PDA

View Full Version : Cooling problem?

james_tiger_woo
09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I dropped my (nearly) 2 year old off at the mother in laws this morning and had a semi-spirited drive back. Not a thrash, but a quick drive - quick out of corners and no faster than 75 (your honour) - rural roads, but not exactly a rally stage. I had to divert back in to a village as I remembered we had no milk in so the last 2 miles were, mostly, at 30 in 4th.

I got to the co-op, parked up and got out - the engine fan was on. Something that, even when driven harder for longer, my Golf never did - I went in, spent about 7 minutes (I noted the time in the car) moseying around, getting milk and back to the car and the fan was still on. It's not as if it's hot this morning.

This isn't the first time either, but I put the last time down to 2x100 mile motorway cruises (at 70) back from Legoland (something that, even then, I thought was odd).

I have no overheating indication at all - but is it just my car? (2.0 diesel SE)

JTW

Guest 2
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Totally normal, you've just interrupted a DPF regen, happens on my A3 once very couple of weeks.

james_tiger_woo
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Hmm. Ok - Just seems excessive given that I do a lot of motorway miles that the DPF needs the re-gen that often.

And it's definitely the fan as I popped the hood to look.

It's odd that I never had this on the Golf.

glen_a4turbo
11-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Hmm. Ok - Just seems excessive given that I do a lot of motorway miles that the DPF needs the re-gen that often.

And it's definitely the fan as I popped the hood to look.

It's odd that I never had this on the Golf.

noticed that with mine today too mate did a long 150 mile stint and a shorter 20 odd mile one and did it on both.

Guest 2
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Thats just the way they are, my A3 does it the odd time, the A6 hire car done it after a 50 mile trip.

cuke2u
20-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi, does the A3 have a electric water pump and water cooled turbo bearings, as my present car has. This can result in,after some rapid driving, the fan staying on for a while to ensure the turbo bearings do not self-destruct.