PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Please talk me out of buying a BMW 5 Series next....

Pimped-Passat
07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
HELP..!

I thinking of doing the unthinkable..!!

For some reason I'm genuinely thinking about going for a 520/530d Touring next, as I've got it in my head that BMW have got the edge over Audi at the moment. I'm looking for any horror BMW stories to put me off... Anything, unreliability, poor dealers, expensive to run..!!!

Also - Does the new A6 really give the 5 Series a run for its money..?

Yours in embarrassment,

Mark

Guest 2
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
4 cylinder derv BMWs - premature timing chain failure, recently on watchdog = new engine - no goodwill or fix from bmw

6 cylinder derv BMWs - swirl flaps break off and are ingested by engine = new engine - no goodwill or fix from bmw

Enough? ;)

zollaf
07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
personally i would prefer to walk than drive any bmw. vag all the way for me. you are either a vag fan or not. only you can decide.

edit, i wouldn't drive a blooming merc either, hateful things.

SattyA4
07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
My dad had at 530d, kept it for 4 months and sold it. Worse investment he had ever bought, was always back at the dealers due to electrical problems. At least 5 times wouldn't start and had to be recovered by BMW. Useless dealer (Sytner Solihull) and dont forget, when it snows good look moving the thing... But then again, when it worked it drove like a ultimate driving machine :)

Teflon
07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
You'll never get let out of a junction, because we all know that anyone who drives a Beemer is as lovable as an estate agent with herpes.

belly buster
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Study proves what we know already (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?149374-Study-proves-what-we-know-already)

belly buster
07-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Also - Does the new A6 really give the 5 Series a run for its money..?

I'm sure the A6 forum will help you if you ask. However with only a couple of days of A6 driving under my belt, the A6 is absolutely cracking - better than any BMW I've been in.

Boy
07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Just think about the image! You have to be able to live with yourself or hopefully feel reasonably good about your image!

fat controller
09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
My boss has a BMW 5-series, and whilst its a nice enough motor, it is very 'hard' if you know what I mean? Not just the ride either, its the dash plastics and door cappings etc - just not as nice a place to be as an Audi. The audio system on his blows the Audi one out of the water though (it really is incredibly good), however that is its sole redeeming feature. Its not even been terribly reliable - couple of split header tanks that cost a small fortune, a blown audio amp, some pipe or other blocked (not sure which it was, maybe a breather pipe, but it ended in clouds of smoke and a tow job), and a fair few electrical gremlins along the way too.

Stick with an Audi mate - they look better, feel better, and well.................. they are better!

man le-mans
09-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Bmw's are good for track cars as you can have lots of fun in them (rwd) I have 2 BMW for track use a 325i and a 330i but I like the Audi for the road. The 5 series is a nice looking car but I think the inside let's it down abit where the Audi is a good all round car ( looks good outside and inside)

neebsta
09-09-2013, 11:29 PM
I think at the moment Audi have the better range of cars. Like one of the earlier posts, I'd rather walk than drive a Beemer.

Fulty74
10-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Have to admit I miss my 5 series, to be honest I'm struggling to love the A4 at the minute, everything seemed to be screwed together a bit better on the 5, maybe once the winter comes and I'm using Quattro rather than marooned I'll change my mind, would recommend a 5 to anyone, 3 years of near bullet proof reliability, only reason I didn't buy an F10 was that M Sport spec was still £24k+ for a 10/11 plate which was way off budget

Brycie
10-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Take a look here:

New Audi A6 vs Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5 Series - Auto Express - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4AQ-CO5esQc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4AQ-CO5esQc)

2012 Audi A6 versus BMW 535i review: And the best luxury sedan is... - YouTube (http://youtu.be/O0rMdjqNxMI)

For my money, the second review is bang on the money. When I have a new beemer approaching from behind in my rear view mirror (or if I'm following one), I have trouble distinguishing it from the 3 Series. Also, the rwd is great fun (the best imo in good conditions), but you'll have to drive it within it's limits if it's raining or god forbid, snowing (and this is Britain, so that's 8 months a year). Also, an executive saloon that doesn't come with sat nav as standard? Are they taking the mickey?

Hippogriff
10-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I've looked at BMW 3 and 5 recently, as part of a wider-ranging investigation involving A6, XF, IS 300h and back to A4. I wasn't impressed by the interior of the BMWs at all (not as slick, silly locking buttons on doors, huge handbrake etc.) and the technology side didn't impress me that much. The sales chap made a lot about the BMW Concierge service, but it didn't float my boat. I think, maybe, they're more focused on The Drive, but I'm more focused on my car being a nice, convenient place to be... and not retro. I was able to rule out BMW quite easily. Ruling out XF was easy too. IS 300h was harder... that's quite an interesting car in F Sport trim, and will be more 'exclusive' than most Audis or BMWs (with fewer on the road).

Phil K
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
We're fortunate enough to own both BMW and Audi. Its a close call in my opinion. Tech and design are both in the A4s favour and the dash feels more modern but the BMW uses better quality materials and seems slightly more solid - I am however comparing a 103k Audi with a 33k BMW.

The BM is quicker to 60 (both have 2l diesels lumps) but the suspension is harder and its run flats don't help ride quality at all. The Audi does feel quite a bit slower when your trying to make progress but the ride is smoother and I prefer it round town as the roads aren't great here (probably applicable for most towns).

MPG is better in the A4
Standard audio is better from Audi
Works in snow

BMW has better seating position
Rear wheel drive (many positives to this)
Nice feeling steering wheel
Does not work in snow

Service is good and poor with both dealers.

These are the cars I'm comparing - I wouldn't say its a fair comparison but its a start ;)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/dubdemand/2155efdd292091aec8e1b08184cfb682.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/dubdemand/1a9a647deabcaad1ea91809323c89614.jpg

Ultimately, your choice will be a subjective thing, both brands have their issues and you get some good and some bad examples of any car. Best advice is to drive both, see what feels better to you and suits your requirements. For me the Audi is much more sensible and practical for what we need to use it for but the BMW gives me a bigger smile when I'm having fun and don't have to drag the family around with me!

Whippy53
13-09-2013, 01:02 PM
A6 all the way, looked at a 5 and it just wasn't special enough, plus the god awful ride on run flats plus some friends had a 5 on lease and couldn't wait to get rid, dais " it wasn't what we thought it would be".

Pimped-Passat
14-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Many thanks to everyone who's replied. I do appreciate your comments. I drove a 520d Touring last week, and it was surprisingly agile, considering the size of it. I need to test drive an equivalent [new] A6 and see how that feels in comparison. (got to admit though, the Avant shape needs to grow on me a bit more!)

Just a couple of other things to consider...

I want an automatic in my next car, and the 8 speed box offered in the BMW appears to be very good. I'd go as far as saying it was brilliant. What is the equivalent gearbox in the Audi..? Does anyone have a new auto from Audi..?

Also - The BMW comes with a 3 year warranty - The Audi is 3 years OR 60,000 miles.... I think it's about time Audi dropped the mileage limit, and wondered if anyone had heard of Audi removing the 60k clause to fall in-line with other manufacturers...?

Cheers
Mark

PS - You were right about the junctions - NOBODY let me out on the test-drive.... But then again, I purposely didn't feel the need to use my indicators - When in Rome and all that..!

Sportwag
14-09-2013, 09:41 PM
I want an automatic in my next car, and the 8 speed box offered in the BMW appears to be very good. I'd go as far as saying it was brilliant. What is the equivalent gearbox in the Audi..? Does anyone have a new auto from Audi..?

I considered another A4, A6, new 3 Series and 5 Series. It ended up being a close call between the 5 Series and the A6. In the end I ordered a Mercedes E300 Hybrid AMG - it ticked all the boxes for me....7 Speed Auto, Command, 68.9mpg (we'll see.....). It is substantially more comfortable than my current A4 and its just a bit different. A4s are ubiquitous now and even traffic branch are driving around in A6 Avants in S Line trim.

hollow
15-09-2013, 12:47 PM
had one hated it , first drop of snow and your stranded with the rwd , even the local pizza guy in his £300 ford fiesta was laughing as he did a 3 point turn . i couldn't even move ,never again .

Guest 2
15-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I considered another A4, A6, new 3 Series and 5 Series. It ended up being a close call between the 5 Series and the A6. In the end I ordered a Mercedes E300 Hybrid AMG - it ticked all the boxes for me....7 Speed Auto, Command, 68.9mpg (we'll see.....). It is substantially more comfortable than my current A4 and its just a bit different. A4s are ubiquitous now and even traffic branch are driving around in A6 Avants in S Line trim.

When B'money is hit with snow this winter and when you're stuck in Tesco's carpark in your E, I'll come rescue you in my quattro :approve:

Seen a marked A6 SE yesterday down the M2 following a riot van and water cannon!

zollaf
15-09-2013, 12:57 PM
all this talk of bmw's makes me laugh. a chap on the landy forum i use has just asked about either buying a jeep or a disco. like what the heck, you come onto a landy forum and ask about a jeep ?? thats like committing adultery. I just don't get it you see. I like landrovers and i like vw's / audi's. i don't like bmw's or any other 4x4's and would never consider buying anything else. ok, i would have a nissan skyline or a pulsar but thats just for fun but i would prefer an s2 or s4/rs4 or corrado .
i told the bloke on the landy forum to get the jeep in the end, as he's not fit to own a landy if he needs to ask the question, but thats a bit rude, so i won't say that here.

Pimped-Passat
15-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Fair point zollaf - But with over 700 reads, and 20 informative (and humorous) replies, I've found the views of this forum particularly useful, and on the whole unbiased. It's also been one of my most successful posts since joining over 6 years ago (unwavering VAG owner/advocate since 1993)

I'm absolutely sure that Audi themselves will be looking closely at what BMW are up to (and vice-versa), as both brands appear to be extremely closely matched, appealing to exactly the same market/buyers..!

Sportwag
15-09-2013, 05:52 PM
had one hated it , first drop of snow and your stranded with the rwd , even the local pizza guy in his £300 ford fiesta was laughing as he did a 3 point turn . i couldn't even move ,never again .

So much the same as the A4 then.....had it sit for over two weeks when the white stuff hit in 2010 & 2011. I got caught in snow on the M50 north of Dublin and thought I would be way better than the Merc C Class in front me. Combination of the OEM Pirelli's and the weight being just behind the front axle meant my A4 was as embarrasing in the snow as the Merc was.

Sportwag
15-09-2013, 05:58 PM
When B'money is hit with snow this winter and when you're stuck in Tesco's carpark in your E, I'll come rescue you in my quattro :approve:

Seen a marked A6 SE yesterday down the M2 following a riot van and water cannon!

Wife has a 4x4 so when I am stuck and can't move off the drive for weeks on end (as I have been several times with the A4), she can still go to work, do school run and shopping etc!

zollaf
15-09-2013, 06:04 PM
why not get some winter tyres ?

hejikibob
15-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I just had a catch up on this thread and noticed one of the comments referred to the auto box. My 2008 A4 SE 142TDi is auto with the manual selection option (I guess all auto have that?) That is an 8 speed and I find it really smooth even if there is a double lag when you put the foot down, 1 from the car realising you want to shift then the turbo kicking in.

fat controller
17-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Actually, maybe buying a BMW is a good idea - apparently they are smashing cars (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/6-series/66073/video-man-smashes-his-own-bmw) :biglaugh:

zollaf
17-09-2013, 08:13 PM
absolute classic :)

JimC64
18-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Don't do it!

Paul.693
29-09-2013, 05:36 PM
To be honest, I had a test drive in a BMW 520d but felt that the style and quality of the interior belonged in the 80s. No real modern styling at all.

MLI33D
30-09-2013, 01:27 PM
You've had the stats, facts and objectiveness here from the others here.

I'll just add a subjective but balanced view that no matter how much better the BMW may be in review tests - if you live in a city and are of ethnic origin (like myself) then there's now way you can feel good being seen in a Beemer let alone driving one!! :Blush2:

Sportwag
01-10-2013, 09:57 PM
After 4 years and 48,000 miles, the A4 and I parted company today. It has been a great car but the lure of the 3 pointed star this time around (not the propeller) was too much. I am delighted with the improved comfort and refinement of the new E - will take a few miles to loosen up to really know what the fuel economy is like.