PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the Passat Estate boot trim?

robroy959
06-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I've recently acquired a 2006/56 2.0 Tdi Passat Estate. I'm considering fitting rear parking sensors but am a bit unsure of where to tap into the reversing light wiring. It looks as if a fair bit of trim dismantling is required. This doesn't daunt me, but I'll gladly seek the advice of other forum members before merrily pulling bits off the car! If anyone has a step-by-step guide, so much the better. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Slimbarry
06-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey Robroy,

I have just bought a kit myself - its the genuine one from VW and has full instructions. If you want I can scan the instructions and email them to you?

Slimbarry

robroy959
06-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey Robroy,

I have just bought a kit myself - its the genuine one from VW and has full instructions. If you want I can scan the instructions and email them to you?

Slimbarry

That would be great if you could. Thanks.

Quatrelle
06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
I fitted a Meta Targa kit to mine. Less than £!00, no visible drilling, and seem to work well.

robroy959
06-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I had been thinking of fitting the Quanan 1840V kit. However, I'll consider the Meta Targa carefully as well. I quite like the idea of not having to drill the bumper, but was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that a four sensor kit would offer better coverage than a two sensor version (such as Meta Targa). I'm not interested in having a visual display - just the beeps - so the Meta Targa might make more sense all round.

Quatrelle
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I had been thinking of fitting the Quanan 1840V kit. However, I'll consider the Meta Targa carefully as well. I quite like the idea of not having to drill the bumper, but was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that a four sensor kit would offer better coverage than a two sensor version (such as Meta Targa). I'm not interested in having a visual display - just the beeps - so the Meta Targa might make more sense all round.
I'm quite satisfied with my Meta Targa sensors. They seem to have quite a good coverage and the system is adjustable.

I was happy to compromise possible loss of coverage for ease of fitting - I suppose I ought to check coverage thoroughly with a cardboard box but never seem to have got round to it. If you do consider Meta sensors let me know and I'll check the coverage properly.

This has also been covered by an earlier thread. Have a look at http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=9652

carl s
11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I had the Meta Targa on a previous car, they worked fine until I fitted a tow bar, then they went a bit loopy :(

Has anyone fitted them to the passat estate ? the reason I ask is that the number plate is a lot higher up (in the tailgate) and I'm not convinced that is low enough to catch everything?

Ben
12-09-2007, 12:59 AM
I'd like to offer advise as to the thread title. The boot trim, assuming internal and being the solid plastic, if its anything like my golf, you will find it is held on with more clips than is necessary and maybe the odd screw. The carpet will be held in place with clips but these will be revealed once the plastic is out the way.

Quatrelle
12-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I had the Meta Targa on a previous car, they worked fine until I fitted a tow bar, then they went a bit loopy :(

Has anyone fitted them to the passat estate ? the reason I ask is that the number plate is a lot higher up (in the tailgate) and I'm not convinced that is low enough to catch everything?

Is the no. plate vertical on the estate? The Targa sensors point down slightly, which compensates for the slight upward tilt of the saloon no. plate, so they should be ok if the plate is vertical (I'm beginning to sound like a sales rep. for these people:o)

You can get an idea of the angle from the picture of mine on http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=15252

carl s
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Is the no. plate vertical on the estate? The Targa sensors point down slightly, which compensates for the slight upward tilt of the saloon no. plate, so they should be ok if the plate is vertical (I'm beginning to sound like a sales rep. for these people:o)

You can get an idea of the angle from the picture of mine on http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=15252

No I think the number plate is probably at the same angle as the saloon, it's just about a foot higher off the ground on the Estate. I fitted the Meta targa to a Leon which seemed to work very well (number plate in bumper), including finding anything on the edges of the car. However when I removed it and fitted it to a Legacy (number plate in boot) it was no where near as good at picking up things low down or on the corners. Then when the towbar was fitted it went a bit random...

On the Estate you would have a big boot lip in it's way if you fitted it as well which I suspect isn't going to help matters...

Quatrelle
12-09-2007, 08:38 PM
On the Estate you would have a big boot lip in it's way if you fitted it as well which I suspect isn't going to help matters...
Oh well, there's not a lot I can add to that then!

Going back to removing the boot trim:

Don't know how many similarities there are between the saloon and the estate regarding boot trim and location of wiring, but I started by removing the plastic strip that runs along the bottom inside the boot lip. This requires a confident bit of prising up, and has tags along the bottom which are used to relocate it when refitting it.

I'd worked out that the cable connections for the rear lights are on the left above the rear wheel arch as you stand looking forward (it should be possible to find out which side the wiring is on the estate by looking at which side it exits the tailgate), so worked my way up the side of the boot opening by just pulling gently on the trim until I could feel where there was a clip. I used a V-shaped angled lever to lift these, but a table knife might do just as well. You need to lift it out from behind the rubber seal as you go. The trim is also held on by some black plastic drawing-pin type fixings (table knife again), and on the boot floor by similar-looking metal screws. You will also need to remove VW's own bungee hooks using torx keys. In order to have easy access to the wiring I removed the whole of the left side trim. Bear in mind mine is l.h. drive and a saloon!

robroy959
12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Much appreciated.

I'm still researching which sensors to go for. I've probably ruled out the Meta Targa system. As carl s points out, the bumper on the estate may well reduce the effectiveness of the sensors. Plus I'm not the biggest fan of the plastic tabs which retain the number plate. Having said that, I applaud what Quatrelle has done to his Meta Targa - see http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s256/Quatrelle/DSCF0681.jpg Cutting or filing off the tabs and riveting the plate to the car looks much better in my opinion. Maybe some French laws aren't so daft after all!

I like the idea of the electromagnetic or microwave system that has an antenna strip concealed inside the bumper. It's impossible to tell from the outside of the car that it has a parking aid fitted. The Taurus T123 is one example and is available for a fairly reasonable £80 or thereabouts. As I say, I'm still doing some research, but may end up going for this one.

carl s
13-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I like the idea of the electromagnetic or microwave system that has an antenna strip concealed inside the bumper. It's impossible to tell from the outside of the car that it has a parking aid fitted. The Taurus T123 is one example and is available for a fairly reasonable £80 or thereabouts. As I say, I'm still doing some research, but may end up going for this one.

Actually I'd forgotten about those, I'm told they are a lot more sympathetic to having a towbar as well...

Quatrelle
13-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I think someone on here has fitted the Taurus.

robroy959
13-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I think someone on here has fitted the Taurus.

The Taurus T123 was being fitted by breadster50 - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9237
This thread also has Flash2's excellent guide to removing the rear bumper.

mac500 asked some questions about the Taurus at http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1042 He's still waiting for answers, so if anyone can help...

misholini
03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to remove the plastic trim in Passat estate boot door. I managed to remove the bottom part of the plastic, which is held with 4 screws and metal clips inside, but have difficulties with the plastic around the window (under which cables are run), which seems to be rock solid.