PDA

View Full Version : 2011 A4 B8 140 TDI Clutch Issue

mrcreeky
20-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post of this forum so I hope I have found the right area of this question.

I bought an Audi A4 2011 140 TDI with 16k on he clock a few months ago. When I picked the car up, I noted the clutch peddle bite point was high. After driving 4000 miles since buying the car, the bite point is now even higher leaving little clutch movement. However there has been no slipping or juddering, just a high bite point.

I took the car to my local Audi dealer who took the clutch apart to find out what was going on. They have said there is clear signs of heat damage (blue tarnishing) to both the fly-wheel and pressure plate however, from the photos you can see a healthy amount of clutch plate left.

Audi are saying that a clutch is a wear and tear item and as such it will not be covered by warranty.

Whilst I understand that a clutch is a moving part and can be worn out, a car with 16000 miles on should not be having such issues. Both myself and the pervious owner do not ride the clutch.

Has anyone had the same issue before?

mrcreeky
24-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Anyone out there?

neilhewett
24-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Hello!

I've just recently purchased a 2009 reg A3 from a main Audi dealer. After driving it for a few days I noticed a rough feeling in the clutch pedal when changing gear and when idle. Took it back to the main dealer where they diagnosed a clutch hydraulic hose fault. They replaced this under warranty, rough feeling went. Then I noticed a noise when slowly releasing the clutch from fully depressed up to the biting point. Luckily I have a mechanic friend who knows a former Audi engineer who came round to listen to the noise. He instantly diagnosed a worn clutch release bearing which should have been picked up during the pre sale checks. After checking Audi agreed with the diagnosis and replaced the bearing free of charge. They did however state that the release bearing was a wear item and not under warranty, however as I'd only had the car for a month they replaced it with 100% good will. Interestingly when I came to pick the car up after repair they said it was fixed under warranty. Contradicting to say the least.

I would argue your case. If the car was an approved Audi it should have gone through a series of stringent checks. I'm not an authority on the matter but surely the clutch should have been checked? I suppose having said that, if they took the gear box out of every used car they get to check the clutch they wouldn't get anything else done.

crazy4alfa
24-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Clutch pressure plate and flywheel was done on my 58 plate Audi under warranty and replaced again recently as the clutch was slipping. It does have high bite point, but it's never been a problem.