PDA

View Full Version : A7 owners reviews

M1tchy
06-09-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm starting this thread (although I can't contribute yet) as after many months of searching I found very little in the way of consolidated owners reviews for the A7. It worked very well on other forums for cars ive had in the past and hope it works as well here. Basically just copy and paste the headings below into your reply and then write a little bit for each heading. If it turns out really well like on other forums it could become a sticky for each model throughout the forum?

Model, spec and colour you ordered

Dealer service

Options you ordered

Handling and MPG

Faults or problems

Best bit

Worst bit

Anything else

And a photo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shabazmo
06-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered: Audi A7 in Dakota Grey which looks like brown. As per spec on my signature below.

Dealer service: I use Basingstoke audi adn I haev to say that they have been exceptionally good. It did take them some time to fix some vibrations and rattles and in the end they replaced quite a bit and got it right. The car now feels like new

Options you ordered. As signature below

Handling and MPG. This is where its great. The mpg is 44 to 46 mpg and the best have had is 51mpg. Handling. well it is excellent at high speeds,and the faster you go the more impressive it is, but it is a big car, so don't expect sporty credentials. as a matter of fact it is not at all sporty. But it does look it.

Faults or problems. Only small vibrations and rattles.

Best bit. Interior and the options albeit Fords can do everything the audi can, but build quality is Audi's hallmark

Worst bit. None. multi gearbox much improved but s-tronic better.

Anything else. Not really. Still like it.

@mark
07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered - A7 SE Quattro - 245bhp - Phantom Black with Titanium Interior (light grey to you and me)

Dealer service - Vindis Peterborough - Service good although on a few occasions the car has been off the road a lot longer than it needed to be because of parts availability. The worse was 5 weeks. Always been in a nice loaner whilst mine was off the road though.

Options you ordered - Advanced Tech, Comfort Seats, HUD, Bose, Advanced Key, Ambient Lighting, Reversing Camera

Handling and MPG - Seem to be averaging 37mpg day to day although managed 47 down to France a few weeks ago. Handling? It's a Quattro! It just goes round corners like it's on rails

Faults or problems - HUD replaced due to a rattle. Instrument cluster replaced due to a catching rev counter needle, seat frame replaced (for no reason at all)

Best bit - I actually managed to fit a full single bed and mattress in the back of this car a few weeks ago. Likewise we managed to fit in half our house for our summer drive down to France and the whole drive was effortless.

Worst bit - I have found that the drivers seat bolster touches the centre arm rest and sometimes causes a squeak. This can't be fixed (they did try replacing the seat frame) but liberal amounts of felt tape have reduced the problem so that it only now squeaks when going round right hand bends at speed

Also, whenever the dealer has tried to do something software related, a simple job has turned into a big job. When they put the new dash panel in, it wouldn't recode to the car so they had to get somebody across from Germany to fix it. When the HUD was replaced, the replacement would only show the speed and not the Nav and Cruise info. Needed to raise a case with Audi to fix it. Currently trying to get the 2013 maps on the car yet the car refuses to accept them. Booked in for 3 days next week for them to try and sort it!!! This is silly

Anything else - I love this car. I have owned some great cars over the years but this is stunning. Being the SE I don't get the attention (normally) but it's such a nice place to be. Perhaps a Bi Turbo next time

Finally, you don't realise just how big this car is. I took delivery of my wifes new car yesterday and sat next to mine, you can really see the difference

http://photos.markroddis.com/Other/Cars/Fiat-500-2013-onwards/i-jX8x4HX/0/XL/IMG_0923-XL.jpg

jk88
08-09-2013, 07:48 AM
A7 3.0TDi Quattro SE 245 in Aurora Blue

Dealer service
Bought from and serviced by Basingstoke Audi. Can recommend.

Options you ordered
I bought it when it was a year old, the previous owner (a forum member, I believe, now with an A6 Allroad) specced it very generously with

· Custom paint Aurora Blue (think Daytona with a hint of blue)
· LED headlamps
· Night vision
· Tech Pack
· Air suspension
· Comfort ventilated seats
· Advanced key
· Bose
· Extended leather & walnut inlays
· 4 Zone climate
· Heated steering wheel
· Ambient lighting
· FDH door mirrors
· Heated steering wheel
The list goes on …

Handling and MPG
Rides very well and no complaints from the way it goes round corners. 35mpg around town, 45+ on a run, average just over 40.

Faults or problems
Previous owner had all minor niggles sorted. Developed a mildly noisy centre diff which necessitated a gearbox change to resolve (an £8k spare part according to the warranty invoice).

Best bit
All the usual A7 attributes makes it a fabulous car to live with. The ventilated seats are fantastic, esp in the recent hot weather (would never have considered speccing myself but would in the future) and the heated steering wheel is a real luxury on cold winter mornings. Also, it’s deceptively capacious – swallowed three adults in comfort with a ton of camping gear for a trip to Le Mans which it did effortlessly.

Worst bit
Not being able to access Audi Connect with iPhone and some road noise on coarse surfaces, nothing major though.

Anything else
Replaced my lovely A8 D3 (wasn’t that keen on the D4). Was going to order a new one but couldn’t resist this one as 50% off original list.

aurora7
12-09-2013, 06:29 PM
>>the previous owner (a forum member, I believe, now with an A6 Allroad (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001Q7Q93I/)) specced it very generously

Guilty as charged.... Glad you are enjoying the car and the spec! I've been keeping a low profile in case you had complaints. Nice to see it again, you seem to be looking after it...

I did have lots of niggles with it in the early days (mainly rattles and vibrations, nothing mechanical apart from the night vision camera failing and needing to be replaced) which Audi Basingstoke were valiant in their attempts to resolve, and since then the Audi Mothership have pretty well corrected most of the issues centrally I believe. It taught me that I never again want to buy a completely new model of car, as you do end up being a bit of a guinea pig for the early issues.

The quality of the sales and customer service staff in Basingstoke Audi has been outstanding though and if it weren't for them I certainly would no longer be in an Audi (instead I'm now in 2 :Blush: ).

In terms of the generous spec on my A7, I didn't regret any of it and ordered pretty much the same spec again on the Allroad, except for the night vision camera. (I did add the advanced tech pack instead).

jbanfie
18-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Model, spec and colour you ordered: A7 S-Line Bi-Turbo Diesel Daytona Grey collection 1st September 2012

Dealer service: Yeovil Audi - Generally good, but I feel the car was a little mis-sold as gearbox differences were not explained - I'd have got an S7 if I'd known.

Options you ordered: Tech Pack, Adaptive Suspension, Privicy Glass, Through Load Ski thing, Adaptive Lights, Storage Pack - Westfalia towbar fitted for half price of Audi option. VCDS mods needle sweep and laptimer

Handling and MPG: Handling I think for such a big car is superb, Quattro obviously helps. MPG long term is about 42, but I can get 50 plus on a steady run

Faults or problems: The car has had no niggles, has not been back to the dealers for a fault fix at all. Had the steering unit recall and got it cleaned, but otherwise niggle free. Kickdown issues on sh*t-tronic, I mean tip-tronic gearbox are well noted. VCDS reports that my aircon recirulation motor has a mechanical failure occurs about once every 2 months, I just think the flap sticks a bit?

Best bit: Awesome all round family car, which was what I wanted

Worst bit: Gearbox, gearbox and yes, gearbox

Anything else: Much improved by a trip to JD Engineering in Holland.

Also just passing 8000 miles after 1 year of ownership, drop in value is bad, but discounts on new are huge right now. I'm fed up of waisting money on cars, so as this is a great all round package whilst my kids move up from 7 and 9 years old, then I'm going to keep it for a long time - maybe.

Recommendation, when test driving (and test as many as you can get away with) make sure you test the kick-down at around 15mph, I think the s-tronic would be much better than the tip-tronic, but I've never driven one. When I looked into trading mine for a S7 I didn't even bother with a test drive as the numbers were dreadful.

jk88
18-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Also just passing 8000 miles after 1 year of ownership, drop in value is bad, but discounts on new are huge right now.

Don't expect anything but savage depreciation on these cars, although probably no worse that the equivalent BMW, Merc or Jag. I bought mine a little over a year old and paid 50% of the original list price, so even allowing for a generous 25% discount, the first year depreciation would have been well over 30% even before allowing for the dealer's margin. Then again, this does make them excellent used buys ...

Wippa
22-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered - A7 3.0tdi sline quattro 204 ps dakota grey pearlescent

Dealer service - coventry audi - great - can't be faulted. Did everything i needed, negotiated, delivered on time - great.

Options you ordered- tech pack, ambient lighting, elec folding mirrors, park assist

Handling and MPG - corners like its on rails, occassional over steer but I'd be picky on that. mpg is slightly better than my 2.0tdi a5 caby - around town 37/38, motorway 50-55mpg

Faults or problems - only problem is a tech issue re rsap that i've posted on

Best bit - the centre dash (once used to it) is awesome - so much information,so easy to use. Other best bit is just the roar when you floor it

Worst bit - it can be bit dull and un-exciting to drive - but thats an auto thing rather than an a7 thing

Anything else - boot is cavernous, fuel mpg is more than acceptable, refinement is excellent, space all round is amazing, only seen 1 on the road and i love the power boot lid..

silo24
23-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered - A7 3.0tdi S Line quattro 245 ps Black Edition Glacier White Metallic

Dealer service - Stockport Audi. Great service from the team. Even picked me up from my hotel on the day of delivery! Inchcape know how to look after their customers in general.

Options you ordered- Technology Pack (MY 2014, so no park assist but inbuilt Phone system and Google Earth Mapping)

Handling and MPG - As per Wippa, corners like its on rails and feels a lot smaller than it is when chucking it around the lanes. MPG slowly getting better, 42mpg on a rapid motorway run but seems to increase every time so still running in it seems.

Faults or problems - No significant issues. Slight rattle from centre speaker cover that is evident during telephone calls. Took the cover off and stuck some felt there and it's resolved it. Did it myself as too much hassle to book in just for that.

Best bit - 21" Dark Rotor Alloys. Look great against the contrasting White. This may well drop down to the Worst bit once tyres need replacing!!!!

Worst bit - Sometimes the S-Tronic box can be a little snatchy when pulling away, i.e. can be a little aggressive and hard to modulate a smooth progression.

Anything else - Loving the S-Tronic box in general, much more responsive than the slush-box in the E350 CDI I just handed back. Also regret not being able to specify power folding mirrors. Was too late to amend order and needed September delivery.

Adrian James
26-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered - A7 3.0tdi SE quattro 245 liquid silver

Dealer service - Wayside Audi in Milton Keynes, very good dealership, used these for my previous A6 Quattro, they are always busy and can sometimes take a while to get thing done, but overall very happy

Options you ordered - HUD, ventilated / heated / cooled seats / + memory front seats. massage front seats. dvd player. 19" alloys. bose audio. technology pack high. rear 4 zone climate pack. as many led light as i could get, except the headlights.

Handling and MPG - handling is absolutely superb, nothing else drives like a quattro !, mpg is 34 around town until warmed up then gets up to 38. 44-46 on a run.

Faults or problems - leak from the sump- now fixed /rear ns seatbelt not retracting-changed / rattles-various -some fixed,not all which is annoying.

Best bit - massage seats and the HUD

Worst bit - rattles, i am fussy !

Anything else - a beautiful and striking car. it always get attention and i have had more comments about its good looks than any other car i have had. i love the lighting on the car, i still go out some nights to have a look at them.:D

And a photo! 22785

M1tchy
25-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Well after a month of ownership, here is mine...

Audi A7, S-Line, Quattro, Bi-TDI, Daytona Grey

Dealer service
Fantastic. I ordered through DTD while in Afghanistan. They did everything from start to finish and it was so simple. For the sake of putting the exact spec I wanted into DTD's website, I literally saved thousands. The dealer they put me in touch with was also very good. Not the most communicative, but did the job. The car turned up 2 months early and although that was great it could have thrown some people out if they didnt have the remainder of the deposit saved. The car turned up filthy and with a curbed alloy so wrote them a rather blunt email telling them what I wanted and when I wanted it and they delivered. They paid for a full set of cleaning chemicals, repaired the alloy and gave me £100 to spend in the Audi Merchandise store. So all in all, very happy.

Options you ordered
Daytona Grey (Best colour in my opinion), heated front and rear seats, 20" Alloys (Best alloys in my opinion but a bitch to keep clean), Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights (Look incredible), Night vision assistant (Great for wowing passengers), Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist.
Handling and MPG

Faults or problems
Had rattles on both the drivers and passengers door, the HUD and the centre speaker. My local dealer (not the supplying dealer) had it 3 times in the first 2 weeks of ownership and failed to fix any of them and even made one worse. I ended up buying a Haynes type manual and taking my £67k car apart myself and fixed them all first time with a bit of NBC tape.

Best bit
The admiring looks, the comments from complete strangers in car parks, the offers to "swap", the gadgets, the comfort, the power, the Bi-TDI soundtrack, the LED headlights - I could go on.

Worst bit
Just the MPG. Its currently only getting 35mpg but it is fairly hilly round here and I do like giving it some on the right foot. Got a 900mile round trip in a few weeks so hopefully will get alot better as that journey will be 95% motorway.

Anything else
If you are even remotely considering buying an A7 - JUST DO IT. You wont look back.

And a photo!

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/c5f7b61c-d6d4-4dc2-a030-ad3e0955e54f_zpsf093dc34.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/c5f7b61c-d6d4-4dc2-a030-ad3e0955e54f_zpsf093dc34.jpg.html)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/DSC_1661_zps170c8176.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/DSC_1661_zps170c8176.jpg.html)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/7C15B4CA-4646-40C9-8774-E761D99C451B-2102-000002220A069BDC_zps73017c73.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/7C15B4CA-4646-40C9-8774-E761D99C451B-2102-000002220A069BDC_zps73017c73.jpg.html)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/DSC_1768_zps8ad99a81.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/DSC_1768_zps8ad99a81.jpg.html)

jtga6
15-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Model, spec and colour you ordered - A7 Black Edition Bi-Turbo - Tornado Grey

Dealer service - Vindis Huntingdon - excellent so far - but let down by Audi CS when issue with Phone Box

Options you ordered - Air Suspension, memory seats, HUD, Tech Pack Advance, Parking Advanced, Remote tailgate and advance key, heated seats all round, Matrix Lights

Handling and MPG - Great handling from limo smooth on comfort - to serious track car on dynamic - can't believe the MPG - far better the A6 2.7 TDi Avant - regular 44 mpg on run - and sensible in town 30 to 35 mph

Faults or problems - Had an issue with phone box - all sorted now - but took 4 weeks of my car at the dealers on 3 occasion - Audi CS was hopeless - the dealer (Vindis) was excleent

Best bit - The look, the drive, HUD (never thought I would say that)

Worst bit - The alloys - they look great but with low profile tyres they are very very vunerable

estwick
26-12-2015, 06:26 PM
After two months of ownership, here is mine.

Model, spec and colour you ordered:
2016 A7 TDI S-Line Quattro - 272ps - Daytona grey.

Dealer service:
Purchased from Dundee Audi through DTD and the process was seamless.

Options you ordered:
Heated steering wheel.
Sports suspension deletion.
Technology Pack Advanced which includes HUD, folding door mirrors, MMI navigation plus, active lane assist, side assist, adaptive cruise control, braking guard & Audi connect.
Downgraded standard 20" wheels to 19" for softer ride and rim style.

Handling and MPG:
Simply no complaints about handling...it's like driving on rails and that pick-up torque is intoxicating.
The car has covered just over 1500 miles of 40/60 urban/highway driving and is averaging 33mpg...a bit disappointing considering Audi's published figures, but that should improve with a few more miles on the clock.

Faults or problems: None so far, apart from an intermittently squeaky rear parcel shelf.

Best bits: Matrix headlights, HUD and cargo space.

Worst bits:
Having to manually switch on the front parking sensors (on my previous cars, they were on by default).
The brake & throttle pedals are too close together.
The Audi connect system is greatly lacking in functionality...the connectivity with the on-line services is very much a hit & miss affair; also the MMI-Connect App for the iPhone is so battery hungry (even with notifications turned off), it had to be uninstalled.
Type pressure monitoring system should have tyre pressure display.
The auto DPF regeneration system is too frequently active.
When the data SIM is inserted, the Bluetooth link to phone gets disconnected. This is very annoying.
I miss a rear windscreen wiper.

These are all minor gripes (apart from the Bluetooth thing) and don’t diminish my relationship with the car - if I had to buy again tomorrow, it would be the same.

Anything else:
Auto stop-start systems are usually a hot topic on car forums; most folks deride the technology...me included.
In my humble reckoning, I know its usage represents a small saving in fuel consumption, but is it enough to offset the cost of a new starter motor if you intend to keep the car for a long time? I don't think so.
In my previous car and in my wife's A1, the stop-start disable button is generally pushed immediately after starting the car....not so in the A7. The interaction of the stop-start system with the brake pedal and auto parking brake is simply ingenius.

Here's a scenario - you approach a stop light with no traffic behind and you know it's gonna go green soon; so you gently pull up & stop with normal pressure on the brake pedal, and the parking brake & stop-start stays off. A vehicle pulls up behind and you don't want to burn his retinas, so you apply a bit more pressure on the brake pedal and the parking brake is automatically activated allowing you to take your foot off the pedal...no brake-light rage here. The traffic light then goes green; apply some throttle, the parking brake is released and off you go to the next set of lights which has just turned red: this is one mother of a junction with a long turn-around time, so stopping and applying moderately hard pressure on the brake pedal will activate the parking brake and the stop-start: when you're ready to roll, a slight twitch of the steering wheel or pressing the throttle restarts the engine, and off you go.
The steering wheel trick is nicer, as it gets you off the mark quicker than the throttle restart.

It's brilliant because the system allows you to make a judgment call with your right foot as to when it's worth stopping the engine; and the smoothness of the restart is the best I've encountered in any non-hybrid car.

And a photo: