PDA

View Full Version : Steering column creaks and resonates

Europa25
02-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi, I've had this problem pretty much since purchase 7 months ago.

The dealer has attempted to fix it twice, and it's got worse again.

There is a loudish vibration / resonance / creaking sound,particularly at lower revs on driving.

It definitely doesn't seem to be the plastic surround / cowling, as pressure on all parts of it doesn't stop it one bit !
This leads one to think it is something inside. I know the power steering is electric, but that isn't affected at all / no fault light.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix / had their dealer fix it ?

I have heard of it on previous B6 models, though I had one for 4 years without a peep!

Would really appreciate any info /shared experience, thanks.

DSG4ME
20-10-2013, 11:26 PM
What I would do but I would think VW have already is to lift the trims around the clocks and radio and re-tighten the screws underneath, hth.

BenR
10-11-2013, 06:05 PM
It's a plastic band, which holds the vinyl curtain on the top of the steering column. It creaks in time with road vibration at low speeds. If you slip your hand in above the column and press it down the sound stops (column must be set low to do this).

I've had some success with a squirt of WD40 but the creak has come back so now I'm going to try spraying white grease in the joint.

Europa25
14-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks DSG and Ben, appreciate it.

VW had it for a couple of days, for two other items, plus this 3 months back.. it's got worse.
They even sent out two engineers on a drive, and the other non-driving one had his head in the drivers lap to locate it !

They weren't sure exactly what caused it, but did something, alleviating it but it's back :(

It's a 1.6 TDi bluemotion, and with the 'tall' gearing, low engine revs are quite normal - this probably increases vibration around 1250-1500 RPM, making it worse.

It's got to go in tommorow, for another major problem (complete dashboard failure), so will ask them to take another look.

Thanks again.