PDA

View Full Version : ASDA 5w30 Fully Synth £14 for 5 liters

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Well in my store anyway, on line it's still £20 as per this link

ASDA 5W30 Fully Synthetic Oil - 5L | Motor Oil | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-5W30-Fully-Synthetic-Oil---5L/001023765,default,pd.html)

Suitable for modern vehicles including VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Citroen, Peugot, Renault, Vauxhall, Seat and Skoda

5w30 fully synth API SM/CF ACEA C3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008ES0B0E/) and stated low SAPS/Low ash and for extended service intervals

What was weird was their Semi Synth in-store was £16 as it is on-line, so perhaps a local/regional/national POS error?

I bought 4 so now fine for the next 3yrs of changes...go and get yours as works out at £2.80 per liter

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think this particular Asda oil is VW approved. Just because Asda says it's "suitable" doesn't mean it's on VW approved oils list .

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
To my way of thinking there is no actual 'VW approval process' for oils?

Simply put the 504.00 & 507.00 rating are simply derived from other API/ACEA approvals, so if they meet that approval it will automatically meet VAG standards.

But if someone can point me to anything authorative that counters my way of thinking then I'll happily stand corrected :biglaugh:

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
To my way of thinking there is no actual 'VW approval process' for oils?

Simply put the 504.00 & 507.00 rating are simply derived from other API/ACEA approvals, so if they meet that approval it will automatically meet VAG standards.

But if someone can point me to anything authorative that counters my way of thinking then I'll happily stand corrected :biglaugh:

Nice to hear from an authorative and expert source.
Oil companies have to pay for the stringent VW testing and approval process in order get the coverted VW approved classification.
A lot of oil companies merely say that their blend specification meets the blend criteria to meet the VW specifcation. This does not mean it's been properly tested. The cost of testing is quite expensive & therefore a lot of the smaller oil companies will not/can't afford this.

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Am no expert and don't purport to be, that much should be obvious from my previous comment.

By the same token Lifeguard 6 (and a host of others) is the correct oil to use in my transmission, it does not have VAG approvals, would I use it, yep sure would.

Essential reading

Volkswagen Oil Specifications - oilspecifications.org (http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php)

oilspecifications.org - Lubricant standards and specifications (http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php)

So it is correct to say that it 'might not' meet specification but not correct to say that it does not.

I would hazard a guess that a bottle of oil bought from Audi will say:

5w30 fully synth API SM/CF ACEA C3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008ES0B0E/) and stated low SAPS/Low ash and for extended service intervals

But with 507.00 added

It will however definately meet/exceed 504.00 spec and since most users change after 12k miles my opinion is that it will be fine and I'm happy to use in my car.

gupsterg
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
TBH I wouldn't risk putting an oil in my car with no VW xxx xxx approval.

Lifeguard 6 is made by ZF and ZF make the transmission, where as Asda are buying bottled stuff in.

http://youtu.be/V72quUB87Qs

Above was say £16 more for 5L than ASDA so I'm paying £32 extra to know it's gonna be right IMO not a great outlay vs damage from a wrong oil use ...

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Gup, do you know that the oil in all of yours (pre-ownership) was VW approved, if you found out it was would it change your opinion?

M

gupsterg
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
I think you asking the wrong person my friend :).

If the past owners had been using wrong oil perhaps that's why chain rattle occurred? as there are 2004 -2006 car's without what I had.

Perhaps that's why my intake/EGR is coked up? as I read on one site that incorrect oil with incorrect additives could result in that.

I was looking for that site but instead found this Link:- Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible (http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html)

Now under the heading:-

Which oil should you buy? (the long version)

2nd to last paragraph :-

Many OEM are now using their own specifications to capture these specifications. eg. Mercedes 229.31/51, BMW Longlife 04, VW 507 00 etc. There is also a trend now towards manufacturers requiring their own specifications - in this case the OEM specification is the one that needs to be adhered to. If it says BMW Longlife 04, the oil must say this on the pack to be suitable for use.

Maybe we can agree to disagree? :) ...

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
^^No was asking the right guy :)

If it transpired they had all used the correct oil surely then by your logic the oil would not have not have been a contributory factor in the 'trials of Zesty'?

If for example I was to ask Asda to confirm with their supplier and they came back and said (although we know that'll never happen), it's this one rebottled

Prolife 5W-30 : Performance Motor Oils : Products Guide : Comma Oil & Chemicals Ltd. (http://www.uk.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/169)

I'll assume that no one would have a problem?

gupsterg
05-09-2013, 06:26 PM
If it transpired they had all used the correct oil surely then by your logic the oil would not have not have been a contributory factor in the 'trials of Zesty'?

I concur :) ...

If for example I was to ask Asda to confirm with their supplier and they came back and said (although we know that'll never happen), it's this one rebottled

Prolife 5W-30 : Performance Motor Oils : Products Guide : Comma Oil & Chemicals Ltd. (http://www.uk.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/169)

No I would not have a problem using it then Mark :) but TBH I don't have a problem with you using the ASDA oil you state in your car.

I'd just not be prepared to use it in mine until I knew it was VW xxx xxx regardless of keeping it for say 10K/yearly interval without VW xxx xxx approval :) .

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 06:56 PM
^^No was asking the right guy :)

Yes , I would have a problem !
Asda do not employ oil experts who could put a reasoned judgement that their oil meets the VW spec.
If a VW dealer can put the wrong oil in a car ( mine !) then how do you expect Asda to ensure that any claims for suitability for non-approved oils are OK for your car ? How do you think VW would treat an engine warranty claim without any proof of the correct approved oil being used ?
The difference in oil price should tell you something !

MarkTM
05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
^^^ Lol that was funny

Do you think anyone employed by Asda actually sees the contents of the oil when it comes from comma (or indeed A N Other supplier)? Probs the plastic containers are shippied to them they fill them and send them back to Asda sealed

Unless they have Asda oil tasting evenings that is? :biglaugh:

Conversely I'm sure that at some time even the big oil co's (despite rigerous QA) have put the wrong type of oil in the wrong containers, don't think you'd have any comebacks then?

If you use the wrong oil DIY - no comebacks
If you you use the right oil DIY - no comebacks
If a 3rd party uses either of the above - possibly no comebacks
If a main dealer do the above - then potentially lots of consequences an comeback?

So you are seemingly advocating using a main dealer for servicing?

I've used Royal Purple fully synth in my Jag for almost 90k miles, I only get better economy, a smoother engine and more power...although I shouldn't (according to you) since it's not approved by Jaguar. In fact I should be using semi-synth! :)

I've asked Asda the 504/507 question and will keep you posted

gupsterg
05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
The difference in oil price should tell you something !

I don't think oil price has anything to do with it for me in the context of special offer ...

For instance Quantum is made by Castrol for VW and is cheaper/more quantity vs Castrol EDGE ...

Recently bought Castrol EDGE for ridiculous price ...

I see it all the time in my line of work where x is promoted for x and then another time not and I wonder sometimes to my self what is the real price of product?

At times a wholesaler/distributor offer x for x to me another time not ...

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
^^^ Lol that was funny

Do you think anyone employed by Asda actually sees the contents of the oil when it comes from comma (or indeed A N Other supplier)? Probs the plastic containers are shippied to them they fill them and send them back to Asda sealed

Unless they have Asda oil tasting evenings that is? :biglaugh:

Conversely I'm sure that at some time even the big oil co's (despite rigerous QA) have put the wrong type of oil in the wrong containers, don't think you'd have any comebacks then?

If you use the wrong oil DIY - no comebacks
If you you use the right oil DIY - no comebacks
If a 3rd party uses either of the above - possibly no comebacks
If a main dealer do the above - then potentially lots of consequences an comeback?

So you are seemingly advocating using a main dealer for servicing?

I've used Royal Purple fully synth in my Jag for almost 90k miles, I only get better economy, a smoother engine and more power...although I shouldn't (according to you) since it's not approved by Jaguar. In fact I should be using semi-synth! :)

I've asked Asda the 504/507 question and will keep you posted

Not advocating Main Dealer servicing, far from it !
I've always done my own servicing unless car is in in warranty period. I can always do a better job than main dealer as I can take my time and am better technically mechanicaly qualified than most dealer mechanics. I always use approved oils as I'm not technically qualified in this area to be able to put any judgement on non-approved oils.

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't think oil price has anything to do with it for me in the context of special offer ...

For instance Quantum is made by Castrol for VW and is cheaper/more quantity vs Castrol EDGE ...

Recently bought Castrol EDGE for ridiculous price ...

I see it all the time in my line of work where x is promoted for x and then another time not and I wonder sometimes to my self what is the real price of product?

At times a wholesaler/distributor offer x for x to me another time not ...
Generally non-aproved oils are much lower in price as the oil blender/manufacturer does not have to pay the test and approval costs

gupsterg
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I always use approved oils as I'm not technically qualified in this area to be able to put any judgement on non-approved oils.

I agree :approve: ...

Generally non-aproved oils are much lower in price as the oil blender/manufacturer does not have to pay the test and approval costs

I agree :approve: but I hope you can see what I mean that price has irrelevancy if approval is there ...

I paid £65 for 12L of Castrol recently vs £62 ish for 10L of Quantum the time before and before that £60 for 10L of Quantum ...

Now usually Castrol for 4L is what £40 ish?

So it maybe irrelevant without approval?

towcestervag
07-09-2013, 09:45 AM
oil is not just a lubricant
i read a good document this week about oil
yes the cheaper oils may say they meet the so could specs But they havnt got the extra additives put in by the premium brands that do the job
i would only use oil by a major oil company or a independant oil company that has the relevent additives
BP/CASTROL/MOBIL/FUCHS/MILLERS/MORRIS are manufacturers i would recommend
i must admit i use VW quantum platinum and longlife 111 these are made by BP but are not as good as some of the others mentioned but are good quality
its the inibitors they put in that make the oil good
if in doubt e mail oilman on here to get some more advice

vespa
05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I decided to contact local VW dealers last year regarding servicing of my Passat 2.0 Ltr TDi with DPF. One said that it didn't matter whether it was long life or not another said they only used longlife oil. I decided to supply my own Castrol Longlife oil. The service book keeps getting ticked as ordinary oil even though I tell them. They alter it to longlife in the book then. I decided to go to interval servicing but VW maintain that even yearly servicing it's still longlife oil to be used.Now the crux of the matter is that VW specify longlife oil for DPF fitted cars so why are their dealers so badly informed to supply ordinary oil?? Any suggestions??

vwcabriolet1971
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I decided to contact local VW dealers last year regarding servicing of my Passat 2.0 Ltr TDi with DPF. One said that it didn't matter whether it was long life or not another said they only used longlife oil. I decided to supply my own Castrol Longlife oil. The service book keeps getting ticked as ordinary oil even though I tell them. They alter it to longlife in the book then. I decided to go to interval servicing but VW maintain that even yearly servicing it's still longlife oil to be used.Now the crux of the matter is that VW specify longlife oil for DPF fitted cars so why are their dealers so badly informed to supply ordinary oil?? Any suggestions??
In my experience vw dealers do not pay enough attention to the correct oil specifications. I had to insist that my dealer drain an incorrect oil used on my diesel Golf and replace with long life castrol edge. The dealer was totally unaware that the only oil specification suitable was a low ash oil ( to protect the DFP) . they only agreed to change the oil after I forwarded a statement from Castrol technical dept ! This low ash spec is only satisfied by the VW 507 grade and is the only vw grade approved for my car. On closer inspection of my service book the dealer had used the wrong oil on the previous oil service ! How many vehicles had been filled with the wrong oil !