PDA

View Full Version : TTRS/RS3 Brembo calipers onto B7(B6).....

reido80
30-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Hey all,
Just bought some TTRS/RS3 brembo callipers with the intention of using them on my A4 PD170 Quattro Avant.

These seem to be the bargain 4pot brake calipers just now as there is a "product improvement program" (not a recall apparently!) running just now where owners get the callipers, disks ect changed for nowt due to squealing noises.

Now there is a consensus that there is really nowt wrong with the actual callipers themselves and its more to do with the fitting of the pads and the discs being like chocolate so I will leave that debate for other threads/discussion.
Anyway there are plenty of these brakes for sale just now at what seems like very good prices so I took a gamble and I am waiting on delivery of these as we speak.

As you are probably aware the callipers from mk5 golf, A3, TT, cupras ect mostly fit onto the A4 platform, eg 312mm gti, 345mm R32/s3 callipers all bolt on and with the right A4 disc fitted, jobs a good one!

So with this in mind the TTRS and RS3 brembos should physically bolt up to the B7 hubs.

The TTRS/RS3 set up use's a 370mm disc. But the offset and centre bore of these discs are wrong for the A4 so that rules out using the original 370mm disc on the A4.

Now the B7 RS4 on the other hand uses a 365mm disc so in theory if I had 2.5mm removed from the calliper carrier bracket and the mounting bolts to pull the calliper in that should allow the use of the oem RS4 disc. I say in theory because the offset of the 370mm carriers once bolted to the A4 hub could be out of line for an oem A4 disc anyway.

A 365mm disc is way overkill for this car and they are expensive but if this can work I would not have to have calliper brackets made so that could outweigh the extra costs?
The Rs4 discs would be lighter than 320mm/345mm discs aswell so that would be a bonus.

If I need to have brackets made up I will probably just use 320mm (DTM/all road) Discs or the 345mm(S4)discs.

Because the Pistons are different sizes I will need to swap round the bleed screws and balance pipe on the callipers because they will be mounted upside-down on the A4. This is to ensure the smaller piston remains on the leading side of the disc. Just like when fitting Q7/Toureag brembos.

Any thoughts on this? I have searched all over google ect and not found any definitive answers on these being fitted to an A4 so I thought I would take the plunge!!

BertieS4
05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Hey all,
Just bought some TTRS/RS3 brembo callipers with the intention of using them on my A4 PD170 Quattro Avant.

These seem to be the bargain 4pot brake calipers just now as there is a "product improvement program" (not a recall apparently!) running just now where owners get the callipers, disks ect changed for nowt due to squealing noises.

Now there is a consensus that there is really nowt wrong with the actual callipers themselves and its more to do with the fitting of the pads and the discs being like chocolate so I will leave that debate for other threads/discussion.
Anyway there are plenty of these brakes for sale just now at what seems like very good prices so I took a gamble and I am waiting on delivery of these as we speak.

As you are probably aware the callipers from mk5 golf, A3, TT, cupras ect mostly fit onto the A4 platform, eg 312mm gti, 345mm R32/s3 callipers all bolt on and with the right A4 disc fitted, jobs a good one!

So with this in mind the TTRS and RS3 brembos should physically bolt up to the B7 hubs.

The TTRS/RS3 set up use's a 370mm disc. But the offset and centre bore of these discs are wrong for the A4 so that rules out using the original 370mm disc on the A4.

Now the B7 RS4 on the other hand uses a 365mm disc so in theory if I had 2.5mm removed from the calliper carrier bracket and the mounting bolts to pull the calliper in that should allow the use of the oem RS4 disc. I say in theory because the offset of the 370mm carriers once bolted to the A4 hub could be out of line for an oem A4 disc anyway.

A 365mm disc is way overkill for this car and they are expensive but if this can work I would not have to have calliper brackets made so that could outweigh the extra costs?
The Rs4 discs would be lighter than 320mm/345mm discs aswell so that would be a bonus.

If I need to have brackets made up I will probably just use 320mm (DTM/all road) Discs or the 345mm(S4)discs.

Because the Pistons are different sizes I will need to swap round the bleed screws and balance pipe on the callipers because they will be mounted upside-down on the A4. This is to ensure the smaller piston remains on the leading side of the disc. Just like when fitting Q7/Toureag brembos.

Any thoughts on this? I have searched all over google ect and not found any definitive answers on these being fitted to an A4 so I thought I would take the plunge!!

I just got a set of this brake set up as well, and having issues trying to install it on my B6 S4. Thinking of doing some machining and spacer work on the rotors to get them to fit.

If you come up on a solution to this, please let me know.

Thanks
BertieS4

reido80
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi Bertie,
I have not really made any progress with this im afraid.
I have tried to contact a guy called DaveB from VAGbremtechnic ( he is the man that i think would have a solution) he is well known for his brake knowledge and engineering abilities in a number of forums (mostly VAG). I see he has brackets specifically for these callipers that will allow them to fit the mk5 golf platform with the 345mm disks. I reckon these would allow fitment to the A4 along with the S4 345mm disk.
I have emailed him a few times but as yet have had no reply, he is renound for being very busy(the brake stuff is a sideline for him I think) and Im not sure if the email address I used is still in use.

What discs are you using with these callipers?

BertieS4
06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Bertie,
I have not really made any progress with this im afraid.
I have tried to contact a guy called DaveB from VAGbremtechnic ( he is the man that i think would have a solution) he is well known for his brake knowledge and engineering abilities in a number of forums (mostly VAG). I see he has brackets specifically for these callipers that will allow them to fit the mk5 golf platform with the 345mm disks. I reckon these would allow fitment to the A4 along with the S4 345mm disk.
I have emailed him a few times but as yet have had no reply, he is renound for being very busy(the brake stuff is a sideline for him I think) and Im not sure if the email address I used is still in use.

What discs are you using with these callipers?

I'm using the TTRS 370mm disks. As I'm writing this, my
mechanic seems to have found a way to make them work, doing some machining and using a 3mm spacer between the hub and the rotor.

I'll let you know how it works out once I collect the car this weekend.

Will keep you posted.

BertieS4

BertieS4
12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm using the TTRS 370mm disks. As I'm writing this, my
mechanic seems to have found a way to make them work, doing some machining and using a 3mm spacer between the hub and the rotor.

I'll let you know how it works out once I collect the car this weekend.

Will keep you posted.

BertieS4

We got the brakes installed with the TTRS rotors using a 3mm spacer between the hub and the rotor, and machining the center section a bit to make it fit.

We need to rebleed the system as the brake is a bit spongy and late in responsiveness, but there is no vibration and no squeaking. We also noticed that when braking, the car kinda shifts slightly left first, then straightens up ... it's very slight, but noticeable enough to make me uneasy. It feels like it is grabbing on the left caliper first, then the right caliper. It makes me a bit nervous, but I am hoping that the bleeding will sort out this problem.

Will keep you posted.

BertieS4