PDA

View Full Version : B4 Passat - Cuts out when hot, then won't start

vampira77
06-09-2007, 03:02 PM
My 1996 Passat estate cuts out in hot weather or on long journeys. It then won't start again until it has cooled down (sometimes this is hours depending on the weather)

Several RAC men and a fortnight in a garage later and we are still none the wiser..... has anybody seen this problem before?

The following parts have been changed to no avail and so are eliminated:

Coil
Distributor
Wiring has been checked
Fuel Pump
a control box thing has been sent away for testing and has come back ok

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

vampira77
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
or... failing that, does anyone know a good vw mechanic in east london...?
Please help! I don't want to scrap my car....

adamss24
06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
My 1996 Passat estate cuts out in hot weather or on long journeys. It then won't start again until it has cooled down (sometimes this is hours depending on the weather)

Several RAC men and a fortnight in a garage later and we are still none the wiser..... has anybody seen this problem before?

The following parts have been changed to no avail and so are eliminated:

Coil
Distributor
Wiring has been checked
Fuel Pump
a control box thing has been sent away for testing and has come back ok

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Go to your local dealer and ask for the ECU power supply relay, also known as Relay 109. On early cars, the printed circuit break and when hot(arching), it will disconect the power to the ECU. There will be no fault codes logged into the ECU memory, because the computer thinks the ignition its turned off by the driver. When cool, it will contract and (witchcraft !) will let the car start again !

vampira77
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for that! sounds promising, though don't understand it!!! Could you /someone explain it again... sorry......

colorado
27-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Check the vacuum pipes, I had this on a 92 car it turned out to be a pipe was too flexible, when hot the tube walls collapsed under vacuum and stalled the engine.
Squeeze the tube when cold and if a section feel different cut it out or change the whole pipe. May be miles off but a very cheap fix if it works.

Good luck