PDA

View Full Version : Privacy glass dealer fit

Pbro
04-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi ,

I notice that some used A7's come advertised as Privacy glass dealer fit.

Does this mean that this is an aftermarket job done at an Audi dealer or elsewhere ?

And is the quality as good as factory if done as aftermarket at an Audi dealer ?

I see that the black edition comes with this as standard and it also has titanium finish alloys to match which look the business to me.

Finally I have noticed there are a few cars out there with badge deletion (ie "A7" and "tDi" badges deleted from rear) . Can this be done aftermarket or is it cost-prohibitive ?

Guest 2
04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd say replacing all the darkened glass would be an expensive, time consuming job so I'm guessing they just get them tinted. Quality depends on the reliability of the tinter of course and the film they use.

Debadge is a no-cost option when new and can easily be done at home by yourself.

Pbro
04-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I'd say replacing all the darkened glass would be an expensive, time consuming job so I'm guessing they just get them tinted. Quality depends on the reliability of the tinter of course and the film they use.

Debadge is a no-cost option when new and can easily be done at home by yourself.

Really , de-badge can be done at home ? I thought they were probably riveted on. Are they just glued on then ? How exactly would you get them off without damaging the paintwork please ? Are there any guides on this forum as to how to go about removing them Chris ? Cheers.

Guest 2
04-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Full write up here - VW AUDI Forum - How to debadge an A4 B8 with one finger (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142278-How-to-debadge-an-A4-B8-with-one-finger)

Pbro
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Full write up here - VW AUDI Forum - How to debadge an A4 B8 with one finger (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142278-How-to-debadge-an-A4-B8-with-one-finger)

Thanks , that looked like a nice result. I think a debadged ibis white s-line A7 looks v nice.

@mark
06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
I am pretty sure that mine had the tints put on by the dealer and not at the factory.

The give away is around the very edges where you have like a dotted effect (hard to describe but look at the very edge of your rear quarter light and you will see what I mean) where is just looks a little odd (but only when really close up).

To be fair, the job is well done and is clearly of a good quality with no bubbles etc but you can tell the difference if you look close enough although only on the quarter light and rear screen. On the passenger door main windows, it just looks like tinted glass

Pbro
06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks , is the quarter light the windows either side of the rear window ?

So is the dealer fit a membrane applied to the inside aspect of the windows ?

@mark
06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
It's the little window behind the main rear door window

It does look like a film or membrane (I don't know how these are applied) because as the film goes over the mottled area, you can see tiny bubbles between the black dots already on the glass.

Guest 2
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
It's the little window behind the main rear door window

It does look like a film or membrane (I don't know how these are applied) because as the film goes over the mottled area, you can see tiny bubbles between the black dots already on the glass.

If the tinter is good at his job and uses high quality film, this won't happen.

Pbro
06-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Does the factory fitted version basically use a film approach or is the tint in the glass itself ?

Btw, I note that it's possible to factory spec tint as well as sound/heat insulating glass in one , I think it's £850.

When I test drove the SE I thought it was a fairly quiet ride what I thought was without sound insulating glass. It was a Quattro 204bhp.

Guest 2
06-10-2013, 12:39 PM
The proper factory option is tinted glass, not film.