PDA

View Full Version : TMC traffic - any good?

gr4z
30-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi

I have ordered the full tech pack in my B8 which comes in November. I have been using TomTom on my iPhone for the last few years with a HD traffic subscription. It's very good and usually quite accurate.

Is the TMC traffic any good on the Audi Satnav? Does it now use DAB as a feed rather than Classic on FM radio?

Thanks

gr4z
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone?

size12
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure how it works I don't think it's ever activated in my car I guess that's the benefit of living oop north very few traffic jams :D

Brycie
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Worth doing a search on it. I'm sure I recall seeing a post by someone who said they'd only ever actually had TMC available once in all the time they'd had the car, the only other time it had worked was abroad. Don't quote me on that. I get fed up with the message popping up on my MMI screen giving me two options:
'Retain Station (No TMC)' or
'Search for TMC Station'.

It never finds a TMC station though & I get that message with infuriating frequency, sometimes two or three times within a minute or less.

jubbly
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
It's worked on my car I quite often get a route changes due to traffic message.

Dieseldoos
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I had it switched on in London once, and it did give me an alternative route from an oncoming traffic jam, but tbh, I rarely have it on! On mine It also gives a list of up to date traffic info on the map when I first switch the nav on so you can quickly scroll and see if there is anything on the route.

wicked677
04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Test drove a Lexus IS250 last year that had a TMC satnav, think the best benefit is that the updates and traffic diversion it offers is all free. Considering you pay a subscription for tomtom I believe it's an excellent alternative. Many cars are equipped with TMC now, even my dads company car - Nissan Juke (Joke) had it.

Soot1e
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I have TMC turned on all the time and have traffic announcements set for both DAB and FM so that if DAB reception is poor FM announcements are received. I often get the warning that my route has been changed due to current traffic conditions and the usual indication of this is a time of arrival variation. I also get the warning that there is a problem on my route and an alternative cannot be found. In this case the Nav has looked for alternatives but as they will take longer than the hold up as notified by TMC the original route is maintained.