PDA

View Full Version : Dash cam & power

razor77
04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I have two FineVu CR500 dashcams that I intend to mount front and rear. I am seeking any advise from anyone who has undertaken a similar feat.

The front will be positioned in the top centre of the screen, just to the left of the rear view mirror. While the rear will most likely be at the top centre of the rear screen. The closer I can find constant power to each, the easier it will be to cable, especially the boot where taking the cable through the hinge looks like it may be a challenge. Has anyone accomplished this task, what's your advise?

The reason for constant power is to enable the camera parking mode, where it will record any movement detected while stationary. I will most likely use with a 'power magic' tool that will stop the supply if the car battery falls below a set voltage, just to prevent starting issues for times the car is left for a long period of time or the battery health dwindles.

Thanks in advance.

belly buster
04-09-2013, 07:15 PM
I have two FineVu CR500 dashcams that I intend to mount front and rear. I am seeking any advise from anyone who has undertaken a similar feat.

The front will be positioned in the top centre of the screen, just to the left of the rear view mirror. While the rear will most likely be at the top centre of the rear screen. The closer I can find constant power to each, the easier it will be to cable, especially the boot where taking the cable through the hinge looks like it may be a challenge. Has anyone accomplished this task, what's your advise?

The reason for constant power is to enable the camera parking mode, where it will record any movement detected while stationary. I will most likely use with a 'power magic' tool that will stop the supply if the car battery falls below a set voltage, just to prevent starting issues for times the car is left for a long period of time or the battery health dwindles.

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking of something similar but will probably resign myself to getting it installed professionally.

razor77
05-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I am thinking of something similar but will probably resign myself to getting it installed professionally.

The challenge of having it done professionally, is finding a shop that actually knows the looms.

If theres no power locally then it's just a case of running the wires to the nearest fuse box... I haven't got as far as investigating the locations of these yet.

As and when I do, if I don't find any guides I'll share details of what I've achieved.

Incidentally the forward facing camera in my A1 was very easy and tidy, although I have cheated and plugged it into the 12v socket, the cable neatly and easily tucked into the roof covering, window pillar and under the dash.

Guest 2
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
From memory I'm pretty sure the C7 has a fusebox either end of the dash and in the boot somewhere, maybe on the left hand side behind a removable panel.

As you said, you could use a Power Magic Pro ( Power Magic Pro In Car Camera Power Management | Advanced In Car Technologies (http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/power-magic-pro) ) but what I'm doing in both cars for my Blackvue's is getting a normal fuse tap as per Switched feed- which fuse box (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?149812-Switched-feed-which-fuse-box&highlight=fuse+tap) and end up with something like this - Non vag black box dash cams? - Page 2 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145917-Non-vag-black-box-dash-cams&p=816353#post816353)

It wont make use of the parking mode but I'm not too bothered about that tbh.

daycartes
05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I've just bought myself a MUVI camera which I can use both in the car and on my bike when out cycling. The field of view is excellent and it works on a constant loop. It's located on the dashboard and has worked well over the past few days. It has a VOX setting which means that it is triggered by 65 decibels of sound. Having left it in the car yesterday all day, the battery lasted and I could see by the number of files that it had been triggered a few times. One of these cameras at the front and back will serve to video shunts at the front and rear but it will not cover side impacts. I am happy to use it as a portable device rather than wire it in. Cost about £70 each. My model a 720p version has now been superceded.
On the question of power magic, my A6 C6 automatically shut off the power to auxilliaries in the event of low power, so I wonder if it would be necessary to go down the power magic route?
Hope this helps.
I've just noticed that the word in capitals above is hyperlinked. Mine is made by the same firm but is not the model hyperlinked

fysmd
05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Hiya. I have a proper geek solution.
I tried a perm power source (dead easy in front drivers side fuse box) but was very surprised at how quickly my blackvue dropped the large car battery voltage do low that all sorts of car features got disabled: stop start and lights on when unlock et.

So I added a supplementary battery and a small UPS board. Will have to go lookup the maker etc.

It is connected to the ignition only power socket in the boot and charges the 2ndary battery while the car is on. Down side is there is no protection against flattening this battery so I'll be making some adjustments.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

belly buster
07-09-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm amazed Audi (and others) don't offer these as a factory option. You would have thought it would be pretty easy to add given the small size of the aftermarket devices.

wolkenkuckuck
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Audi want £400 for a Reversing Camera. Imagine what it would cost if they included a recording facility and motion sensors as well!