PDA

View Full Version : Electronic handbrake switching off?

wicked677
25-09-2013, 12:51 AM
I've noticed a few times when parking the car at work that the handbrake will turn off after it's switched. A couple of times I doubted myself that I pressed, so I did a test and pressed it and went to get my jacket out of the back, came back to the car and found it had switched itself off? Is this a common problem, I always leave my car in gear now just incase...

Brycie
25-09-2013, 01:35 AM
How do you know the handbrake isn't staying on? I assume your car's not rolled down the road.....

Guest 2
25-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I've noticed a few times when parking the car at work that the handbrake will turn off after it's switched. A couple of times I doubted myself that I pressed, so I did a test and pressed it and went to get my jacket out of the back, came back to the car and found it had switched itself off? Is this a common problem, I always leave my car in gear now just incase...

As Paul says how do you on know its off? Just because the light isn't always on doesn't mean it disengages.

Brycie
25-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I've never timed it, but the light must go out after about 10-20 seconds or so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

wicked677
26-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Well, it happend again tonight however when I opened the passenger door it re-lit again. I even tried to push the car, not sure If it was actually off though as I have a gravel driveway and not that strong.. but it didn't roll. Does the light go out? Everytime I have looked through the window when the car is locked it's always been lit.

Dieseldoos
26-09-2013, 07:14 AM
I am sure the light goes out after the cars computers fully shut down, (not instantly) but the handbrake is still working. When you unlock it will re-light. If you leave it unlocked but do not do anything else it can power down, When you put the key in the slot and press it (without starting the car), as the car powers up the handbrake light will re-light.

Brycie
26-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I'll time it today to see how long it stays on. But you have no problem I'm sure of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

gregpot2000
27-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Yep the light goes off after a few seconds. Will come back on after unlocking

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Guest 2
27-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Yep the light goes off after a few seconds. Will come back on after unlocking

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

It's working fine. If there was something wrong you'd get a parking brake error on your DIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk