PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem

richard faulkner
04-07-2006, 08:44 AM
:1zhelp: hi i hope some one out there can help me
i have a 1998 2.4se v6 if i park the car for a couple of days i have a small fuel leak offside by rear wheel i have taken the cover off by front of tankand there is no sign of where it is coming from.

so someone please help cheers

El Dingo
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Did you find it yet?

Here is a pic of the tank and surrounding bits...

richard faulkner
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
thanks for the reply but the image is too small to see

El Dingo
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
click on it to get a bigger version.

or right click and save it, then open in picture editor.

I uploaded the picture to the maximum that the forum would let me.

colinW
14-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi, are you certain it was fuel, i had the same model as you & i found something leaking onto my garage floor, it turned out that it was a small leak from where the flexi brake pipe goes into the rear brake caliper. the sealing washer was replaced & no more leaks, the garage said it was a common fault on a4's. i hope this may help you .

nickasaki
29-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I too had the same problem this was found out to be the fuel filter which is a total night mare to get to, the filter and the banjo bolt washers were made out of alloy and they had just oxadised causing fuel to leak, If you are thinking of replacing this yourself you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the filter !!!!!:zx11: Not a nice job to do on you back,then you will probably find the clamp that hold the filter wiil be seized and this is part of the fuel tank...good luck , but this was on my 2.6 Quattro A4 , im not 1005 sure if the filter is in the same place on yours but this would explain the problem

El Dingo
29-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi, are you certain it was fuel, i had the same model as you & i found something leaking onto my garage floor, it turned out that it was a small leak from where the flexi brake pipe goes into the rear brake caliper. the sealing washer was replaced & no more leaks, the garage said it was a common fault on a4's. i hope this may help you .

So true.

These cars are also prone to rear caliper seizure, symptoms being the rapid wear of the inner pad compared to the outer one. This can sometimes damage the piston/seal and lead to a leak.