PDA

View Full Version : MKIII Golf with possible heat issues

Sean Fleming
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Hello! Wonder if anyone can offer any opinions or shed any light on this for me. All suggestions gratefully received...

I bought a MKIII Golf Avantgarde recently. It's the cabriolet with the 2.0ltr 115bhp 8-valve engine, I believe.

The coolant expansion tank is creating a (very) hot-spot on the bonnet. Even after just a short run. Plus, when you stop, open the door and get out, a blast of very hot air hits you coming from the underside of the car - like opening an oven door. The radiator grille isn't hot, however. In fact, it's barely warm at all.

All of this is after just a 20 minute journey, not after it’s been flogged to death on the motorway, nor stuck in a traffic jam.

I've checked the coolant - the level's fine. I can't see evidence of any leaks or loose/damaged pipes/tubes, etc. I took it back to the trader I bought it from to take a look. He was at a loss as to what's going on.

The engine temp gauge stays in the normal position and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car's performance, but I think something's up. To my untrained eye it looks like it's not getting rid of the heat in the proper manner, instead the heat is finding alternative ways to dissipate.

Sorry – this has turned into a bit of an essay..!

Anyone had similar issues, or got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sean