PDA

View Full Version : uh oh... coil light and engine management lit up

Phil K
07-10-2013, 07:33 PM
They've just come on today. First the coil light was flashing and later on the engine management light came on to join it :(

I've not had a chance to drive it yet but the wife says it feels ok. I'm getting it booked in to be looked into tomorrow through my warranty (non-Audi) but wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom in the meantime???

Think this should be no3 in my run of recent bad luck so fingers crossed it the end of that for a while!!!

Guest 2
07-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I could place £100 bet on it being a DPF pressure sensor ;)

Lukenkarl
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I could place £100 bet on it being a DPF pressure sensor ;)Tempted...just for the hell of a bet

gdallas
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
yip...id put a bet on dpf sensor too

Phil K
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm... sounds like a cheepish part with a bit of luck!?!

Guess we don't really know until it gets a scan. Is it generally quite obvious when a DPF sensor fails fault code wise or do you get a number of codes that kick off a chain reaction of part swapping to narrow it down?

Guest 2
07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
The sensor will display as its own fault, hopefully they're up to fitting it and adapt it.

Hopefully like this

5162 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
P0471 00 [232] - Implausible Signal
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 106188 km
Date: 2013.08.16
Time: 14:43:33

Dieseldoos
07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Mine did similar a little while back and it was the sensor. I didnt bother with the warranty as it was in for a service anyway, and I reckon had I have tried to claim, it would have probably taken a few days to fix instead of in and out.

fat controller
08-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Knowing we both bought from the same place, I hope you don't get the same run around with the warranty as I did with mine Phil

Phil K
16-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Just to update this... the lights went off after a couple of days and haven't come back on since! So I've not had it looked at yet but have arranged to swap cars with SWMBO tomorrow so I can get it checked out!

oh, and FC I spoke to the warranty company last week and they're a cunch of bunts - I can see getting them to do anything will be a mission!

james_gray
16-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Most probably DPF sensor blocked up with carbon. Take the car on the motorway and drive in 3/4th gear, something above 3,000 revs for a few miles or so, might clear it. I had same problem this time last year and did that and not had a problem since!

mhurer
16-10-2013, 07:27 PM
oh, and FC I spoke to the warranty company last week and they're a cunch of bunts - I can see getting them to do anything will be a mission!

Which warranty company, if you don't mind me asking, so I can avoid them in the future. Thanks

Boy
16-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't suppose one warranty company is much different from another!

fat controller
16-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Just to update this... the lights went off after a couple of days and haven't come back on since! So I've not had it looked at yet but have arranged to swap cars with SWMBO tomorrow so I can get it checked out!

Sadly, I could have warned you about that mate - absolute shower of sh*te. I would buy again from Imperial, but no way would I be interested in taking any warranty.

EDIT - the warranty company is AutoProtect; complete con merchants. I was looking at their bumpf in another dealer more recently, and one of their terms is that the car must be serviced every six months or six thousand miles, whichever comes first. Now, I am no fan of longlife servicing, but every 6 months???

Dieseldoos
17-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Surely you could challenge that as long as the car has been serviced in accordance with the manurfacturers reccomendations, allthough they would probably use the wear and tear excuse! I have the same warranty, (brought from same place!) and if I could I would cancel it and get my money back! My fault though for taking it out.

fat controller
17-10-2013, 10:50 PM
They tried the wear and tear argument with me over the clutch and flywheel, and in fact the warranty never paid out for the clutch in the end; thankfully, Imperial did the decent thing and paid for the clutch part of the bill, as I had only had the car a week when I first reported the issue to them, and even after a few months of ownership I had only just covered around 1500 miles - hardly enough to wear out a clutch.

I'll have no qualms in going back to Imperial - - but wild horses would not get me to take the warranty the next time; I'd far rather either look for my own warranty/insurance or bank the cash and hope for the best (the latter being the most likely)