PDA

View Full Version : Fixing number plates

blake1312
04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Got some new number plates to go on my car, at the moment and since I've had the car they look to be fixed with some sort of tiger seal/ cement with no screws used. My question is what is this most likely to be and what is the best product to use to fix my new ones on? Also do all have holes for the screws as standard as would rather screw them on if possible. Many thanks

Guest 2
05-09-2013, 07:08 AM
I find that the number plate stickers are strong enough (I have 5 on each plate and they haven't fell off yet), if you want to screw then just measure the holes up.

Eshrules
05-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Or get a decent plate holder? Screw that on, clip in plate, lock plate holder - job done.

mjhamilton
05-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Mine came with the Wurth plate holders which look really smart and secure the plates invisibly to the car - I think they even do ones that are lockable

I may swap to a set of these as the ones I have are branded to the dealer
RENAULT 2 x CARBON NUMBER PLATE SURROUNDS HOLDER TUNING | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-2-x-CARBON-NUMBER-PLATE-SURROUNDS-HOLDER-TUNING-/321197820214?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac8e1c936)

darich
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I've used the sticky pads with no problems for ages.
Right now though, I've got plastic holders screwed on to the car, with the plates clipped into the holders.

Since we're on the subject, I had a rear plate stolen years ago and reported it to the police. A few nights later I had cops at my door because someone had used my plate on their car, filled up with fuel and driven off.
At the time, I almost didn't report it because it was only a £5 plate and I knew the cops wouldn't be able to do anything or catch anyone. But I did think it could be used for some crime.
Glad I reported it now.

Doctle Odd
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
It annoys me when perfectly sensible guys post a photograph of their car on here showing the number plate. Makes the crooks job easy

mjhamilton
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
It annoys me when perfectly sensible guys post a photograph of their car on here showing the number plate. Makes the crooks job easy

I used to take the time to shop out the plate on public forums but then it occurred to me that I cannot do this whilst driving around town or anywhere on the public roads so stopped bothering to do this

if my plate is used for bilking in Newcastle I think I am pretty safe in proving that I was not there ;)

Phutters
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
I used to take the time to shop out the plate on public forums but then it occurred to me that I cannot do this whilst driving around town or anywhere on the public roads so stopped bothering to do thisCouldn't agree more.

I've never understood why people go to all the bother of disguising number plates in photographs. As you say, the plate is on full public view almost all the time anyway.

I'm quite happy to be convinced that there is a genuine risk of something or other (can't think what) by leaving a number on a photo if someone's prepared to explain it.

vwcabriolet1971
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Why can't VW design a bumper with inserts to take number plate screws ?. They do put inserts into some of the estate/avant rear metal tailgates ,but seem unwilling to address the plastic bumpers.
The EEC should take the lead here and standardize number plate sizes & mounting hole details instead of waisting time with bent banana specifications.

darich
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I've never understood why people go to all the bother of disguising number plates in photographs. As you say, the plate is on full public view almost all the time anyway.

I'm quite happy to be convinced that there is a genuine risk of something or other (can't think what) by leaving a number on a photo if someone's prepared to explain it.

I think it's not so much about lessening your own risk, but not making it easy for scumbags.
If someone saw my plate they could clone it quite easily and drive about London for months in a similar car (I'm in Glasgow) and their car would never be pulled by ANPR because my car is properly insured and taxed.
You're right about genuine risk....it would be hard to charge me with a speeding offence (or worse) in London when I'm in Glasgow so in that way there is little or no risk to me......but by publishing my plate I'd be letting all crooks know my Black 2006 A4's reg plate...and making it easy for them to drive around uninsured for example.

Just my guess....nothing concrete or definite.

mjhamilton
05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
all a crook has to do it look on the Autotrader - plenty of plates to clone there and even sorted by make and model for easy retrieval :)

blake1312
05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
So there should be holes on the car to take screws? I think I know what your on about (link below) about these plate holders, if not will buy some self sticking and put on the back, as a few have mentioned the main reason I want it extra secure is for the reasons highlighted. Cheers for the great response

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151046963188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Guest 2
05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Some cars on the back have mounting holes like mine, to which a plate holder is bolted to and the plate stuck to that.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5ad64e9c-a25c-8fd8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/5ad64e9c-a26a-56e5.jpg

blake1312
05-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Cheers for the pics chris, Tried looking behind as much as I dare as new plates haven't arrived yet, and can see holes so hopefully can screw them on, anyone know how much an audi dealer would charge for a set of those holders as they do look smart and seen most new ones have them, also if I did resort to it would any strong double side tape do? Thanks again

Phutters
05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
...also if I did resort to it would any strong double side tape do? I bought some double-sided number-plate tape from Halfords* and used it to fix both plates on my allroad. The front one is as good a tape test as anything, since not only does it catch the brunt of the weather, it has to stick to a curve as well.

After two years it hasn't shown any signs of falling off.

*Be prepared to have to find it yourself.

As is frequently the case with Halfords, asking one of the clowns who masquerade as helpful staff where any particular item is located is normally met with a gormless stare followed some time later by 'You what?'

blake1312
05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Cheers is this the stuff your on about? Halfords | Halfords Number Plate Tape (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 3489_langId_-1_categoryId_255228)

Doctle Odd
05-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Mrs Odd asked me to pick up a mop in our local hardware store (Woodies) I asked a moron with his hands in his pockets wearing a woodies uniform where the mops were. He pointed to the back of the shop, with his leg.
I bought some double-sided number-plate tape from Halfords* and used it to fix both plates on my allroad. The front one is as good a tape test as anything, since not only does it catch the brunt of the weather, it has to stick to a curve as well.

After two years it hasn't shown any signs of falling off.

*Be prepared to have to find it yourself.

As is frequently the case with Halfords, asking one of the clowns who masquerade as helpful staff where any particular item is located is normally met with a gormless stare followed some time later by 'You what?'

Phutters
05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Mine came on a roll. It's dark green. Well, the peely-off bit is dark green, if you see what I mean.

Seemed better value than paying someone else to cut it into bits with a pair of scissors.

mjhamilton
05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Mrs Odd asked me to pick up a mop in our local hardware store (Woodies) I asked a moron with his hands in his pockets wearing a woodies uniform where the mops were. He pointed to the back of the shop, with his leg.

Did you swiftly punch him squarely in the face?

I feel in this heat that may have been my automatic response

darich
05-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Cheers for the pics chris, Tried looking behind as much as I dare as new plates haven't arrived yet, and can see holes so hopefully can screw them on, anyone know how much an audi dealer would charge for a set of those holders as they do look smart and seen most new ones have them, also if I did resort to it would any strong double side tape do? Thanks again

Personally I wouldn't go to Audi for that type of thing. I don't know how much they would charge but I'd assume more than I could get them myself for.

audi reg plate holders | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xaudi+ reg+plate+holders&_nkw=audi+reg+plate+holders&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

I bought these ones
AUDI 2 x CARBON NUMBER PLATE HOLDERS SURROUNDS | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-2-x-CARBON-NUMBER-PLATE-HOLDERS-SURROUNDS-/360733046872?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53fd5d7858)
Not too bad....secured onto the car, and the holder clips shut with the plate held in place. It doesn't lock so the plate could be removed but the same could be said of sticky pads.

Guest 2
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM

They came on when the car when I bought it from Teesside in 2009 :)

discobarry
05-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I always fasten my number plates to the car with a rivet gun, drill a hole the size of your thin piece of rivet through a good point on your number plate and your bumper/rear and just rivet them on. They remain secure and because they don't rot like screw heads often do.

GarJE
06-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Never drill holes in plates if you can help it. 9 times out of ten, it'll be the point of water penetration/delamination. Use decal tape.

discobarry
06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
....Or get better drill bits, never any problems here and if you drill from the back you won't cause delamination.

POLNEEON
19-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Stickers are really good now

blake1312
20-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Fitted today removed all the gunk the previous owner had used to attach (looked like no more nails!!) :confused: anyway rear had holes underneath so used these with normal plate screws, i had to fit the front by drilling to small pilot holes in the plastic holder and again useing standard plate screws and caps attached useing these. cheers for the great help people :)

Monsieur
27-09-2013, 06:21 PM
so what's the trick in removing number plates glued on?
I want to take mine off and replace with gb type plates

kite
27-09-2013, 07:06 PM
so what's the trick in removing number plates glued on?
I want to take mine off and replace with gb type plates

Fishing line or dental floss...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Monsieur
28-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't fish but my daughter flosses so I'll pinch her floss and give it a go :D