PDA

View Full Version : GT vs SE Suspension

hencyber12
03-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Hi,

Regarding my last post my wife test drove the 1.4 122hp SE DSG Golf today and she absolutely loved it. The only new golf we could find in the system however was a new Golf GT 140 ACT DSG, my wife loved the SE golf but I am worried she might be disappointed with the ride quality in the GT, is the ride any firmer and are the seats firmer also?

Thank you for your replies

jk88
03-09-2013, 07:20 AM
It is firmer, but not by much (assuming it has the standard 17" wheels). On the plus side, you get a technically more advanced engine, better fuel economy, more kit and more supportive seats. The 140 ACT and DSG is a brilliant combination. Having said that, try before you buy just to be sure it suits.

maisbitt
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Not sure if the 1.4 122PS comes with the multilink rear suspension (the 140ACT does), it may just have the 2ye olde" fixed rear axle. The multilink is a step up in ride quality, although the suspension will be a smidge firmer.

GolfFanBoy
03-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Ride comfort has always been high on my list of criteria for a new car and the last 4 VW's have all been SE. When I went to order the MK7 I was going to go with the SE again but after test driving a couple of GT's I was surprised that the ride was virtually identical to my MK6. The first GT I drove had 18" wheels which were less forgiving over larger bumps in the road but on the standard 17's it was really smooth. Seats are a little firmer than the SE but in a good way, certainly felt comfortable to me.

The other reason the GT suited me was the standard equipment (parking sensors, front fogs, etc) which I was going to put on an SE but didn't make financial sense.

DW58
03-09-2013, 08:45 AM
AFAIK the 1.4TSi 122PS does have the multilink rear suspension, but I don't think the 1.6TDi 105PS has it.

I test drove a 1.4TSi SE 122PS 6-speed manual and 2.0TDi GT 150PS DSG one after the other and didn't notice much difference in handling to be honest, the SE had 16" wheels, the GT with 17". I'd have quite liked the GT and considered getting the ACT version, but for my low milage I just couldn't justify it as the 122PS performance is fine for an old fart like me who is only three weeks away from hitting 55 ... ... ... Ssssh don't tell anyone ;)

OldBoy22
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Hencyber12, the GT rides just great. Test drove it on the 18's and it was on the firm side but the standard 17's ride really nice, look fantastic and scale wise suit the car more IMO.

Picked up our GT on the weekend and the Missus (who had spinal fusion 8 years ago) cannot get over how nicely this thing drives.

maisbitt
04-09-2013, 07:51 AM
AFAIK the 1.4TSi 122PS does have the multilink rear suspension, but I don't think the 1.6TDi 105PS has it.

Makes sense, I was sure I read somewhere that there was a sub-120PS cut-off point, so the 122PS 1.4 will just scrape in.