PDA

View Full Version : adding a CD changer

Adrian James
30-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I have just bought a genuine Audi cd changer for my A7 (hope its the right one, it has the Fibre Optic link, before i take the glove box out, where it would normally be fitted, to fit would any body know if the wiring is in palce in the car or if i need to buy any more cables or links. and also if when it is fitted do i need to then take it to a dealer to 'initialise' ?? :1zhelp:
i have also posted this in the in car entertainment section if thats ok.

@mark
30-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I have just bought a genuine Audi cd changer for my A7 (hope its the right one, it has the Fibre Optic link, before i take the glove box out, where it would normally be fitted,

The manual says:

The CD changer is located in the glove box. You can load standard audio CDs or CDs with MP3/WMA files into the CD changer. CD mode is started and operated via the MMI system

Adrian James
30-08-2013, 08:02 PM
i know that Mark, my car doesnt have one, so i have just bought one and want to fit it, my question is, is the necessary wiring in place in the car ?

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Probably not to be honest, do you have another drive in the glovebox for multimedia?

Adrian James
30-08-2013, 08:09 PM
no, just the multimedia centre inc the dvd player centre dash

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Could be tricky then, did you ask Audi if there's a retrofit available?

Did you do any research and see if anyone's done it before? Which changer did you buy?

Adrian James
30-08-2013, 08:15 PM
i have bought 'CD Changer MMI 3G - 8X0035110 C which was listed for the A7 and on the understanding that i can return it if its wrong.

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Well if 3G+ is anything like 2G you can just buy a fibre/power splitter and run that off another fibre device so you should maybe pull the DVD player up and you should be able to get a splitter from audi and plug the changer in.

Do you have the link to the changer? This will probably require component protection removed by audi.

Adrian James
30-08-2013, 08:21 PM
i dont have a link ? and what is component protection ?

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Oh I assumed you bought it off eBay.

Component protection is a software restriction to stop parts being stolen and being illegitinately sole and this can only be removed by an Audi dealer or someone with the correct software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndiye
31-08-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm just being curious here, but why have you opted to go down the cd changer route as opposed to ripping your cd collection to a hard drive or sd card and play your content from there? You've considered this already, but I just want to know your thinking, maybe I missed something as thats what I did, and I found it works pretty well . . . . .
Cd changer . . . . . IMHO from reading this thread seems like you're heading into murky waters with a paper rudder?

@mark
31-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Not sure if this is of any use but it might give you a clue what to look for

AUDI A7 SPORTBACK [A7] (FAW-VW) 2012: ACCESSORIES, INFOTAINMENT: 03538. CONNECTION FOR EXTERNAL; AUDIO SOURCES; CD CHANGERS; DVD CHANGER (http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a7-sportback-a7-vw-2012-03538-connection-for-external-audio-sources-cd-changers-dvd-changer/)

Adrian James
31-08-2013, 10:09 AM
something that i want, simple as that.:approve:

I'm just being curious here, but why have you opted to go down the cd changer route as opposed to ripping your cd collection to a hard drive or sd card and play your content from there? You've considered this already, but I just want to know your thinking, maybe I missed something as thats what I did, and I found it works pretty well . . . . .
Cd changer . . . . . IMHO from reading this thread seems like you're heading into murky waters with a paper rudder?

shabazmo
31-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry to be a pain, but i am with ndiye on this one. The A7 hard drives, SD cards, MP3 player, ipad or just flash key are just better ways to listen to 1000's of songs. But if thats what you want then go for it. It was just that the other day my wife has asked for a new CD wall rack for home.... and guess what I said. ..........

M1tchy
01-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes darling of course you can have one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD