PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs ??

craigbeal
05-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I have a 2001 1.6 A3 and have just bought 18" wheels, but its sitting very high. How much can i lower the car by with getting any rubbing etc? :biglaugh:

Col
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
You should be able to drop it 30-40mm without any problems.

Any lower then you might get problems with the drive shafts fouling on the ARB hoops. You can however get modified ARB with bigger hoops from the likes of Neuspeed etc that get round this.

Sam
05-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd be wary about just replacing the springs (and not the shocks) The car is 6 years old already, so unless you're doing the work yourself, you'll find yourself potentially paying twice for the labour when it comes to replacing a shock.

If it were my money (and I've done it myself already!) I'd save my cash a little bit longer and get a lower kit (springs and shocks).

30-40mm looks like nothing when it's written down but suits the car perfectly. 18s on a stock height isn't too bad, but I can see where you're coming from.

I recently saw a MKIV on 20s with no suspension mods, the guy needed a step to get into it :D

loki
05-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Mine is lowered by 30 mm with 18" wheels and doesn't rub at all. Though I'd recommend getting springs and shocks. I've just got lowering springs and the ride isn't great.

paul b
06-09-2007, 06:30 PM
You can buy P.I. lowering springs on e-bay. My mate fitted P.I. springs which lowers by 20-30mm without affecting ride quality at all. He didnt replace the shocks either.
Paul

Space Cadet
07-09-2007, 09:00 AM
I'd be wary about just replacing the springs (and not the shocks) The car is 6 years old already, so unless you're doing the work yourself, you'll find yourself potentially paying twice for the labour when it comes to replacing a shock.

If it were my money (and I've done it myself already!) I'd save my cash a little bit longer and get a lower kit (springs and shocks).

30-40mm looks like nothing when it's written down but suits the car perfectly. 18s on a stock height isn't too bad, but I can see where you're coming from.

I recently saw a MKIV on 20s with no suspension mods, the guy needed a step to get into it :D
I would agree with this entirely.

Any lowering spring needs its matched shorter/calibrated shock-absorber.

It’s a short-term/quick fix fitting only lowering springs, and can cause too many side effects especially fitting them to an older car that has done a load of miles will make the car awful to drive as the old shocks wont be able to keep up with the new springs.

As stated, wait until you can replace both the shocks and the springs at the same time, not only will you save on double the labour but you can get a matching set that compliment each other.

stratocaste1
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
im in the same boat, looking at getting 17's (a3 1.6 sport on a V) as i thought it wont look to high and i wont sacrifice the ride,

but............

my uncle who has an a4 has gone from 16's to 18's and he said its no different

he reckons the fact the tyres are a lower profile means the car isnt much higher, just that the wheels look bigger,

that doesnt make much sense really, put it this way,

you cut two identical oranges in half,

one has a think skin (the 16's) and a smaller juicy bit,

the other has a thin skin with more juicy bits (the 18's)

its on this idea that im thinking i could put 17's on my a3 with a low profile, and it be near the same size as my 15's with chunky tyres on.

if it is near enough the same i wouldnt have to change the suspension, which i dont want to do, the set up on mine is perfect, perfect audi smoothness,

but i must admit 15's even on the sport model look a tad lost, not wrong, or even small, just not as good as they would with 17's or 18's.

Im thinking 17's as im less likely to get tyre noise, (at the moment i cant hear them!,tbh i struggle to hear the engine, and no my ears do work lol)

wat ya think?

smiglyy
09-09-2007, 07:14 AM
hi guys i fitted eibach springs 30mm drop kept the standard shocks and the car sits high still would shorter shocks drop it anymore its an audi a3 2004 tdi sport

Space Cadet
09-09-2007, 08:43 AM
There are other things that can be adjusted to alter ride height but unless you want to spend mega money ride height is only really determined by the length of the springs.
As for wheel/tyre size, when you increase the size of your wheel you decrease the profile of the tyre so the overall rolling radius is the same, for example my 18’s take 40 profile tyres whereas 16’s would probably take 50 or 55 (just a guestimate).