from the hundreds ( yap ) posts I've read everwhere, their prone to rattles and vibrations ( mid console, doors, hud ) but Audi usually fix them. What else ?
- how do I know the car has air suspension ( the optional ) ? I know they come with the Audi Dinamic selector ( for gearbox and suspension ) but there is also a air suspension option. how do I know if it has it ?
- the delaer told me that he thinks the car comes with sport suspension. how do I know (apart from the thing being unfortable in potholes :) ) that it includes it ?
- he's not sure if the car has a google earth option - he says that has the upgraded mmi, its huge and in 3D, but there is no "texture" in the buildings - only 3D models. is that the google earth GPS with no data connection ? in all A7's that I saw with the Google Earth GPS, it said "GOOGLE" on the lower bottom corner of the GPS. If it doesnt say, it is not ?
- seats are heated - does the A7 comes with massage seats ( a-la-Mercedes ) ? or just eletric and heated, vented as option ?
- where do you activate the night vision mode ? where in the dash ?

It will be my first time in the A7, the pictures he sent me the car looks mint and I'm super, hyper excited. Its really a dream car for me, at affordable I can get price ( thank you miss depreciation ). It has low miles ( 50k kms, roughly 35k miles ) and its so-so recent ( june 2011 ). It looks the business in my favorite combo - light interior, daytona grey outside, 20" rims.

Long time since I felt absolutly HYPER about a car ( trying to hide my excitment from the dealer, we are still negotiating the mini buy back :) )

Best and thank you all with the help - please throw me as much advice as you can.

Also - its a big car and I expect decent service bills. But what is normally expected to pay for a Audi A7 "normal" service ? 500-750 pounds ? I've never ever owned an Audi before, always been a Mercedes/Porsche/BMW man.

GP

M1tchy
20-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I picked up my A7 a week ago and love it. I will help where I can. Mine is suffering from a number of rattles and vibrations at the moment but as yours is second hand I assume the previous owner will have sorted them all out by now, if not im sure the selling dealer will sort it for you.

It comes with Audi Drive select as standard, if you go into the car menu, there somewhere there is a menu for the air suspension, it has "lift", "dynamic" and a few other modes, however if he said it comes with sports suspension it cant have air suspension (And vice verca). Try it out and see if you like the ride. Mine is on 20's and seems a very good ride so far. I wouldnt worry which suspension it has as long as you like the ride.

The google earth option is easy, right at the top of the dash on the right hand side, there is a button that says "open". when you press it a small plastic covering folds out. Inside it will have 2 SD card slots. If it has a SIM card slot between them it has google earth imagery, if there is no SIM card slot it doesn't. On the picture below it is the right hand button on the shiny black bit below the hazard warning light button. (this photo is not my car)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/0BE90FEB-C623-4705-BB8D-BF9AACE45527-902-000000C5164703C9_zpsedb040f3.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/0BE90FEB-C623-4705-BB8D-BF9AACE45527-902-000000C5164703C9_zpsedb040f3.jpg.html)

The night vision is also an easy one. On the left of the light switch (might be different in your country) there are either 2 or 3 buttons. The top one is the all weather light (looks like a cloud with rain coming out of it), the middle one is the night vision button (looks like a moon) the bottom one is the rear fog light (looks like the standard rear fog light button on any car). The following is what the buttons look like.

http://motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Audi-A7-Sportback-3.0-TDI-review-40-1024x682.jpg

Also on the picture below, on the right hand ring of the Audi badge you can see the night vision camera right in the middle. (This photo IS my car ;-))

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/IMG_2061_zpsa26620ee.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/IMG_2061_zpsa26620ee.jpg.html)

I hope it turns out to be the car you want, they are stunning and fairly rare here in the UK. If you have any more questions ask away.

Goncalo Proenca
20-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I picked up my A7 a week ago and love it. I will help where I can.(...)

Mitchy, thanks a ton with the replies. From looking again to the photos, sadly I notice the car hasnt got neither vented or heated seats, also doesnt have the NightVision, or so it seems by the photos.

Still have to hassel a tad the price down, but if the test drives goes ok and the car seems all right, will drive it home. Also, your tips on the suspension and lookg for the sim slot are trully helpfull. Really long long time I was this eager for a car.

Hope my couple next posts here includes pictures of my new A7 :)

Best

GP

M1tchy
21-10-2013, 12:13 AM
No problem, glad I could help. I'm pretty sure all A7's have heated seats? Again very easy to check, the photo of the dash I posted, near to the two silver dials there should be a button. The upper button is for heated seats, the lower one for ventilated. I can take a clearer picture of mine tomorrow and point out each gadget/button if you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Goncalo Proenca
21-10-2013, 07:54 AM
No problem, glad I could help. I'm pretty sure all A7's have heated seats? Again very easy to check, the photo of the dash I posted, near to the two silver dials there should be a button. The upper button is for heated seats, the lower one for ventilated. I can take a clearer picture of mine tomorrow and point out each gadget/button if you like?

thanks mate, you'r a star - no need though, I think I got pretty much covered where the extras are ( spent hours looking at those silly video reviews on youtube that dont drive the car - the "walkarounds", where they just sit in the car and say "here is this.. here is that" ) . Going to test drive car today / yay :)

One thing though : its a big car and big cars usually command big prices when it comes to parts and maintenance. Atlhough Audi is sensible on the maintenance costs, I'm expecting something on top of the A6 maintenance costs but still far from A8 - experience from A7 users ? 500-700 pounds or euros for a normal maintenance sounds about right ?

Thanks again Mitchy !

Guest 2
21-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Remember UK spec cars may be specced differently in standard trim to Portugese spec cars

I suggest you look at the latest brochure on Audi PT Homepage > Audi Portugal (http://www.audi.pt/pt/brand/pt.html)

M1tchy
21-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Enjoy the test drive!

Goncalo Proenca
21-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Enjoy the test drive!

eheheh thanks, you've been a star :)

So, test drive concluded. Car is mint. Milleage is low. Eveyrthing pretty much smells new, not a single micro scuff or tear.

Papers are on the bank and they are now checking the dealer, the car, any pending stuff, etc etc. Credit is pre-aproved, answer in 48-72 hours.

Car is gorgeous, drives great. Spec :

A7 3.0 TDI Multitronic, 204ps
Metallic Oolong black paint
20 inch , 10 spoke wheels. they are gorgeous
Beije Valcona leather interior with very dark brown console. looks the business
Wallnut wood trims
automatic, 4 zone air con
3 spoke, s line steering wheel in leather, heated
eletric steering adjustments
rear and back cameras
parking assist
head up display
electric tailgate
MMI plus with touch
Audi connect with bluetooth
Bose suround system

no homelink, no google earth shambles, no nightvision, no heated&vented seats :( oh well... can't have everything.

Still couldnt phantom if it has either sport suspension or air suspension. If I went into the CAR menu, it gave me the options of DYNAMIC, CONFORT, etc but dont know if that was for the gearbox or for the supension or for both :)

anyway, took it for a long ride and comfort is great, punch is good ( was worried about "only" 204ps ) , perfect suitable for city driving and mild highway crusing ( up to 100-110 mph or 160-175kph ). Confort is good with 20 inches, so all is good.

Shaked hands, went to the bank and started the whole thing : hopefully by the end of the week, I'll belong to the A7 club. Funny thing, at 38 years of age buying an A7 and I'm hopeless excited about it - mind you, my previous family car was a F01 BMW 750i and my sports car is a Porsche 996 Turbo. But there is something special about the A7... Bit sad that isnt the 245hp with a few more goodies, but this will do for what is intended - and with style :D

M1tchy
21-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Sounds great, hope it all goes through smoothly for you and you are cruising about in an A7 soon. Let us know when you pick it up and remember to post some photos up. That interior sounds lovely.

jk88
21-10-2013, 08:09 PM
To see if it has air suspension, go to the car menu, select individual and see if you can change the suspension settings between comfort, auto and dynamic. If you can, it has air suspension.

jk88
22-10-2013, 03:12 PM
To see if it has air suspension, go to the car menu, select individual and see if you can change the suspension settings between comfort, auto and dynamic. If you can, it has air suspension.
Just noticed that it comes up with the tag 'Air Suspension' in the Individual menu in Drive Select, so should be self evident if the car has it.

Ian475
22-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Just noticed that it comes up with the tag 'Air Suspension' in the Individual menu in Drive Select, so should be self evident if the car has it.

top left of the car menu should be the option with a soft key to "raise"the vehicle if it has it.

Goncalo Proenca
22-10-2013, 03:47 PM
thanks everyone. going there again to the car dealership, to make a longer testdrive to the car and to sign some paperwork, so I'll check more accurately the air suspension this time ( crossing fingers that has it, for the love of God, the thing has 20" inches of alloys, hope the owner was sensible enough to spec air suspension :D )

anyway, the Portuguese Central Bank imposed a measure to all finance deals above a certain limit ( Car purchase, house purchases, etc ) that you have 15 days to forfeit the deal, without notice, without reason. They are calling it buyers remorse.

Very unfortunately my finance deal is already under this law, meaning that I will have to wait 15 long, painfull and excruciating days looking to my new car over a glass window before I can drive it. Car Dealers and House Sellers are only giving keys away after those 15 days to prevent any joyriding - perfectly understandable but highly painfull. *sigh*

Goncalo Proenca
22-10-2013, 04:54 PM
another few questions , sorry to be a pain :)

how do I know if :

- it has speed limit recognition ?
- it has lane assist ?
- it has audi music interface ?

pictures of your lovely A7's showing the button for these things would be massive :)

Said the dealer to reserve the car, so ... fingers crossed :) also, is there any way to check if the previous owner specced rear differencial ?

I've called Audi Portugal and asked if they were given the serial number of the if they can check the options, "only at the buying dealers" .. hummm fishy answer :P

jk88
22-10-2013, 05:33 PM
If the dealer is happy for you to have access to the service booklet, you should find a sticker with all the technical details of your car on the inside front cover. Just take a photo of the details and then look them up on the internet when you get home (they are a series of 3 digit codes). This is the best way to know exactly what was fitted when it left the factory.

M1tchy
22-10-2013, 05:42 PM
another few questions , sorry to be a pain :)

how do I know if :

- it has speed limit recognition ?
- it has lane assist ?
- it has audi music interface ?

The lane assist is a button on the indicator stalk. It is on the very tip of the stalk and looks like a small picture of a road.
Audi Music interface, in the bottom of the centre arm rest (there are two levels) there will be the dock for the iPod / USB adapter.

Not sure on speed limit recognition im afraid, I didnt spec it.

Goncalo Proenca
23-10-2013, 08:17 PM
The lane assist is a button on the indicator stalk. It is on the very tip of the stalk and looks like a small picture of a road.
Audi Music interface, in the bottom of the centre arm rest (there are two levels) there will be the dock for the iPod / USB adapter.

Not sure on speed limit recognition im afraid, I didnt spec it.

you'r a star as usual Mitchy :)

Well, seems that I'm going to join the A7 clan shortly. Went to the dealer today again, drove it again and checked a little further :

- unfortunatly, it doesnt have air suspension. on the CAR / INDIVIDUAL menu, I can't change the suspension settings. Dealer said the owner said it had sport suspension specced, so today I took it for a long ride on Lisbon harsh roads - trust me, we have some; car with 20" is confortable enough, really nice.
-lane assist - nope, doesnt have

So told the delaer I would keep the car, finance told me that everything is approved and I call the insurance company to see if the car had accidents - four they said.

I froze.

Well, the girl said, two were simple stuff - one wheel was kerbed and the other was the bumper who had a few scratches. The other two seem simple, but can only give you the report tomorrow.

So I exahled and now in a couple of days I will have my first Audi :D Thanks everyone ( specially M1tchy ) for the help !

shabazmo
23-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Mmm, not sure about the insurance claims. Generally speaking, one would not claim small amounts from their insurance. Best to get proof of repair details rather than relying of verbal statements. Best of luck.

M1tchy
24-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Things could be different in Portugal with reference to claims etc though?

M1tchy
24-10-2013, 12:37 PM
you'r a star as usual Mitchy :)

Thanks everyone ( specially M1tchy ) for the help !

No problem, Glad I could help.

Goncalo Proenca
24-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Things could be different in Portugal with reference to claims etc though?

they are a tad different - in some cases, specially CEO's, CFO's, COO's, etc of big companies are given a full coverage insurance without any minimum.

Normally, even full coverage insurance have minimum and insurance companies only pay what exceed that value. for example, my Porsche 911 Turbo - is covered in case of collision for 60.000 euros, but have a minimum of 500 euros. That means if someone crash into my car, my insurance company only pays 59.500 euros, the minimum I have to pay. That is to prevent individuals to make a claim for every single thing that happen to the car.

When big companies make insurance for their fleet, insurance companies here give out the bonus to a couple of board members to have full coverage insurance for their car without minimum.

That was the case of the original owner of the car - he is a COO of one of the SAP divisions here in Portugal and it was confirmed by his previous insurance company that his claims ( and they gave me the Audi garage receipts ) were petty stuff - one kerbed wheel and a couple of scratches on the bumper.

Now I want to see the previous claims.

If its something like this, all ok.

Anything with serious crash, I'll walk away. Fingers crossed though, the girl from the other insurance company said the amounts were low hence should be petty stuff.

Goncalo Proenca
24-10-2013, 07:46 PM
AND ITS A DONE DEAL !!!

Managed to track down the previous owner of the car phone and talked to him, which was kind enough to provide all the invoices of the repairs, report what was the problem and contacts of the dealer who sold him the car and name and contacts of the service manager.

So, pretty much petty stuff and since he was/is quite picky with cars ( can relate to that :D ) and have a full insurance with no minimum, he put everything there. result : two of the situations were kerbed wheels, the other was someone who scratched the car, the other was a light touch to the rear on parking ( has pictures ) and the audi dealer confirmed everything.

Good car - albeit a bit electronic/eletric finky but most of the problems should be sorted out now, he said. He traded because family have grown and he bought a Q7.

So all is ok, going to be a A7 owner.

Man I'm excited :)