PDA

View Full Version : How To Oil Change due soon

apache24uk
13-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi,

Car needs an oil change soon and want to do it myself (hopefully before winter sets in), anyone got any advise or a step-by-step guide on how to do this, is it easy? I know that this is basic stuff for some people but any help would be good

Cheers

Avidfanofstuff
14-10-2013, 07:17 AM
If you haven't already got one buy one of those oil sucky sucky things.

I hear it makes the job much easier.

mjhamilton
14-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Surely those things leave the gunk in the sump??

I have always driven the car to warm the oil up (which makes it flow better) and then just drained it from underneath

Boy
14-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I also prefer to change oil the conventional way, believing that it is desirable to flush the crud out with the old oil. I started a thread here a couple of months ago asking for any comments from those who had done this before without positive response, but mine is an oilburner 2.0 tdi 143. Since you have an S4, I assume that you will have the same height of front skirt as my s line, so you need to use racing ramps or carefully placed bricks or lumps of wood with normal ramps, or just crawl arround in the dirt getting the undertray off! I found that I needed a different filter cap wrench to the one I use on my B6. I'm afraid I don't know what the filter arrangement is like on yours. I shall post a write up when I transfer my photographs to my PC. I hope that you will do the same. The other reason for doing an oil change from below is that you get to take a look at what is going on down there, which is reassuring and potentially valuable.

apache24uk
14-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Cheers for the replies. I've also heard that is better to drain the sump whilst the engine still warm

Boy
14-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I agree. Definitely take the car for a run before pulling the plug. Use gloves and take care to avoid any exhaust parts which will be hot!

uncleron
15-10-2013, 11:33 AM
An expensive car to be learning on but not any more difficult than most other cars I would say.....

Just plan well in advance and check you have all tools & parts required e.g Sump plug & oil filter housing sockets, torque wrench if fairly new to this, genuine Audi oil filter, correct oil and sump plug washer to use.