PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic

A1287210
21-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Hi all I have found a nice specked a7 but it has the bottom range 204hp with multitronic. The blurb says that it is designed for 400 nm so does this mean it is not re mappable ? As it already delivers this power. Does anyone have any comments on this gearbox or should I spend the extra and get the stronic? 0-60 time is 0.2secs difference between the two gearboxes. But I would quite like something I can remap in the future. I'm a bit concerned that this is the only car in the whole a7 range that uses this gearbox. It can't be economy alone as it is not THAT much different in the figures. Ps I do 30,000 miles a year.
Would love your thoughts
Damo

Guest 2
21-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Have you driven a multitronic before? I have and didn't like it compared to a S-Tronic, it's not as sprightly as a S-Tronic, no creep in reverse and drive and there is a dangerous pause if you floor it at stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shabazmo
22-09-2013, 09:51 AM
The multitronic is much improved on the a7 and does creep in reverse. Having said that chris's comments need to be considered as taking off from a standing start is not as quick as the stronic. I would not map a car with multitronic gearbox. it is limited to 400nm for a reason. For your mileage and attitude to upgrades, i wouod spend the extra and go for the stronic.

M1tchy
22-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Ive only ever driven an R8 with the Multitronic gearbox and it was the most violent driving experience ive ever had. Everyone is different but personally i found it jerky, and very rough. However we have the S-Tronic in the wife's A5 and it is stunning, its an absolutely stunning set up and wouldnt change it for the world. We also tested the A7 with the tiptronic gearbox (and now have one on order) and again that was stunning. The gear changes werent as smooth as S-tronic but no where near as rough and ready as the multitronic.

Hope this helps

Guest 2
22-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I think the pre 2012 R8s had a R-Tronic gearbox (or manual) and now the new ones have a S-Tronic and this is why the changes were violent, I think its a single clutch equivalent of the S-Tronic.

M1tchy
22-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah I think you are right. I think there was just too much time off the power for the single clutch to disengage and re-engage before the power came back on and hit you. Hopefully the S-Tronic will sort things out for the R8. (not that it was a bad car by any stretch of the imagination)

A1287210
24-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Many thanks for all of your comments really helpful !

Sent from my iPhone
Superb 170 cr estate