PDA

View Full Version : iPod lead for MK7 Golf

BigCat007
04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I collected our new MK7 GT TSI on Tuesday , it has the Discover Pro Navigation system and came with 2 iPod leads, one has a Blue collar around the lead at the plug that connects to the car socket and the other has a Red collar, the connectors that go to the iPod are the same though the Red Collared lead has a slightly fatter body. Does anyone here know what the difference is?

jk88
05-09-2013, 07:21 AM
The blue collar is the standard lead, the red one has the video chip to allow you to flow video etc from your iPhone. The red lead is normally a £35 add on, but dealers can usually be persuaded to provide FOC if asked (assuming anyone knows to ask in the first place). There's a fair bit on this subject on the A6 forum AMI Leads - if your buying one - make sure you get the one with a Red collar (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129166-AMI-Leads-if-your-buying-one-make-sure-you-get-the-one-with-a-Red-collar).

ept55
05-09-2013, 07:30 AM
The Red lead is basically a updated version of the blue version which allows you to connect your iPhone 5 and lightning connector iPods /iPads you still have to buy an adaptor for it though,why VW hav'nt released a lightning lead yet I don't know.

BigCat007
05-09-2013, 08:41 AM
'My Golf came with both leads and I currently have an iPhone 4S, I can't understand why VW don't use a standard USB socket it would be cheaper to produce and then the standard iPhone cable could be used which is much more flexible. The space in that compartment is very tight so the cable has to be bent and because it is stiff it puts pressure on the plug connectors.

Seppy8410
05-09-2013, 09:54 AM
My Golf (GT with standard Media/Nav) came with the blue lead and when using an iphone (5 with Apple adapotor) it does not show album art.

Have people with the red lead managed to get Album art working on the standard Media/Nav unit?

mcmaddy
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
you need the red collar cable to get album art. blue collar doesn't show album art work

BigCat007
05-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Hate to disagree but I'm using the blue lead with an iPhone 4S and the Album Covers do show, I cant use the red lead that (also supplied with the car) because the body of the connector to the iPhone is bigger and hits the edge of the iPhone case so it doesn't stay plugged in.

dkjc2010
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Do you have the standard nav? I have connected my iphone 4s with the blue lead and cant get album art to show, how are you getting this?

BigCat007
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I have the Discover Nav Pro and when I play one of the albums from my iPhone 4S the cover shows on the right hand side of the display, maybe you need to do an update of the software it is included for 3 years from when you bought your car just go to the VW web site and look under Technology

dkjc2010
06-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks, but you have the Discover Navigation Pro, I have Discover Navigation standard. I don't think you can get the album art on the standard nav.

algarve
06-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I have the Discover Nav Pro and when I play one of the albums from my iPhone 4S the cover shows on the right hand side of the display, maybe you need to do an update of the software it is included for 3 years from when you bought your car just go to the VW web site and look under Technology

i don't think the operational software is updated its just the Navteq maps.

ept55
06-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Get yourself a class 10 SD card then down load your iTunes artwork on to the card make sure it's less than 500x500 pxls then you can transfer it to discover nav. If you can't reduce it in iTunes you can google album art work there's all different sizes to be had.

dkjc2010
07-09-2013, 08:47 PM
How do you transfer the artwork to the discover navigation?

ept55
07-09-2013, 11:23 PM
You can buy one of these MK7 Golf MDI Ipod Cable Lead Red Collar ID3 Tags Video Discover Media & Pro GT | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK7-Golf-MDI-Ipod-Cable-Lead-Red-Collar-ID3-Tags-Video-Discover-Media-Pro-GT-/171037561698?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27d2a21362or) the SD card and once you transfer your files from iTunes to the SD card just load it in the slot in the car and then press the SD tab on the screen and away you go.