PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 Fuel pump removal

rogernote
06-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Morning!

My car is a 97 Golf GTI Mk 3

I have just joined this site to find out how the hell you remove the fuel fump out of the tank. I have got as far as unsrewing the black ring ( took an hour to work that bit out), I've removed the sender unit but can't get the pump out.

Any suggestions would be increadibly welcome.

Once I've replaced the pump the car is for sale!!

Kindest regads,

Roger::zx11:

manc
17-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Morning!

My car is a 97 Golf GTI Mk 3

I have just joined this site to find out how the hell you remove the fuel fump out of the tank. I have got as far as unsrewing the black ring ( took an hour to work that bit out), I've removed the sender unit but can't get the pump out.

Any suggestions would be increadibly welcome.

Once I've replaced the pump the car is for sale!!

Kindest regads,

Roger::zx11:

I've just took a pump out of a 94 1.4 MK 3 Golf tank, if your pump is like mine you push down on it and turn it anti clockwise, there is a kind of shallow bayonet fitting underneath the outer body of the pump which fastens onto a ring in the bottom of the tank.

If it's any consolation I was at my wits end with mine.

Geithals
01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I am trying to remove a defective pump unit out of the tank.
It is proving difficult.
I remember I did it on a '88 Passat and afair it came out ok.

I have drained the tank. Stick in my hand, push down and put anticlockwise pressure.
All I get is a little bit of movement ,a solid clunk where it gets stuck and can't be twisted anymore.
I have been trying this for a good period and have lost hope that continuing this exercise will do it.
Any advice appreciated.

manc
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I also nearly gave up getting my old pump out and it's a long time ago now, so if I remember right the pump has an outer casing whilst the pump itself is spring loaded to make it draw fuel from bottom of the tank which makes grabbing hold of it uncertain.

I think the trick is to push it down evenly when you turn it with a bit of force so 'I think' all 'three' bayonets are released, again 'I think' the pump locks against a flat ring attached to the bottom of the tank.

It's certainly not easy given the narrowness of the opening and after a lot of wrestling it just undid all of sudden for me.

A postscript to this job is that I replaced my pump thinking that it had failed and then the fault occurred again in heavy rain, the symptom, it wouldn't start, firing just once or twice each time, like the fuel wasn't being pumped forward to the injector.

This fault turned out to be due to water trickling downhill along the bit of wiring loom which leads into the ECU connector and onto the contacts of the ECU pins, the ECU is sited underneath the covers at the bottom of the windscreen on a Mk3 Golf.

The cure, I re-routed the loom at this point detached the connector, by sliding a part under it's cover, and sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner. It then started first time on the key.

Good luck with the pump.

Geithals
02-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks, I will try that, with renewed hope.
I had thoughts of trying to wrap around an oil filter remover.

Geithals
04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Further on with removing a stubbornly stuck fuel pump from the tank.
It was still not budging using my maximun available muscle.
I bought an oil filter removal strap, cheap enough, covers diam up to 130mm,
Attached it around the pump and it popped out instantly.
The pump doesn't need downward pressure to assist the removal, just anti clockwise force to get it off its attachment.

I had a fuel pump which I had bought a few years ago and used a little bit in a 1.8L '89 Passat, it was a bit different but I could made it fit into the housing. I felt good about that bit.