PDA

View Full Version : Squeak when pressing clutch pedal

robroy959
06-09-2007, 12:55 AM
I recently purchased an ex-demo 2006/56 2.0 SE Tdi Passat Estate (manual transmission) with 9k on the clock. I've since noticed an intermittent sound - a bit like a squeak - when I press the clutch pedal to change gears. It happens about 50% of the time, always when the pedal is nearly fully depressed. It doesn't appear to be related to vehicle speed, gear selected or whether the car is cold or fully warmed up. I'm pretty sure the noise isn't coming from the pedal itself (or my shoes!), and I can't replicate it when the engine is switched off. The clutch action itself is fine and gearchanges are smooth - it's just the noise that irritates me, and of course the fact that there might be an impending breakdown. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I'll be taking the car to the dealer soon, but any information you can provide before then is most welcome.

bora(ing) nick
06-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I have the very same squeak.....

But mine is coming from the clutch pedal itself. Mine squeaks at around 3/4 of the clutch travel. Almost sounds like a mouse. i just turn the radio up, and you don't really notice it then.

Nick

Slimbarry
06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Guys,

Not trying to alarm you but I had that on my MK4 golf GTI a couple of years ago and in the end a weld on the clutch pedal failed resulting in the bending of the cltch master cylinder.

Have a loook to see the part of the pedal that bears on the master cylinder is not bent.

robroy959
06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Sounds like we do indeed have the same problem Nick. I'll concede that the noise could well be from the pedal, despite my first impressions. You know how difficult it can be to isolate noises, particularly when concentrating on driving.

I'll have a close look at the pedal tomorrow. From what Slimbarry says, I think I'll book it in to the dealer sooner rather than later.

mluton
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Mine was the clutch pedal pivot point. WD40 sorted mine 18 months ago.

Get in the footwell and give the pivot point a good soaking.