PDA

View Full Version : GT Collection Day!

GolfFanBoy
06-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm off to the dealer at 4pm to collect my GT which is currently under wraps:-

The picture above is taken from a personalised video they've just sent me by e-mail as a teaser! :D

dkjc2010
06-09-2013, 05:50 PM
You will love it, picked ours last Sunday and haven't stopped smiling:Blush: What colour have you gone for? Ours is Tornado Red.

Gerryf
06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Enjoy enjoy :) :)

DW58
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
^ What Gerry said x2 ^

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/Emoticons/1cfc0ca3.gif

GTwebb
06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
That's a nice little touch by the dealer is that. Very impressed.

First impressions please?

GolfFanBoy
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Well you won't be surprised to hear I'm well chuffed with the car :D When I arrived at the garage the car was still under it's blue cover waiting to be unveiled! The salesman spent quite a bit of time going over the car with me which was good because it's packed with technology, especially with the media system. Driving out through Dundee I got stuck in traffic but that wasn't all bad as it gave me a chance to see stop/start in action along with the auto-hold.

VW have really stepped up the build quality to a whole new level. I've been through the evolution of the MK5 to M6 but this is like a new car from the ground up.

By the time I got home it was starting to rain so I'm afraid the pictures are a bit rushed.

GolfFanBoy
06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Few brief shots of the interior and the media system. Missed not having phone support in my last car. Haven't played with any of the driving modes yet but I'll probably save sport until I've got the engine run in :drive:

GTwebb
06-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Very very very nice. I never get bored of looking at the classy interior.. it's real quality

DW58
06-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Lovely - I'm so jealous ... ... ... still ten weeks to go for me assuming Volkswagen don't delay again.

Guest 2
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Very very nice indeed, very jealous and enjoy!!

GolfFanBoy
06-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Lovely - I'm so jealous ... ... ... still ten weeks to go for me assuming Volkswagen don't delay again.

I still can't believe the delay you've had Rob :( The dealer was saying to me that the UK are the second largest market for VW in Europe and that they've not been prepared for the demand on MK7's. Production is being stepped up but the backlog is the problem for people that have already had cars on order for a while. He did sound positive about cars coming in over the next few weeks so hopefully things are back on track.

Well worth the wait though, I've seen a MK7 in sunset red at the dealer and it looks great. You'll be well pleased with the car I'm sure.

DW58
07-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your kind comments - to be honest it's not much of an inconvenience as we were due to take delivery the day before heading off on a weeks break in Holland, now (assuming Volkswagen don't screw-up again) we get it a few days after we get back. My main gripe is the lack of information forthcoming from VW - the tracking site is all very well, but it just doesn't provide worthwhile information. If my car is delayed, it ought to say so and why.

Dmo238
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Few brief shots of the interior and the media system. Missed not having phone support in my last car. Haven't played with any of the driving modes yet but I'll probably save sport until I've got the engine run in :drive:

Did you have to load those Driving Mode pictures? My GT with the standard Discover Media doesn't seem to have them - just the words.

DW58
07-09-2013, 01:00 PM
It looks to me like that is the standard Discover satnav on Avanti's Golf

GolfFanBoy
07-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Did you have to load those Driving Mode pictures? My GT with the standard Discover Media doesn't seem to have them - just the words.

No they were on it already. Could be the software on my unit is an updated version. I'll have a look at the version information tomorrow and report back.

GTwebb
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
No they were on it already. Could be the software on my unit is an updated version. I'll have a look at the version information tomorrow and report back.

Have you got the adaptive chassis control? If so is that the reason for the difference?

GolfFanBoy
07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Have you got the adaptive chassis control? If so is that the reason for the difference?

Not on the car, it's a standard spec GT. I would imagine VW have updated the software on the unit - I know I saw screen in the menu system that quoted a version number. It may be possible for the dealer to update this if that's the reason the pictures aren't seen.

GTwebb
07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Oh good, when mine arrives in 2 weeks should be the same on mine (standard spec GT) :)

GolfFanBoy
07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh good, when mine arrives in 2 weeks should be the same on mine (standard spec GT) :)

It's a really impressive system to use, much more advanced than the monochrome radio unit in my old MK6. I really need to sit and work my way through the manual to learn how to use it all.

Spent all of today giving the car a full clean and then applied the Gtechniq sealant to the paint in 2 coats. Really easy to use and the car looks even better now than it did on collection. Tomorrow I'll tackle the windows and alloy's which are also getting sealed.

GTwebb
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
It's a really impressive system to use, much more advanced than the monochrome radio unit in my old MK6. I really need to sit and work my way through the manual to learn how to use it all.

Spent all of today giving the car a full clean and then applied the Gtechniq sealant to the paint in 2 coats. Really easy to use and the car looks even better now than it did on collection. Tomorrow I'll tackle the windows and alloy's which are also getting sealed.

My Gtechniq has just arrived.. will look forward to using it lol

Is there quite a lot to the system? ie lots of settings, modes, functions etc?

GolfFanBoy
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
My Gtechniq has just arrived.. will look forward to using it lol

Is there quite a lot to the system? ie lots of settings, modes, functions etc?

With the Gtechniq sealant my advice would be to only use 2-3 sprays at most per panel. I spread it out with a microfibre pad in vertical lines and then overlapped in horizontal moves. Use a separate microfibre cloth to buff it off shortly after. I have read some people leaving it on the paint too long and finding it harder to remove. I would only do a couple of panels at a time before removing.

Loads of stuff in the media system! It's a control system for the radio, sat nav, music, phone, and the car itself. You'll be delighted with the GT when it arrives :banana:

GTwebb
07-09-2013, 10:37 PM
With the Gtechniq sealant my advice would be to only use 2-3 sprays at most per panel. I spread it out with a microfibre pad in vertical lines and then overlapped in horizontal moves. Use a separate microfibre cloth to buff it off shortly after. I have read some people leaving it on the paint too long and finding it harder to remove. I would only do a couple of panels at a time before removing.

Loads of stuff in the media system! It's a control system for the radio, sat nav, music, phone, and the car itself. You'll be delighted with the GT when it arrives :banana:

Thanks for the advice re the Gtechniq.

Sounds a wonderful bit of kit does the media system - like a bit of quality tech to play around with lol

Should be picking mine up in 2 weeks car left factory 9 days ago..

DW58
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
When applying G|Techniq sealants, I tend to do one panel at a time and use a micro-fibre pad to apply and a micro-fibre cloth to buff off. I spray the C2v3 onto the pad rather than to the panel.

maisbitt
08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
All good advice re the GTechniq. I bought a 1L bottle to do mine and my dad's GTDs, expecting it to last for a good few years of top-ups. His GTD came first and we applied the C2V3. My dad sprayed liberally, getting through 450mL of the stuff. The car was sopping with it - I was wringing excess out of the application cloth (microfibre cloth) - about 1/2 of it ended up on the floor from the wrung cloth. It was a bugger to buff to a shine because there was so much to remove, and so I ended up using 12 microfibre cloths to get rid of the residues!

You should need only about 100 - 150mL to do a Golf. I'd apply directly to the cloth, on a windy day (as it was) about 1/4 of what was sprayed ended up gone in the wind.

It's a lot easier to use when used sparingly.

GolfFanBoy
08-09-2013, 07:08 PM

As promised I took a picture of the system version screen for you to compare with your own:-

If this is newer I would imagine there is a way of updating your unit although it might involve a trip to the dealer.

DW58
08-09-2013, 07:24 PM
All good advice re the GTechniq. I bought a 1L bottle to do mine and my dad's GTDs, expecting it to last for a good few years of top-ups. His GTD came first and we applied the C2V3. My dad sprayed liberally, getting through 450mL of the stuff. The car was sopping with it - I was wringing excess out of the application cloth (microfibre cloth) - about 1/2 of it ended up on the floor from the wrung cloth. It was a bugger to buff to a shine because there was so much to remove, and so I ended up using 12 microfibre cloths to get rid of the residues!

You should need only about 100 - 150mL to do a Golf. I'd apply directly to the cloth, on a windy day (as it was) about 1/4 of what was sprayed ended up gone in the wind.

It's a lot easier to use when used sparingly.

To be honest, 100-150ml is about right for two layers not one, you ought to be able to do a Golf-sized car with around 50-60ml per coat or not much more. Having used C2/C2v3 on numerous occasions, I would advise spraying onto an applicator pad rather than onto the panel and then applying to the panel in an up-down/side-by-side motion as described above. I apply to one large/2 small panels at a time before buffing off with a micro-fibre cloth.

A way of economising on C2v3 usage - and this really works - is if you have any G|Techniq I1 fabric treatment, treat a micro-fibre applicator pad lightly with I1 and allow to dry. Then use for applying the C2v3 and you'll find that the protected and thus non-absorbent pad will help you to use less product.

maisbitt
08-09-2013, 09:50 PM
To be honest, 100-150ml is about right for two layers not one, you ought to be able to do a Golf-sized car with around 50-60ml per coat or not much more. Having used

A way of economising on C2v3 usage - and this really works - is if you have any G|Techniq I1 fabric treatment, treat a micro-fibre applicator pad lightly with I1 and allow to dry. Then use for applying the C2v3 and you'll find that the protected and thus non-absorbent pad will help you to use less product.

Genius! My microfibre cloth used to apply the C2V3 was very absorbent (wasting a lot of product). I could've done with a cloth that would hold the stuff but not soak it up. I will get a microfibre pad treated with I1 tomorrow (on the off-chance I get my mitts on my GTD on Tuesday and it's dry enough and early enough to get everything done).

DW58
08-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Glad to have been of help. I don't remember where I picked up on that tip, but I'm guessing it was somebody over on Detailing World. Because of arthritic hands I use micro-fibre pads with velcro-fit plastic handles and keep a couple of pads pre-treated with I1 in my G|Techniq box.

Speaking of which, I started my pre trade-in detailing job on the Mk.6 today with a thorough wash/decontamination. Steam cleaning the engine bay tomorrow.

GolfFanBoy
08-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Well pleased with the GTechniq sealant, produced a very reflective finish.

I've not actually driven the car since Friday would you believe?! Yesterday we had the airshow at RAF Leuchars which I live close to and the roads were all congested. Heading up to Perth tomorrow so some country roads to enjoy along the way.

DW58
09-09-2013, 08:14 AM
That's a pretty damned good advert for G|Techniq products.

maisbitt
09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
My GTD was on a transporter wagon, heading for my dealership at 9:30am this morning, my salesman is off today, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking it up tomorrow. VW UK informed me of all this and said to expect a “goodwill gesture” from my dealership because of the epic wait for it that defied the “allocation queue” for GTI/GTD. If I get it at a reasonable time and it isn’t raining tomorrow then I’ll post a few pics of a highly reflective C2V3 finished Tornado Red GTD.

GTwebb
09-09-2013, 10:11 PM
My GT is at Emden as of today awaiting shipping to Grimsby. It left the factory a week ago.. takes some time this shipping malarkey :( Hoping to pick up end of next week

GolfFanBoy
09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
It amazed me how quick mine got to the dealer once it departed Germany, sounds like you won't have long to wait :)

chippy1970
09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Our a3 sportback was at the German port a week ago not heard anything since might email dealer to see how it's going

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

GTwebb
09-09-2013, 10:29 PM
It amazed me how quick mine got to the dealer once it departed Germany, sounds like you won't have long to wait :)

Hope so.. I'm told the shipping to Grimsby is quite frequent (by a friend who works for vw group not my dealer as theyve not been too helpful) so fingers crossed I can pick up next week.. shouldn't take long to get from Grimsby

Dmo238
09-09-2013, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=GolfFanBoy;842157]As promised I took a picture of the system version screen for you to compare with your own:-

If this is newer I would imagine there is a way of updating your unit although it might involve a trip to the dealer.[/QUOTE

Thanks GolfFanBoy. Looks like I'll need an update at my next service.

maisbitt
10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Tyne dock bound cars (supplying North East/Cumbria/Scotland) seem to wait far less time for a ship than Grimsby/Sheerness. Vehicle shipping demand is high for the return journey when Sunderland built Nissans get loaded on at Tyne Dock to be dropped off in Amsterdam/Ijmuiden on the way back to Emden. Maybe the Tyne dock cars aren't full when they come here in order to be arriving regularly enough to satisfy Nissan's needs for export?

GTwebb
10-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Tyne dock bound cars (supplying North East/Cumbria/Scotland) seem to wait far less time for a ship than Grimsby/Sheerness. Vehicle shipping demand is high for the return journey when Sunderland built Nissans get loaded on at Tyne Dock to be dropped off in Amsterdam/Ijmuiden on the way back to Emden. Maybe the Tyne dock cars aren't full when they come here in order to be arriving regularly enough to satisfy Nissan's needs for export?

Yes mine heading to Grimsby seems to have been waiting a while.. hopefully it'll be shipped in next day or so

GTwebb
13-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Well nearly 2 weeks on and my GT is still sat at Emden!!! How long can it take??!!!

chippy1970
13-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Got an email tonight our A3 is on the ship on it's way to Sheerness :)

GTwebb
13-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Got an email tonight our A3 is on the ship on it's way to Sheerness :)

Good news mate.. I'm quite surprised how long mine is taking.. was planning to pick up next week

chippy1970
13-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Our Audi was listed as 30th Sept delivery so it's pretty much on schedule. The ship takes 2 days then dealer should have it 10 days later.

DW58
13-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Well nearly 2 weeks on and my GT is still sat at Emden!!! How long can it take??!!!

That's ridiculous - have they come up with a reason, I'd be wanting a pretty good explanation.

chippy1970
13-09-2013, 08:28 PM
We were told they can take up to 15 days before they ship

GolfFanBoy
13-09-2013, 09:50 PM
On the website tracker VW were quoting 4 weeks for the 'Transport' stage, most of which seems to be spent in Germany. Once my car boarded a boat it was at the dealership inside a week.

maisbitt
13-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes, the trip from Emden to UK is a day at most, then 3-5 days to get to the dealer. Hard part is getting on the ship.

GTwebb
13-09-2013, 10:46 PM
That's ridiculous - have they come up with a reason, I'd be wanting a pretty good explanation.

Nope. And I'm fed up of speaking to my dealer about it as its like talking to a brick wall.. I understand it can take a while but goodness me its taken too long to ship over imo this is also on top of a 2 week BW delay

GTwebb
13-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Our Audi was listed as 30th Sept delivery so it's pretty much on schedule. The ship takes 2 days then dealer should have it 10 days later.

My GT was meant to be 1st week sept delivery.. it'll nearly be a month late by time I pick it up at this rate