PDA

View Full Version : Touran help

3narf
10-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Hello, as posted in the relevant section our Touran is dead. We got our local garage to read the fault codes (I don't know if it was genuine VCDS and don't want to offend anyone so I've posted here). The symptoms are that the instruments are dead and the engine starts for about a second & cuts out.

Could someone please help us interpret the fault codes?

Loads of faults logged but no communication with instrument cluster. I assume there's no fuse or relay providing power to the instruments. I have asked the question with no response.

Main relevant ones from engine management were:

01317 inst cluster implausible signal
18058 missing message from inst cluster
18049 which I can't find in the fault code list

A load more came up but we cleared them:

No idea where to go next. It could be the cluster or it could be the ECU. I can't afford to replace both. Or in fact, either.

I've emailed BBA Reman but so far had no response. I might try to find somewhere slightly more local who could rebuild the instrument cluster if anybody knows of someone.

Thanks in anticipation of any help anyone can offer.

Hex69
10-10-2013, 10:52 AM
I'd also try Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange (http://www.ecutesting.com/) recommended by Honest John.

Sam
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Starting and then dying is nearly always the immobiliser, which ties in with the two codes

The obvious place to start is the fuses - have these been checked?

If the fuses are fine, check all the connections from the ECU and into the cluster.

If the cluster is new or has been removed for any reason, check the connections on the back. Sometimes disconnecting the battery and touching the two cables together will clear codes - try that.

The last code is telling you to check the HVAC/Climatronic module for errors.

3narf
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks all. I checked all the fuses that looked like they might relate to the instruments etc but there doesn't seem to be any specifically for the instruments.

I don't suppose there's a fuse somewhere for the immobiliser, is there?

I did reseat the ECU connectors but everything looks clean & dry tbh.

Sam
10-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Have you had the clocks out at any point - check the connections on the back of the cluster. It's highly unlikely they'll dislodge themselves but...

Do you have a spare key you can try - that'll rule out a faulty key.

You say the instruments are dead - VW immobilizer activation demonstration and link to troubleshooting and repair - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQevsyarAw) - does this happen, or can you not see anything at all?

Have you tried touching the battery cables together?

3narf
10-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate any help at all at this point!

The symptoms are the same as the vid except the instruments are completely dead.

I've tried a different key and reseating the cluster, also cold shorting the +ve and -ve cables.

I'm sure the immobiliser isn't being deactivated due to the dead instruments; what I'm not sure about is if the instruments are dead because they're, well, dead, or if something within the ECU that provides power to them (or whatever energizes them - nobody seems to know) has failed.

Thx again,
Andy

Sam
10-10-2013, 01:15 PM
You should be able to check with a meter to see if there's power getting to cluster to rule out any breaks in the wiring.

AFAIK the immo is powered via the ECU so if all fuses/relays are alive and kicking then Hex's suggestion might be worth a punt - someone who knows more about the Touran than me would be able to assist you further.

I'll shine the CrasherLight into the air and hope he turns up:)

Sam
10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Out of curiosity I just searched the Ross Tech Wiki for those other codes.

Steering column/wheel issues;

18104/P1696/005782 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18104/P1696/005782)

18107/P1699/005785 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18107/P1699/005785)

Immo issues;

17978/P1570/005488 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17978/P1570/005488)

Powertrain issues;

18045/P1637/005687 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18045/P1637/005687)

Looks like you've either got wiring issues or, as you first suspected, the ECU has coughed.

Hopefully Crasher can assist further.

3narf
10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
You should be able to check with a meter to see if there's power getting to cluster to rule out any breaks in the wiring.

AFAIK the immo is powered via the ECU so if all fuses/relays are alive and kicking then Hex's suggestion might be worth a punt - someone who knows more about the Touran than me would be able to assist you further.

Thanks. The fuses all look OK but I wouldn't know which relays would be relevant tbh. I can't find anything coherent anywhere & I'm reluctant to just replace them at £10 a go...

I will have a try at finding 12V at the instrument connector, though!

Hex69
10-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, catman.......:)

Sam
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Relay 109 is the ECU power relay in most VAG vehicles.

Google "SSP_307_d1" for an overview of the Touran electrical system. If you also Google for "touran fusebox.pdf" you can see a cached version on smellybum.co.uk (the website that no longer exists, hence the need to check the cached version) it's not great, but it'll give you something to play with.

3narf
10-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks, I have both of those documents.

I don't seem to have a 109 relay; the ones under the bonnet are two 433s and a 458. I did try swapping the two 433s. There's also a 460 on the onboard power supply (whatever that is) under the dash.

3narf
10-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I just realised that page9 of the Touran fusebox pdf that I have says 'Toledo' at the top L corner, instead of 'Touran.' Maybe this is why the J285 fuse isn't where it's supposed to be...

3narf
11-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyway, the instrument cluster has gone off to BBA Reman today.

3narf
14-10-2013, 05:53 PM
OK, the good news is now we know the cluster has had it.

The bad news is they can't fix it! The processor has gone.

So I need to get a s/h cluster, but I guess it'll need matching to the ignition switch or ECU, won't it?

TDiTom
22-01-2014, 09:05 PM
If this hasnt been fixed it will not start without reprogramming the new clocks in.

Guest 2
22-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Think he got it fixed Help with Touran please - won't start, instruments not working etc - Page 5 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?137360-Help-with-Touran-please-won-t-start-instruments-not-working-etc&p=855428#post855428)