PDA

View Full Version : Central locking failure

grubby
04-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi all , a newbie with a much loved audi a4 quattro sports. my problem is the central locking has stopped working , although when i press the key fob i can here the motor/pump running.
have been told it will cost £250.00 plus labour to have this fixed.
is there a way i can do it my self and if so, what is the part number i would be looking for .
I dont have a haynes manual as not sure which one to buy(there's loads of them ).
i have two keys for the car as i had a reserve made at an audi dealership.
is there anything i can try to solve the problem before going to the expense of a new motor/pump.
thanks in anticipation.
grubby

zollaf
04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
if the pump is working you first need to locate the pump, then remove the pipework from it and using your finger ascertain if it is actually making a vacuum and pressure as you lock/unlock. if not, fit a new pump, if it does then you have an air leak in the pipework somewhere. submerging the car in a pond and looking for a smalll stream of bubbles is one way, the other is just physically looking for leaks. possibly in the door shuts. a smoke generator would be a good tool, blow smoke down the pipe from the pump and where you see the smoke come out is the leak.
how someone quoted a confodent 250 without knowing whats wrong is amazing.

grubby
04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
thanks for the quick reply . can you tell me where would i find the pump. thanks

zollaf
04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
its in the boot iirc. if you make it make noises by operating the central locking and follow these noises, you will soon find it. :)
if only everything could be made to make noises.
it will be encased in some foam rubber type material, so not obvious as a pump, probably in the drivers side side locker bit.

grubby
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
thanks i will try to locate it tomorrow.:D

grubby
05-09-2013, 04:57 PM
located the pump, my question is, if i can hear it going, would it be broken ?

mr_dink
05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
It could be. The motor in the pump could still be turning and making the right noises but the impeller (actual pumpy bit) inside could be broken.

You need to check it is moving air as described above.

grubby
05-09-2013, 08:50 PM
thank you mr -dink , have a day off work tomorrow so should be able to check a few things out , thats if the mrs dont want to go shopping :zx11:

grubby
05-09-2013, 08:57 PM
22231 this is the central locking pump, now i have seen a few on ebay that are similar,ranging from £30 to £80 but unsure which one to get if needed. my car is an audi a4 quattro sports 2001 x reg. do i need to get the exact same pump or is there an alternative these days. if so which one. thanks for any help.

Doc B
06-09-2013, 10:28 AM
22231 this is the central locking pump, now i have seen a few on ebay that are similar,ranging from £30 to £80 but unsure which one to get if needed. my car is an audi a4 quattro sports 2001 x reg. do i need to get the exact same pump or is there an alternative these days. if so which one. thanks for any help.

I've had this problem before & instead of looking for a replavement unit I replaced the motor & pumphed within the unit itself. If you just swap over the boxes it won't work as you need to visit Audi to get it coded as it is integral to your immobiliser.

Carefully open the box. If it's all dirty inside (covered in black power) then the vanes in the pump head have desintigrated (they're made of graphite). Got to your local scrappy & find a replacement unit. Open up the replacement unit & remove the motor/pumphead if it's clean inside (just cut the wires). You can remove your old motor/pumphead assembly in the same way & rejoin the wires either by soldering (if you're good at it) or use a connector block (as I did). Put everything back together & hey presto, it all works & no expensive recoding required!

mr_dink
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Any pump with the same number will do, you can use a pump with a different suffix unless it is a or h.
The immobiliser has nothing to do with the central locking system, I swapped an A suffix pump for a G in my car to add remote locking.
It may need recoding but probably not, if so it could be done by a forum member with vcds.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

grubby
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
22254took pump apart and this is what i found . ordered a new one , hoping that just a replacement will do the trick. phoned audi dealership and they wanted £660.00 to put a new pump in and recode it :zx11:. would the board have blown if the pump was'nt working ?

Doc B
09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Any pump with the same number will do, you can use a pump with a different suffix unless it is a or h.
The immobiliser has nothing to do with the central locking system, I swapped an A suffix pump for a G in my car to add remote locking.
It may need recoding but probably not, if so it could be done by a forum member with vcds.

I stand corrected. Maybe I misunderstood what I read on the interweb.

Doc B
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
22254took pump apart and this is what i found . ordered a new one , hoping that just a replacement will do the trick. phoned audi dealership and they wanted £660.00 to put a new pump in and recode it :zx11:. would the board have blown if the pump was'nt working ?

The pumps desintigrate but the rest of the system as quite resiliant I think. You might need to clean the dust off the board as graphite is conductive - use a gentle bit of compressed air. I wouldn't really want to wipe a circuit board with a cloth in case I damaged it. Mine was a mess but worked perfectly afterwards.