PDA

View Full Version : A6 2002 Rust - The scrappy option

shockyUK
11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Folks,

My pride and joy is starting to buckle under a bit of rust (not literally)...

I have the normal A6 rust bubbles on the roof (next to the trims/rear)
Rust has pretty much eaten through the driver side front wheel arch (close to the road/bolts) the passenger side is better but not great
The passenger front door has a nice bubble near the runner

...to top that off I cracked my front bumper not long after thinking I got the car straight (V6 diesel Cambelt, break disc's/pads and general neglect clear up!)

I've had a few quotes for the body work and a lot of it is laughable for a car with a trade in value around £1500...I do love my car though and now she's running A1 I want to do what I can to prolong life :)

I've started to look at scrap yards (since I'm in no real hurry and can take my time to get the same paint code LY5X), I've found a couple one of which has a 2004 A6 1.9Tdi, now my concern, the wings look great, but are they the same as the 2002 2.5 TDI V6? I read some posts here about the V8 front being around 2" longer and wanted to check that didn't apply to the V6?

For comparison anyone had any experiance of the OEM copy parts on eBay in terms of wings and front bumper? I found a company offering 2 new wings in my colour for £290 delivered...but will they fit well?

Another related question on my cracked bumper, the crack is along the join between the colour coded plastic and grey near driver side front, without taking the bumper off and from the reading up I've done the bumper seperates along the join and I believe I've split the fittings up to the start of the fog light...anyone tried to repair this themselves? The local bodyshop reckon it would just pop back if I removed and stuck it? Anyone tried?

Many thanks in advance
Dan

vwcabriolet1971
11-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Have you approached Audi about their 12 year rust warranty ? ( tongue in cheek.)

Guest 2
11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Have you approached Audi about their 12 year rust warranty ? ( tongue in cheek.)

Remember panels have to be original and paint has to be factory or else they won't touch it.

shockyUK
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM

Do you know anyone who actually had success with that? I read a few people at 10 years but the best I heard was 50% of the cost met by Audi so essentially still more expensive than an independent :(

Also I didn't buy the car new, I only brought it as a 4th owner about a year ago (hence cleaning up other peoples neglect) :)