PDA

View Full Version : A how-to with some VAG-COM modules

Marco34
06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi

Since getting a genuine Ross-tech cable I've been able to make a few changes to my car that work successfuly. With all the info on the web I thought I would note them down here for anyone who wants to make quick changes without trolling the web.

If some are obvious then apologies. It has simply allowed me to make the car more functional to how I would like it.

Ross-tech HEX-COM cable serial interface on a 2001 A4 1.9TDI

First change I made was to the service intervals. I wanted 6 months or 5,000 miles as I like to drain the oil that frequently on the TDi. Note the values in bold I have changed and are personal preference.

After launching VAG-COM select the following:-

17-Instruments - Adaption-10 - Ch No. 42 Oil in 1 - min value 5
43 Oil in 1 - Max vaule 5
44 Insp 1 - Max days 182 (6 months)

There is plenty of talk re MPG and mine was very optimisitc. I calculated the true MPG and took a percentage difference. It was about 10% optimistic! :zx11: Why have a DIS that shows incorrent miles left and average consumption. I've changed this:-

17 - Instruments - Adaption-10 - Ch No. 3 - Origininal val 100 (this is a %) my new value is 110. Use TEST and see Average MPG drop in DIS! :approve:

I also wanted central locking at speed. This requires some calculation in Binary mode, but very easy.

46 - Central Conv - Coding-07 - Original Val 6859 New Val 6891

The following codes were active on my car. I simply added 32 to the orginal value and the doors now auto lock. Equally, by removing a Binary for the total value you would disable that function.

BinaryFunction 1GB Alarm
2 Anti theft warning bleep
8 Anti theft warning system
32 Auto Central Locking at 15 mph
64 Comfort function via remote control
128 Right hand drive
512 Confirmation close via remote
2048 Door/Window regulator logic
4096 Thatchem anti-theft warning

Hope this may help some of you. As I said, it is documented throughout the internet but we may as well build up a database of common changes that are easy to locate.

Regards
Mark

onzarob
19-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the write up, car lock at 15mph like a dream now, unlocks when i remove the key from the ignition;)

chrisvrscrx
19-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Do you know how to make the lights come on when the car is unlocked? I've heard this only works on Audi's tho but i'm not sure.

Marco34
23-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Glad you've sorted the autolock.. ;) I like it when it un-locks when the key is removed..

I'm not sure how to set the lights to come on... will investigate that one.

Onzarob - what changes have you made to the egr??? Interesting to know if you don't mind??
Cheers

onzarob
24-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I've just set the EGR to the lowest level, mainly due to it not affecting to much,as a test, but have found a difference, the car smokes less :)

Go into ECU with engine running and login code 12233. then click adaption and channel 03 should have a value of 32768, change the value to 33768 and jobs done, it may give a slighty lower value but thats ok.. This info is on the ross-tech site. have a go ;)

cbrpaul
27-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I've just set the EGR to the lowest level, mainly due to it not affecting to much,as a test, but have found a difference, the car smokes less :)

Go into ECU with engine running and login code 12233. then click adaption and channel 03 should have a value of 32768, change the value to 33768 and jobs done, it may give a slighty lower value but thats ok.. This info is on the ross-tech site. have a go ;)

Just done this too , works a treat so far ,

:beerchug:

cbrpaul
27-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Engine idle speed adjustment ,

I did this last night stock idle is meant to be 903 rpm , mine was at 810rpm, i got it upto to 861 rpm, as the max figure i can input was 32800 from 32768 .

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11] [Adaptation - 10]
Enter the "channel number" below to select each channel.
Put in the suggested value(s) in "new value".
[Test]
Observe the "test value" field to make sure the adaptation setting is acceptable.
[Save]

Channel 2: idle speed

No login required
The stock adaptation value should be 32768 (corresponds to 903 rpm).
Increase or decrease this to change idle speed.

seralph
23-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I also wanted central locking at speed. This requires some calculation in Binary mode, but very easy.

I tried this on my Passat se 130 tdi today but when I got to coding 07 I couldnt find the value of 6859 to change and couldnt find this binary mode you talk about where is that.

Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Regards Steve

Sloggs
17-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Is it possible to find how how many MPG you do using Vag Com?

krobb45
23-12-2007, 02:33 AM
I tried to enable the central locking speed on my '99 A4 B5, but Vag-Com won't read the 46-Central Conv. module. Any suggertions?:1zhelp::confused:

cbrpaul
23-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I tried to enable the central locking speed on my '99 A4 B5, but Vag-Com won't read the 46-Central Conv. module. Any suggertions?:1zhelp::confused:

some dont have one thats why m8 , even though its shown doesnt mean its there !! !!!

Mine doesnt either !!!

Loofer
29-12-2007, 01:24 AM

What's the purpose of the EGR and what affects does it have by changing the values?

joeb
13-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Will the central locking speed feature work on a MK IV yr 2000 2.0 GTi?

smokey0123
23-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Will the central locking speed feature work on a MK IV yr 2000 2.0 GTi?

yes it will

tony_anon
18-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Binary[/FONT]Function 1GB Alarm
128 Right hand drive
Regards
Mark

Hi Marco,

Are the above functions already enabled? e.g. is the comfort function the "home parking" function when the lights come on via remote unlocking and stay on when via remote locking? If so, then mine is not enabled. Does yours work?

What's the diff between anti-theft warning beep/system/thatchem warning?

Sorry about the questions!

Cheers.

Marco34
18-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Tony

No problem with questions. The settings in black were the ones that were standard on mine. I have a document which I found on the net which has all those options for each adaption, ie Engine, comfort system, Instruments etc. Have a look at this link for how vagcom looks and works... it's quite good. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/main_screen.html

The comfort system is not the home parking lights. That's a kit you have to buy extra. The comfort system is when you keep the button pressed for locking/unlocking and the windows auto open/close, this also includes one door or all doors opening. That isn't present on the binaries above as I did it after I posted.

What's the diff between anti-theft warning beep/system/thatchem warning

My old A4 used to beep when everything was closed. It's only lights flash on the B6. I think you can enable the beep. System is the operation of the alarm. I assume the thatchem anti-theft is the alarm!! not sure, havn't changed that.

I also changed the instrument adaption. It's 02000 typically. I made it 02400. The 4 allows dor a seatbelt symbol for 10 secs when starting car!!! Just in case I forget seatbelt. No audiable beep though!! ;)

tony_anon
18-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Marco,

Thanks again, very useful info!! I'll have a go and PM you any probs.
I guess you have the full version of vag-com. i.e. paid for!

Cheers.

Theresias
18-02-2008, 03:02 PM
You may also want to check out our WIKI, we're updating it continuously so if you' missing some information let us know. ;)

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Diagnostic_Procedures

Marco34
18-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Yep, Wiki is good too.

tony_anon
25-02-2008, 05:43 PM

How does the increased fuelling and decreased EGR affect a car that's been re-mapped? Will it help or hinder it? Stupid question: What's EGR?!

EDIT: I've asked this in the main index but can't delete this post!

churp
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
The comfort system is not the home parking lights. That's a kit you have to buy extra. The comfort system is when you keep the button pressed for locking/unlocking and the windows auto open/close, this also includes one door or all doors opening. That isn't present on the binaries above as I did it after I posted.

My car had this working when got it and now it doesnt work. windows go up and down via switches but no longer via the remote.

A4Ade
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
My car had this working when got it and now it doesnt work. windows go up and down via switches but no longer via the remote.

The first thing I would do would be to check the coding and make sure the control module is definitely set up to do this. For remote operation of windows, I think adaptation channel 62 has to be set correctly, as well as having the relevant bit coded in.

If the module is correctly coded and the windows and remote still work individually, then I'm stuck!

churp
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
The first thing I would do would be to check the coding and make sure the control module is definitely set up to do this. For remote operation of windows, I think adaptation channel 62 has to be set correctly, as well as having the relevant bit coded in.

If the module is correctly coded and the windows and remote still work individually, then I'm stuck!

Do you no what the code should read?? i think off memory it currently reads 09155. i have auto door locking function

A4Ade
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
What it should read depends on what features you have set, although 09155 sounds wrong (assuming you have a UK car?) A common default for UK cars is 06859, or 06891 if you have the auto door lock function. Mine is currently 07919 because I also have the beep on lock, and selective 1 door/4 door unlocking.

09155 implies you have Bit 13 (+8192) set, which is "No SAFE-function USA only" (whatever that is). The bit you need to make sure you have set is bit 6 (+64) "comfort functions with remote". You also need to make sure the correct adaptation code is set in channel 62, which determines which comfort features the remote actually operates.

Obviously if this all used to work on your car, then either these codes have been changed, or something somewhat more serious has gone wrong.

churp
05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
sorry i put the wrong number, it is 06955

A4Ade
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
sorry i put the wrong number, it is 06955

This coding represents the following options being set:

Dec. Function
1 Great Britain- alarm system (only with bit 4)
2 flash on when arming/unarming alarm system
8 activate alarm system
32 locking via speed
256 avant
512 1x flash when lock with remote
2048 door/window-logic
4096 normal/????-alarm system

So, this implies to me that your car is a LHD Avant (although I'm no expert at these things)? It does appear to be missing the all important "bit 6" (+64) which enables the "comfort settings via remote". So, if you change your coding to 7019 this should activate it.

Unless you have changed this already at some point though, it seems odd that it worked previously.

If it still doesn't work after changing the coding, see what is set under Adaptation channel 62 and let us know...

churp
05-06-2008, 09:51 PM
no i have rhd saloon

A4Ade
06-06-2008, 12:57 AM
no i have rhd saloon

Well your coding of 06955 doesn't seem to agree with that. So, bearing in mind you say your remote used to operate the windows but no longer does, combined with your comfort system coding not matching your car, I would say that something is buggered...

Sorry that's not much help, but I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps someone else can offer a more educated opinion...?

tsunami
08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
This may seem like a silly question but is there a difference when doing the autolock at speed via the binary coding route and the adaption route (adaption of +1 as stated in ross-tech wiki)? Ive been trying to set my autolock all morning with no avail on my 2000 golf tdi. I can't use the adaption setting on my vagcom yet as its shareware but can do coding, my original code was 01412 but ive now changed it to 07442 with the intention of turning on the seatbelt warning and the washer fluid warning. It doesnt seem like its worked as i get no seatbelt warning.

Can anyone help? or should i just put my original coding back in?

Abit long winded but any help is very much appreciated. :beerchug:

CIMBOM
14-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but there’s loads of good stuff on here. I have a Passat 2005 (55 not new shape) 1.9 TDI 130ps car with only 42k on the clock. Just been looking into this for the last few says and I am fascinated by what can be done with the ECU's. I have 2 questions for you knowledgably VW people.

1. I am thinking of re-mapping my passat, I have been in touch with Chip-n-Spin (rep of CHIPUK), I am considering remapping to 180ps, have any of you had your car re-mapped by chip-n-spin and would you say in the long run it would damage the engine? chip-n-spin say no as the engine is restricted and they just unlock the power.

2. I want to be able to roll the windows up with the remote key however I have read somewhere it can not be done using the USB CABLE. it can only be done with the serial lead. is this true??? if this is true most new laptops don’t have a serial port right? Whats the best app to use?

PLEASE ADVISE

paul b
14-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but there’s loads of good stuff on here. I have a Passat 2005 (55 not new shape) 1.9 TDI 130ps car with only 42k on the clock. Just been looking into this for the last few says and I am fascinated by what can be done with the ECU's. I have 2 questions for you knowledgably VW people.

1. I am thinking of re-mapping my passat, I have been in touch with Chip-n-Spin (rep of CHIPUK), I am considering remapping to 180ps, have any of you had your car re-mapped by chip-n-spin and would you say in the long run it would damage the engine? chip-n-spin say no as the engine is restricted and they just unlock the power.

2. I want to be able to roll the windows up with the remote key however I have read somewhere it can not be done using the USB CABLE. it can only be done with the serial lead. is this true??? if this is true most new laptops don’t have a serial port right? Whats the best app to use?

PLEASE ADVISE

I have a 130PS A6. Those 130s are good eh ? :D

I'm no expert on re-mapping, but I want mine done when I have the money available. But no, it shouldn't damage the engine, but going up to 180PS would mean you would have to look after the clutch a bit, or fit an uprated one to be on the safe side.

As for whether the remote key function can be done with a serial port rather than a USB I'm not certain. I have fully registered VAG-COM 409.1 and this feature was already on my A6, but you would need to check first if this function is available on your model car, as I don't think it is on all VWs.

Paul

Eshrules
14-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I have a 130PS A6. Those 130s are good eh ? :D

I'm no expert on re-mapping, but I want mine done when I have the money available. But no, it shouldn't damage the engine, but going up to 180PS would mean you would have to look after the clutch a bit, or fit an uprated one to be on the safe side.

As for whether the remote key function can be done with a serial port rather than a USB I'm not certain. I have fully registered VAG-COM 409.1 and this feature was already on my A6, but you would need to check first if this function is available on your model car, as I don't think it is on all VWs.

Paul

right...

firstly, although the car is only 2 years old, you should bear in mind that a remapped gain of 50bhp WILL shorten the life of the clutch and flywheel, that much is a certainty. Personally, if I were remapping by that much, I'd be looking at uprating the brakes, clutch & flywheel. It's not a case of 'unlocking' power which is 'limited' it's a case of altering various factors, including the amount of fuel being injected. Bear in mind also, that remaps WILL void certain elements of the supplier manufacturer, you should contact them before going ahead.

in regards to the autowindows, tdiclub.com is an excellent source for information on this, BUT it is NOT something I would advise a newcomer to attempt, as you are working with hardcoding, long and short of it... if you fluff it up, it's irreversible.

That said, I'm almost certain your car would not need this doing, I'm sure it's a case of adaptation, I'm unfamiliar with the newer vehicles in terms of this so will investigate further.

IMHO

CIMBOM
14-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Gents,
thanks for your reply, I have spoken to chip-n-spin, they do more 130 passats than any other car, mainly passats and golf's. he thinks the clutch if larger on the 1.9 130 and can handle it however the 2.0 tdi might slip, strange i thought it would be the other way round. he thinks all i would need to do is change the air filter to a non oil pipe-cross side vent (something like that anyway)

uprating the flywheel and cluch is big bucks surely it would not be worth it for 40bhp? how much would you expect to pay for this kind of mod?

chip-n-spin say they do this mod all the time, he even has a passat 150 and has now remapped it to 210 and its is fine. how true i dont know, it could be a sales pitch. well i will think hard about it, anyone who has had the remap say it is the best thing they have done. 170 - 180 bhp with 280 tourch would be sooo niceee

paul b
14-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Gents,
thanks for your reply, I have spoken to chip-n-spin, they do more 130 passats than any other car, mainly passats and golf's. he thinks the clutch if larger on the 1.9 130 and can handle it however the 2.0 tdi might slip, strange i thought it would be the other way round. he thinks all i would need to do is change the air filter to a non oil pipe-cross side vent (something like that anyway)

uprating the flywheel and cluch is big bucks surely it would not be worth it for 40bhp? how much would you expect to pay for this kind of mod?

chip-n-spin say they do this mod all the time, he even has a passat 150 and has now remapped it to 210 and its is fine. how true i dont know, it could be a sales pitch. well i will think hard about it, anyone who has had the remap say it is the best thing they have done. 170 - 180 bhp with 280 tourch would be sooo niceee
An uprated clutch wouldn't be too expensive, but a flywheel could be. It depends on how long you intend to keep the car obviously.

Paul

CIMBOM
15-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I thinks I will have the car for 4 years aprox. if I get it remaped then i wont get too board of driving 170 - 180 bhp. I just dont wont be thrashing it but it would be nice to have the power when required, i just dont want to do long term damage to the engine or flywheel. so what kind of a clutch and flywheel would you recomend? How much do you think it will cost? Who do the VW mods, I know it is courtney turbos who used to do Vauxhall but not sure who would be VW's. let me put it this way, I live in MK and im not sure where the nearest and best place to get this kind of work done?

front disks need changing in the next 10,000 so I might get some performance ones to handle the extra performance. you dont think by remapping and boosting the turbo it will cause it to burn out in the near future?

regards
Hakan

dashdoc
05-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Please forgive me, my knowledge of Vag-Com is less than limited. Is there a way of changing the odo display of A8 to read MPH rather than KPH

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

:)

smokey0123
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Please forgive me, my knowledge of Vag-Com is less than limited. Is there a way of changing the odo display of A8 to read MPH rather than KPH

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

:)

What Year is it? Im pretty sure it can be done by changing the Instument cluster coding to Great Britain.

kite
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I also changed the instrument adaption. It's 02000 typically. I made it 02400. The 4 allows dor a seatbelt symbol for 10 secs when starting car!!! Just in case I forget seatbelt. No audiable beep though!! ;)

the coding on mine is 01400, but I have no seatbelt warning :confused:

MRahman
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi, I have an A6 99 Saloon 1.8t multi-tronic - anyone know how to increase or decrease - gear up time - i.e. how long till next gear - im using ross tech 409v.

Also has anyone got any other reccomendations for this veichle using vag-com - im quite excited tbh.

Cheers

4ud1a6
14-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Had the same Issue try:

go to 35-Cent.. Locks
Recode 07
Software Codding (Increase value by 32)
Works on my x reg A6.

sgjpro
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi

Since getting a genuine Ross-tech cable I've been able to make a few changes to my car that work successfuly. With all the info on the web I thought I would note them down here for anyone who wants to make quick changes without trolling the web.

If some are obvious then apologies. It has simply allowed me to make the car more functional to how I would like it.

Ross-tech HEX-COM cable serial interface on a 2001 A4 1.9TDI

First change I made was to the service intervals. I wanted 6 months or 5,000 miles as I like to drain the oil that frequently on the TDi. Note the values in bold I have changed and are personal preference.

After launching VAG-COM select the following:-

17-Instruments - Adaption-10 - Ch No. 42 Oil in 1 - min value 5
43 Oil in 1 - Max vaule 5
44 Insp 1 - Max days 182 (6 months)

There is plenty of talk re MPG and mine was very optimisitc. I calculated the true MPG and took a percentage difference. It was about 10% optimistic! :zx11: Why have a DIS that shows incorrent miles left and average consumption. I've changed this:-

17 - Instruments - Adaption-10 - Ch No. 3 - Origininal val 100 (this is a %) my new value is 110. Use TEST and see Average MPG drop in DIS! :approve:

The following codes were active on my car. I simply added 32 to the orginal value and the doors now auto lock. Equally, by removing a Binary for the total value you would disable that function.

BinaryFunction 1GB Alarm
128 Right hand drive

Hope this may help some of you. As I said, it is documented throughout the internet but we may as well build up a database of common changes that are easy to locate.

Regards
Mark

Hello,
i really do not know whether am completely off the topic, but i thought asking you considering your know-hows, would be better to post here.

i have a skoda ocatavia II with edc16 1.9tdi pd.
there was a problem with im*o, so i turned off the im*o using edc16 calc.
now my new problems are;
1. when i turn on the ignition key, the cluster gives a warning message "im*obilizer adjustment failure" and also the car with key light blinks...all this messages goes off when i start the car. but how to get rid of this message and car with key warning light?

2. after turning off this im*o in the ecu, my central locking system has stopped working!!! how can i get this central locking system back to work?

i have vagcom 8.05 version.
please suggest what to do? please help!http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/help.gif
regards,

rodders68
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
:biglaugh: hi all, newbie here.
just had a prob with brake switch on passat trendline 05. showed up as abs fault and wire light kept flashing
fixed it and all warning lights have gone off
would i need to get into the ecu for any reason.
where would one buy a connection to the port.
i have seen some on e bay, but i assume they are just the connection.
is the programme expensive.
had the car week now and getting used to it.

cheers rodders :beerchug:

onzarob
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
would i need to get into the ecu for any reason.

No, a fault code will be logged but not effect performance

Crackman 619
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Can anyone tell me where to get the codes from?

Also Marco how do you know wot codes to input and how do you know what they will change? Is there a book or something?

kite
11-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Have a look at the ross tech wiki

Booky16v
26-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

I have a code of 07151 on my B7 A4 avant.......what does this mean i have turned on? or can turn on?

audituning
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

Is there any changes to get rid off the bulb checking from Audi A4 2007?

And Is there any "hidden" setup menus in FIS? in this high instument cluster...

Thanks for all answers.

jrocket976
10-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know what module the power to the seats would be in? I somehow disabled my seat power.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk