PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A4 B5 - Loss of drive - Help appreciated

stevem365
11-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi there. Have been following vwaudiforum for some time but this is my first post. Love the forum and have found help with many issues on here. Did find it tricky to find how to post on here though...

I have a 2000 A4 b5 1.8T quattro sport. Have owned the car for 8 years and do most of the maintenance/repairs myself.

Recently when driving the car, put the car in gear and raised the clutch and the pedal travelled all the way up with no bite and no drive. Tried all gears and the drive to wheels had failed. I can still disengage clutch and select gears (i think) but engine just revs as there is no load on it.

Towed the car to my garage (good guy) and explained the problem, he would look at it next week, thought it was probably clutch issue. When i spoke with him he said the car drove fine and he could not find anything wrong.

Picked up the car and drove it home (about 10 min journey). As i reached the turning before home put car in second, turned into corner and clutch came all the way up and no drive. Managed to coast home and shove it onto the drive.

Towed it back to the garage to following evening (the missus who is towing me is not happy) and left it there with a note to mechanic that the problem had returned.

Mechaninc managed to replicate problem and said is most likeley to be the clutch (I had the clutch and DMF replaced 3yrs/22,000miles ago so was not happy as is costly). Clutch kit ordered and mechanic removed gearbox and replaced clutch which he said was faulty. I asked about the DMF, which he said was fine, which was a relief. Six and a half hours labour and the clutch kit later and I pay the BILL and collect my pride and joy.

Drove car to work on the Monday and all seemed fine. Gearshift was good and car driving fine. On the way home, in the middle of rushhour, crosstown traffic, put car in gear and raise clutch and no drive, not good, not happy, big lump and had to recruit help to shove it out of the way.

Rang garage and mechanic says "got to be the DMF then". I'm not sure about this now as I don't want to replace the DMF if it is a gearbox/final drive issue.

Does anyone ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

Regards Steve