PDA

View Full Version : Droning Noise

a8tdi
29-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Collected my D4 A8 yesterday, i notice a droning noise from the car, its not very loud. The car has brand new pirelli pzero tyres and i am wondering if its maybe these generating the noise. I don't think its mechanical. The car had done 34000 miles with full dealer service history..

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience..

Thanks.

Kar Krazy
29-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Try to find if it's related to road speed or engine speed.

Droning suggests a wheel bearing failing. This will not change with engine speed, but might change with road speed.

My A3 made a vibration at around 2100 rpm but at first I thought it was only when decelerating through a certain road speed (30 or 40, I can't remember which) and it turned out to be two problems: a loose clip on the turbo wastegate as well a harmonic vibration of the entire fuel pipe. The local Audi dealer fixed both free of charge: a new clip covered by the used car warranty and some kind of foam tape wrapped around the fuel pipe to keep it quiet.

I have recently changed the tyres and that made the car even quieter.

wattsn
29-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Well, my experience with my brand new A8 (2500 miles thus far) is that it is not the quietest of cars, with the only noise in the cabin being road/tyre noise. I came from an XJ and that car on a local dual carriageway was 75dB in the cabin at 75mph. This A8 on the same road is between 78-81dB, thereby double or triple the road noise (sound volume doubles every 3dB). It is so noticeable that I now have people whom I call on the car hands free asking me what the terrible droning noise is. With mine I think it is the Continental tyres. My XJ was shod with Dunlop Sportmaxx so will try those when the time to change comes round.

a8tdi
30-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Just an update, I am 99% sure its the tyres.. When i drive on a piece of flat pure tarmac the car is near silent..

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Low profile tyres will make horrendous road noise, I suffer this everyday in my A6 with /35 tyres :(

snapdragon
31-08-2013, 05:54 PM
We had an A8 D4 for a week and it was significantly nosier and sometimes harsher ride than my D3 on the move, particularly on metal-chip or rough roads.
I put it down to 20" wheels vs. 17"

wattsn
31-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Yep, definitely tyres. Just got back from a 300 mile round trip up the M4 and back and road noise on 80% of the journey was horrendous. On smooth tarmac it is blissfully quiet. Getting rather disappointed with mine (A8 D4 Sport Exec with 20" wheels) now because of this and spoiling an otherwise fab car. It is way noisier than the XJL (X351) it replaces. It goes in Tuesday for other work and they are loaning me another A8 D4, likely with 19" so will do a comparison over same road with dB meter.

a8tdi
01-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I am thinking its actually the tyre brand rather than the size of wheels.. My wheels are the factory fit 19 inch alloys. The tyres are brand new Pirelli's. Does anyone know what tyres Audi fit as standard to these wheels ? I am hoping its not Pirelli and i think it may be continentals, at least this would give me some hope when a tyre change is required..

a8tdi
01-09-2013, 07:24 AM
wattsn, it will be interesting to read your feedback with the other car.. Could you also let us know the tyre brand on the temp car..

snapdragon
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
The noisy D4 loancar I had was shod with Pirelli tyres where the fronts are different design to rears!
How rediculous is that? It's called PZero System (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/car/sheet/pzero_system.html).
They also get an F for economy in the EU tyre rating.

wattsn
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
My 2013 3.0TDi Sport Exec is shod with Continental ContiSportContact 3's on 20" rims. My XJ had Dunlop SportMaxx also on 20" rims and they were beatifully silent. So it may indeed be tyre brand as opposed to wheel size. I may ask my dealer to swap tyres to another brand and if they say no then I will likely go back to Jaguar as I certainly cannot put up with the current noise levels much longer.

a8tdi
02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Just nipped into Audi Glasgow, one of the mechanics took my car a test drive and confirmed it is indeed road noise. He said the quietest and strangely enough the most expensive would be the Dunlop's.. My tires are all only weeks old and cost over £1000 a set.. I will just need to put up with the drone for a bit longer..

dizzyfrank
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I can recommend Dunlops for a nice ride but make sure they are RT's. I fitted 255/40ZR19 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's the weekend before last and have just put a good 1000+ miles on them seeing family in Scotland. Very quiet at motorway speed and fantastic round corners. They are A rated in the wet too but yet to see any rain. Lovely to fit and took minimal weights to balance (sign of a quality tyre on a true wheel). Google them as Dunlop have done some great videos to explain the thinking behind the design of them.

£754 delivered from Camskill :biggthump

a8tdi
02-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I can recommend Dunlops for a nice ride but make sure they are RT's. I fitted 255/40ZR19 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's the weekend before last and have just put a good 1000+ miles on them seeing family in Scotland. Very quiet at motorway speed and fantastic round corners. They are A rated in the wet too but yet to see any rain. Lovely to fit and took minimal weights to balance (sign of a quality tyre on a true wheel). Google them as Dunlop have done some great videos to explain the thinking behind the design of them.

£754 delivered from Camskill :biggthump

Thanks for that.. Its good to get a view based on experience.. And at that price they are a good bit less than the Pirelli's that sound like they are on tracks.

P.S, as a Scotsman i cant believe you actually came to Scotland and never encountered the rain.. !

dizzyfrank
02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
:D

I was on the east coast too so it is quite stunning that I got a bloody suntan!!

a8tdi
03-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Yep, definitely tyres. Just got back from a 300 mile round trip up the M4 and back and road noise on 80% of the journey was horrendous. On smooth tarmac it is blissfully quiet. Getting rather disappointed with mine (A8 D4 Sport Exec with 20" wheels) now because of this and spoiling an otherwise fab car. It is way noisier than the XJL (X351) it replaces. It goes in Tuesday for other work and they are loaning me another A8 D4, likely with 19" so will do a comparison over same road with dB meter.

Hi wattsn , any news on the other A8 ?

wattsn
03-09-2013, 11:27 PM

Well, took my car in, waited for loan car only to be told that the salesman had forgotten to prepare the A8 so they could only offer me a manual A3. As I was taking the family to Longleat today I told them I was less than pleased, collected my keys and told them to book me in when they had an A8 to loan me as promised.

So no update yet I'm afraid.

keitht1
04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi,

Mine is a D4 4.2 on 19s. I do get road noise from the (almost down to the limit) Eagle F1s but not horrendous unless the road surface is poor.

Watsn - I'm around most of next week if you're doing an M4 run again and want to compare?

Keith

a8toa6convert
09-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Just noticed this thread. I had a week in a D4 on 21" rotors with Dunlop SportMaxx RT and the road noise on less than perfect motorway surfaces was shocking for a car in that class. Yet I'm now driving a 2012 535d on the same tyres in 245/45 18" (replaced the factory RFTs) and it's very quiet. 2 reasons: (i) the lower profile and the wider the tyre, the more resonance gets set up in the tyre by coarse road surfaces (ii) the A8 body is terrible at transmitting that resonance into the cabin: it's almost like Audi made no effort at all. SportMaxx RTs are a fantastic supple quiet grippy design, possibly the best tyre out there at the moment for heavy fast luxury cars, but they can't work miracles on the A8, especially in bigger sizes !

Lukenkarl
09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Low profile tyres will make horrendous road noise, I suffer this everyday in my A6 with /35 tyres :( X 2. Always swop 'em round when it gets too bad then it is a little quieter.

Guest 2
09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
X 2. Always swop 'em round when it gets too bad then it is a little quieter.

I never swapped mine, I got 32k out Michelin PS2 255/35/19 and the rears are needing replaced now at 37k!

Lukenkarl
09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I never swapped mine, I got 32k out Michelin PS2 255/35/19 and the rears are needing replaced now at 37k!That some good mileage out of the rears.

wattsn
09-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Well, I took my wife's Q7 in today for some work and they have loaned me the A8 they mentioned when my A8 was due to go in (I am apparently keeping this one till they have sorted out both the Q7 and my A8). However, the one they have loaned me is identical to mine, a 13 plate 3.0TDi Sport Exec with the same 20" 5 spoke alloys. However, while my car has the ContiSportContact 3's this loaner Has Eagle F1's. However, not good news as this loan car has the exact same level of road noise as mine. Unfortunately, I can now see me getting more and more p'd off with mine by the day and swapping back to an XJ in the very near future. Such a shame. I swapped to the A8 due to the stunning interior and build quality of internal fitments, considering I spend so much time in the cabin. But now I am continually hounded by the appalling cabin noise so can't win :(

a8tdi
09-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies and updates. I think i will run my current Pirelli's till they require changing then have another browse around. If its the car thats responsible for the noise its a real shame, my d3 was the 3 litre Quattro sport and also had 19 inch alloys, but no noise..

If anyone comes across a d4 model with very little road noise please do let me know..

a8tdi
09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Well, I took my wife's Q7 in today for some work and they have loaned me the A8 they mentioned when my A8 was due to go in (I am apparently keeping this one till they have sorted out both the Q7 and my A8). However, the one they have loaned me is identical to mine, a 13 plate 3.0TDi Sport Exec with the same 20" 5 spoke alloys. However, while my car has the ContiSportContact 3's this loaner Has Eagle F1's. However, not good news as this loan car has the exact same level of road noise as mine. Unfortunately, I can now see me getting more and more p'd off with mine by the day and swapping back to an XJ in the very near future. Such a shame. I swapped to the A8 due to the stunning interior and build quality of internal fitments, considering I spend so much time in the cabin. But now I am continually hounded by the appalling cabin noise so can't win :(

And the goodyears are very low noise tyre at 68DB.. !

wattsn
10-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Not with the 20" rims unfortunately. 81dB on less than perfect road surfaces (about 95% of UK roads) :(

a8tdi
15-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Ok, going to try a part worn set of goodyear eagle f1's.. They will set me back around £300 but its better than £1000. These tyres have a 68DB and i think were on my d3 a8 which also had 19 inch alloys and no noticeable road noise..

I will update when done..

a8tdi
19-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Ok, got my part worn goodyear eagle f1's. These are being fitted tomorrow and I will update with results..My fingers are crossed.

a8tdi
21-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Still droning.. The guy who fitted the tyres said it sounds like a bearing...This isn't good from what is a top range vehicle..

wattsn
22-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh dear, that's not good news. Unfortunately, I now believe it to be the design of the car as the local Audi sales guy told me this is a known issue with the A8. Quite appalling really. I'm going to try an A7 in the not too distant future and if no noticeable improvement will have no option but to leave the brand. Such a shame :(

a8tdi
22-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi wattsn, yip its the car design. Today i went and seen a friend of mine, we went to a friend of his who is a master-tech in one of the Audi dealerships. He confirmed the noise i am hearing is common to all A8 D4's. He did say that i could try 18inch alloys which may lessen the drone. He also said that some of the A7's are similar. I still cannot believe that a car which is the flagship of the Audi range is sold with such a design flaw..

wattsn
27-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Apologies, only just seen your reply. This is quite shocking and will certainly drive me away from the brand sooner rather than later. Shame as everything else about the car is just gorgeous. No way am I putting saucers on mine :(

openijl
28-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi there,

I think I have found exactly the same droning noise problem with Audi A6 and A7 that has been reported several times on this forum - a resonance on a component of the car (which may be the suspension), which is being excited by vibrational energy injected into the car from the road.

The frequency of the resonance is 220Hz. People report this problem as being worse with, or "because of", low profile tyres - as you find on 19 inch and 20 inch wheels for example.

In simple terms, the lower the profile of the tyres, the less energy is absorbed by them, resulting in more energy being injected into the car, causing the car's components to resonate more loudly.

This is certainly not "road noise" or "tyre noise" as suggested by Audi. In my technical opinion - I have a degree in Physics and have worked for many years in engineering - it is nothing less than a design defect - a product defect with the Audi A6 / A7.

I have a May 2012 Audi A6 3.0 TDi BiTurbo (quattro) SE, fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 255 40R19 100Y tyres on Audi 19 inch x 8.5J 15-spoke star alloy wheels.

I have had what is now an unbearable resonance, at a constant frequency of 220Hz - regardless of road speed - since 5000 miles on the clock.

I complained to Audi four months into my ownership of this car. The car has been taken to two different Audi dealerships, each time for a 1-week long "diagnostic" by the dealers - who received no compensation whatsoever for their time from Audi UK.

Despite my many requests, both to the dealers and to Audi UK, neither dealer was prepared to test drive my car with me, using different wheels or tyres. Their stated reason was that they were getting no compensation for from Audi UK for their time spent doing this.

In all, I have experienced pathetic "support" and customer service from Audi UK.

After driving another Audi A6 SE, I am totally convinced that this is an A6 design problem. This second A6 had totally different wheels and tyres - 17 inch wheels, and therefore a deeper tyre profile, which transmitted less energy into the vehicle - and yet I heard the same 220Hz resonance, albeit far more feintly.

In case anyone is wondering - no: this isn't my hearing or imagination. I have the sound recordings, and we will shortly be performing audio measurements, including spectrum analysis and assessment of resonances, on the car.

The A7 shares the A6 chassis etc, and so the A7 likely suffers from the same problem as the A6.

This noise wasn't present during my test drive of the vehicle, otherwise I would never have bought an Audi A6. However with wearing of the tyres, it has become noticeable and has become worse as the tread on the tyres has worn thinner.

I advised Audi 6 months ago that I rejected the car on the basis of this defect.

Really, this is totally unacceptable on a car costing almost GBP £50,000 as specified.

I'm about to have the tyres, tyres + wheels, tyres + wheels + hubs/suspension, hubs/suspension sound tested (frequency response) for resonances. I'm determined to find the root problem then hold Audi to account.

Why don't we gather together, assess the frequency of the resonances that you have heard, then get on to Audi?

I'm pretty sure they are already aware of the problem, but that of course they don't want to admit to it.

Best regards,
Ian

john2107
04-12-2013, 07:45 PM
This is a topic of big interest to me. As of last week I now own a 3.0BiTDi A6 on 20" wheels, previous cars were a 2010 A6 3.0TDi Sline on 18" wheels, 2008 A4 3.0TDi and a couple of Saab 2.3 turbos. I seem to be really sensitive to low frequency rumble and it's effect on making long journeys more tiresome. The BiTDi is a fantastic car, though with much more noticeable low frequency rumble than the previous A6 (albeit much better suspension). The A4 was a gem (late B7 with top spec). Previously, when I had the second Saab, which was Hirsch tuned and originally on 18" wheels I got so fed up with the rumble that after many attempts at soundproofing I switched to 17" wheels, which virtually cured the problem. With the previous two Audi's I have switched from the factory fitted Pirelli P Zeros onto Vredestein Sessantas, which apparently have softer sidewalls yet still are great tyres. In both cases they have proved to be much quieter tyres than the Pirellis. I shall look at doing something very similar on the BiTDi. Can't comment on A7s and A8s, but I can sympathise with those who have similar problems. Some people seems sensitive to it, others just don't.

openijl
05-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi wattsn, yip its the car design. Today i went and seen a friend of mine, we went to a friend of his who is a master-tech in one of the Audi dealerships. He confirmed the noise i am hearing is common to all A8 D4's. He did say that i could try 18inch alloys which may lessen the drone. He also said that some of the A7's are similar. I still cannot believe that a car which is the flagship of the Audi range is sold with such a design flaw..

Hi there a8tdi, wattsn,

Just a few quick thoughts.

Have you tried rejecting the car? Have you involved Audi UK?

If your car is on HP / PCP / any kind of hire agreement, you can tell the finance company (mine is Audi Finance) that you reject the car and that you're paying the monthly fees under protest. They should then take the case up with Audi, and aim to get a resolution for you within 8 weeks.

Can you describe the drone? What's the frequency / pitch of the tone? Is it the same frequency at all road speeds?

Has your Audi dealer put in writing the fact that this is a known problem? Would they be prepared to email you describing the noise and saying that you should accept it?

Otherwise, what internal communication within Audi, or between the master techs, could you maybe get a copy of?

Best regards, Ian

wattsn
11-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Hi Ian

Apologies for not replying sooner. I have not been on the forums for a while and received no notifications of your posts. I have a 2013 A8 Sport Executive on 20" rims and the noise, on certain road surfaces is very bad. What I have found is that on high tarmac content surfaces the noise is just not there but as soon as you drive on high chipping content surfaces then the noise appears. And on concrete roads it is almost unbearable. It spoils what is otherwise a stunning vehicle.

I have made the supplying Audi dealer aware of this but they are just not interested. One of the salesmen at the dealer even commented that he drove the MD's car and himself thought it unacceptable. But as he does not drive an A8 regularly I guess he too has no interest in following it up. My current situation is that after having 2 x Jaguar XJs (May 2012-May 2013), the first replaced by Jaguar due to constant issues and then selling the replacement due to poor quality and rattles etc I really just not sure I want to go through all that again. I am desperately trying just to enjoy the car otherwise I am in my second year of car frustrations. I realise this is defeatist but I am now just enjoying the car and putting up with the noise on those occasions I drive on poor surfaces. The rest of the car is just sublime.

My vehicle is on a PCP type deal with Audi finance so I guess maybe I should at least register the issue, so over the coming days I will write a letter to them and get this done. I will also then complain further to the dealer and follow up that way.

trigy
02-05-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm about to have the tyres, tyres + wheels, tyres + wheels + hubs/suspension, hubs/suspension sound tested (frequency response) for resonances. I'm determined to find the root problem then hold Audi to account.

Why don't we gather together, assess the frequency of the resonances that you have heard, then get on to Audi?

I'm pretty sure they are already aware of the problem, but that of course they don't want to admit to it.

Best regards,
Ian

Did you Ian or someone else ever found any root cause for suspension resonances? I drive an A7 with sport suspension and I'm plagued with this issue. My issue appeared after 63.000km after the car had been lifted up. I immediately noticed the droning. Could it maybe be some bushing or other damping element in the suspension?

a8tdi
02-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Hi Trigy, after three different tyre types this noise is still present in my A8. My car has been to Audi for a couple of unrelated warranty issues and on each occasion I ask about the noise to be told it's just the noise of the car.

Strangely enough I just recently upgraded from 19 to 21 inch rotors with continental rubber and the noise is slightly quieter. I have just accepted the noise and hopefully the new model doesn't have the issue..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trigy
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
I have a hard time accepting the noise since the car was completely silent until 63.000 km. I have been riding on several A6's which have been silent. So I believe there has to be a mechanical issue within the suspension which can be fixed or at least mitigated.

damtom85
09-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Let me tell you my experience. Till yesterday I owned mazda 6 2013 with 19" wheels 245/40/19 Bridgestone turanza. Yesterday I picked up Audi a8 d4 2012, with 18" wheels (235/55/18) goodyear but I can't tell you now exact model. Omg what a difference, Audi the quietest car I have ever owned. I think high profile of tyres (55) changes a lot.

LazyDog
09-05-2015, 04:59 PM
One year ago I also had a brand new D4 for one week while my D3 was under repair. Both cars were 3.0 TDi's. The D4 had 18 inch wheels with Continentals, my D3 had 19 inch wheel with continentals. By returning the dealer asked for my opinion about the D4, I had only one serious remark and that was the noise. The D4 is just noisier then the D3 dont know what causing it but imo it's a fact.

trigy
11-05-2015, 12:41 PM
I had the "pleasure" of riding with my colleagues Skoda Superb last week. The Superb was far more quiet compared to my A7! Normal tyre "humming" goes to the favor of A7 but the annoying higher pitch "broken wheel bearing" type of droning sound kills the A7. There are indications that this issue might be related to the aluminium parts used in A6/A7 suspension system combined with the stiffer sports suspension.

Sports suspension or not, the fact is that the Superb was more quiet. Tyres on the Skoda were a bite narrower but the profile was lower.

I still think there is some component letting this structure borne resonance/tyre sound through to the chassis and to the cabin. I have a hard time believing that Audi would have missed something so obvious.

I have agreed with the local Audi dealer of a test run with an A7 with sports suspension. If their car is quiet, then we will change tyres from their car to mine and take it for a spin. If the sound is there, they have to rule out tyres and start looking for the actual root cause.

shedlerman
02-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Hello!
Have the same problem with Audi A8 droning noise. Change all wheels, tyres, 18, 19, 20. All the same.Audi service man cant says "No problem in your car!"
Maybe someone solved this problem?