PDA

View Full Version : How useful is the corner cameras in tight spots?

xyz
09-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi!

I live in Japan and I am considering various car options.

As fun as it may seem:
- A3 sportback 1.8 (compact, small, easy to drive in narrow streets, a lot of car for the money and I can get it in 3 weeks!)
- A6 avant (lets face it, few cars are as multi functional as this class of station wagons. Incredibly useful!)
- A7 (the trunk space is pretty good and the car looks fantastic. Audi also happens to have one ready for delivery in the near future with colours and equipment that looks ok, so the wait will be just 1 month vs 4-5 months mentioned for A6 avant with the equipment/colours I want!)

Now I am wondering. I am living in Tokyo and we have a lot of narrow streets and corners, in fact, 2 of the 3 options to get to my apartment has streets and corners where you will need to focus a bit to do the turns on first attempt (don't need super precision, but you cannot be lazy, positioning and timing matter!) and where streets may get narrow enough that you could need to reverse if you meet another car and even then, it may be tight if the other car is A6/A7 sized.

I can always manage this, I am very used to the A6/A7 size of cars from a previous E class, but there may be another driver using the car at times which is not so comfortable with this so I am looking for options to make life a bit easier and safer.

The top view 360 degree camera on the A6 would seem to be useful in cases like this (I have no chance to try as Audi here have no demo cars with this type of equipment), but I find it harder to imagine how the corner cameras on the A7 would be useful.

Any opinions/thoughts/feelings? Does the corner cameras help in a situation like that?
Would be happy to hear if the top camera is actually useful as well.

Thanks!

M1tchy
09-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I have ordered the corner camera option on my A7 and pick it up in 3 days, I will get back to you and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)