PDA

View Full Version : ABS Fault

mygolfvr6
03-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi all

We have a GOLF VR6 which was laided up for 18 months due to a faulty water and steering pump, it as cheaper at the time to buy a second runaround rather than fix.
Anyway now getting ready for MOT it had a about 11 months left on it when laid up and noticed when I had chared up th battery and put the ignition on and started it the ABS light stayed on, I have checked the brakes and the ABS is NOT working, and though I will be replacing the discs and pads and possibly even lines after the lay up I would like to get to the bottom of the ABS probelm first.
Are their any common faults, I guess the sensors are one, but strange it should happen, how can I check the sensors?:confused:

glynnd
03-07-2006, 09:32 PM
If the system on the vr6 is like the passat the sensors will be found in the hub carriers. I would add that if you are not an experienced mechanic you do not venture too deep into the maintenance of the abs system. It could also be the steering angle sensor if applicable to your car. later vw group cars suffer from these failing quite commonly.

mygolfvr6
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks i think i will just clean up all connections and sensors and see if this resolves it.