PDA

View Full Version : MK4 TDi 150. Fuel economy + MAF + warning lights

Karlos_Fandango
05-09-2007, 12:00 AM
have a 2002 150TDi which ive had from new. It regulary gave me 55+ mpg on a run, and on the 23 mile run to work I could even get 60 mpg ave. But over the last few months this has dropped dramatically, esp on the work run where I can only manage 45-46 at best, even with the AC turned off. ( not that we've had much chance to use AC this summer!!)

The forum said that maybe it is the MAF sensor, but to get the car VAGCOM'd anyway to see if it is any other related problem. In my haste I went to the local German/Swedish/French car parts shop in Swindon yesterday and asked for one. He charged me £85 for what he TOLD me was a MAF sensor. I found the relevant part on the car today and fitted it, only to be told by a mech at work that it was aTHRUST sensor, not a MAF sensor. The MAF is fitted on the air intake, and the thrust sensor fitted on the intercooler business end. This made no difference to the drive or economy so will take it back tomorrow!

Have emailed a contact via here so will see if he has VAGCOM.

If not, here's another problem to get your fingers into...

My ex girlfriend has got an identical car to me, right down to the Jazz blue colour! She text me tonight to say that she was driving to work in London earlier and her Traction Control light came on permenantly and then shortly after the glow plug light started to flash. She had new discs and pads a few weeks ago, and has done just over 100k miles.

Loofer
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think VAG COM will pick up a naff MAF... unless it produces a DTC.

Search the thread as there is loads of info on the MAF. See if any of the symptoms match yours. A common one is sluggish power/acceleration.

As for you're ex... she needs a dignostic check. Could be anything. Mine is on at the mo and I found out its the ABS sensor on the front right!

i'nt VAG COM brilliant?!

1.8t bus
06-09-2007, 12:47 AM
have changed a lot of brake light switches on golfs causing engine light to come on ,but best to get it checked for codes.