PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Rear parking sensors - strangle fault, help appreciated!

GE90
01-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi All

Sorry, but would really appreciate some help. I have a 2005 A4 Avant. The rear parking sensors have been intermittently playing up for months. They sometime don't come on until too close, but main problem is that I SOMETIMES get a constant warning after selecting reverse without reason. If I restart the car it seems to reset and work....

Right, there are no fault codes according to main dealer (£110 later!). I have replaced all sensors with eBay ones from Bob Audi, advertised as genuine OEM (maybe not...?). I have replaced the controller with a new one I purchased from Audi (£120!), and have removed and inspected the harness. However, problem is still present!!!!

Any ideas appreciated, driving me mad!!!

Thanks

kblackburn
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi, I have the same problem with my Seat exeo (A4) b7, been to the dealer several times, with the same result as yourself. However, I had vcds and it clearly shows faulty sensors, intermittently, so this last time I recorded it on my mobile to prove the fault, success 2 faulty sensors under warranty. You need your car on vcds in measuring blocks, and just watch the sensor activity.

TommyTits
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Have the sensors and feeds been checked? I've worked on cars where the sensor or sensors have been the problem themselves...example....moisture finding its way in, also the wiring has chafed on something causing a short etc. A down sensor can confuse it to buggery...just a thought

GE90
01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi TT, thanks for your reply. These have already been checked by Audi, and typically enough they worked perfectly while at the dealer. Drove home, parked on the drive - constant tone!!!! Just don't know what to do next.....?

kodkod.84
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
The £110 'scan' charge is diabolical- VW tried charging me this for an ESP fault on the MK5. You can get a decent scanner for less than this. Bet they still charge for this even if you go in with a print out of the fault codes...

GE90
01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Yep, agreed!! Any ideas??????

Doctle Odd
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Plug it into VCDS and take a drive, gather some live data it should pick up intermittent faults VWAF User Location Map - VCDS - Google Maps (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=209563024277134815192.0004c505be14b22419db e&msa=0&ll=56.231139,-2.779541&spn=3.493691,10.821533&iwloc=0004c505cfcb6158e0447)

TommyTits
01-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Have you a tow bar??? Man or auto??? aftermarket of factory fitted??? factory im guessing...erm its a hard one indeed as you have check or replaced everything that you can to do with that area.

TommyTits
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Tip...You should hear a fast clicking/crackling from sensors if they are doing their job, ignition on engine off, in reverse, hop out and have a listen...I am with Doctle odd too, Hooked up roadtest would be good but more expense...normally 2 types of faults shown, intermittent or permanent, if intermittent quite possible that they are clearing themselves, very likely that the sensors will have an intermittent rather than a permanent.

GE90
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks.... No tow bar, manual and factory fit........ No sound, but I can feel a tapping type sensation from each of them. Perhaps dodgy ebay sensors then? I would be a little surprised, as seller has good feedback and sold lots of them over a few years! I suppose it can only be the sensors or the harness....??? Thanks again

TommyTits
02-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Tapping sensation mean that they seem to be working or at least doing something, only other thing I can think of is, on the sensor top there should be a mark of some sort to let you know which way round they sit in you bumper, it may be a lil nobble and normally that nobble is located at bottom when looking face on for correct position of sensor, make sure they are all like that, check any instruction you got with sensors. Honestly things off ebay are not always trustworthy, feedback can be false or tweeked in some cases, but that said they are probably all good. So other than that mate the only other thing is to strip it all out and start from scratch, with a multimeter, checking continuity etc...honestly an **** ache....if they work most of the time I wouldn't worry too much. Do let me know if you find a fix for it though if you continue your quest ;0)

RhiRhi
22-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Not quite sure how to use this forum but I am having problems with my much loved A6 s line when I put her in reverse she makes a high pitched tone and on my screen in the car, showing the parameters of the car, it I just flickers? It's driving me mad! Sometimes I have the high pitched solid tone and other times nothing at all the sensors don't work full stop? Help please :1zhelp:

kblackburn
22-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi,
you need your connected up to a vcds system to locate the fault .

RhiRhi
22-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Ok thank you now my next question is what does all that mean?? Lol I am a nurse so vcds? Means nothing to me sorry :)