PDA

View Full Version : Loud booming/whirring noise and vibration at 65, and 30

DL71
06-09-2007, 03:59 AM
First post, hope someone can help...

I've got a problem with my Mk3 Golf GL.

At around 65mph there's a loud booming/whirring noise and a lot of vibration, which seems to come from the mid/rear or the car. It is very loud at that particular speed and makes the cabin rattle, but it is much quieter at either side of that speed (say 55mph or 75mph).

There's also a similar low booming/whirring noise at around 30mph, but not as loud.

Any ideas what it might be?

Confused...
28-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi there,
We have thesame problem with a '95 Polo.
We've had the car jacked up and found no play in the wheel bearingsand they rotate quite smoothly, which was our initial thought. It still does it whilst driving along with the car in neutral and the engine off, so we're guessing that it is either a bearing or a problem with the diff or gearbox??

Anyone ot any ideas?

pstanton
02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi there,
We have thesame problem with a '95 Polo.
We've had the car jacked up and found no play in the wheel bearingsand they rotate quite smoothly, which was our initial thought. It still does it whilst driving along with the car in neutral and the engine off, so we're guessing that it is either a bearing or a problem with the diff or gearbox??

Anyone ot any ideas?

I've got exactly the same on m "N" reg 1.8. Did you get any further with the diagnosis? I was about to jack the car up and see if the noise was still the same but the forum suggests this would make no difference? And yes; I checked the wheel bearings first!

Peter Stanton

Ben
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
its not a dodgy exhaust mount is it?

DL71
14-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I had this fixed and it was the rear wheel bearings - both were worn.