PDA

View Full Version : Does Mk7 Golf have a timing belt or chain?

golfmaster
29-08-2013, 12:08 AM
There is a lot of issues with chains breaking in bmw diesels. I am a high mileage driver who likes to keep a car for a good while. Can anyone tell me has the new mk7 golf got a timing belt or chain? I was thinking of buying a mk7 golf. I was thinking of phoning a vw garage to ask but i thought i would try the forum first.

Guest 2
29-08-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure most if not all diesels are belts.

Stick to 60k/4 years whichever comes first.

maisbitt
29-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Don't the TDIs now have a belt that is supposed to last the life of the car and not need replacing (with no official recommended timelines for replacement)?

Thought the 2.0TSI engine had a chain - the Scirocco/MK6 Golf GTI 2.0TSI 211PS engine does.

mcmaddy
29-08-2013, 09:59 PM
no belt will last the lifetime no matter what vw say. even if they say it does I still wouldn't trust them!

maisbitt
30-08-2013, 08:46 AM
no belt will last the lifetime no matter what vw say. even if they say it does I still wouldn't trust them!
I don't trust them, but VW seem to have the confidence to remove it's compulsory replacement from their service schedule for 2.0TDIs fitted to MK7 Golfs. As a matter of caution i'd probably want it replaced at 80k miles even if it is supposed to last as long as the rest of the car.

dcdick
30-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't trust them, but VW seem to have the confidence to remove it's compulsory replacement from their service schedule for 2.0TDIs fitted to MK7 Golfs. As a matter of caution i'd probably want it replaced at 80k miles even if it is supposed to last as long as the rest of the car.

The last Golf I had with a belt cam drive was a Mk4 1.6 petrol match that initially had only a service inspection for the belt & renewal was at something like 125k..............then all of a sudden the belt had to be changed at 40k for all cars !!

Whats the betting this happens again, or is it just the cynic in me thinks this ;)

D

golfmaster
30-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Lifelong belts may sound impressive but I am keen to learn (a) the cost of a replacement belt and (b) the location of the belt under the bonnet.

There is a lot of info online about the problems and expense replacing diesel bmw 'lifelong' timing chains esp since the BBC Watchdog episode highlighted this in June this year. BBC One - Watchdog - BMW deny engine failures are due to manufacturing fault (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/bmw-chains-snap-n47-engine-2007-2009)

Therefore could anyone find out the cost of the timing belt for a 2.0TDI Mark 7 Golf and if it is much dearer than a typical timing belt?
Also how handy are they accessed under the bonnet as an 'engine out' job like the bmw will be a major additional expense?

Thanks all for the replies to date.

Teflon
30-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Hmmm. This one makes me ponder.

When looking to swap my CR engined Passat I made enquires on the Audi part of the site about the current diesel engines and was told that they were now chain driven, which suited me just fine.

I've had a cam belt go on me many years ago, I still have the bad back from taking out the engine for a complete rebuild and the bent valve sits proudly on top of my monitor alongside the piece of MG aluminium head I had to literally saw in half to separate it from the block. But that was caused by stones thrown up into an exposed bite on a newly surfaced road. Protection is a bit better nowadays.

In principle I'm happy with the idea of a belt, but not one that needs changing every 4 years irrespective of mileage. I did a lot of research - WV and Lada were the only marques pulling this stunt. I've just (very reluctantly) had the belts done at 6 years on my Golf and the wife's car at 16k and 11k respectively. It's a massive, money making con!

The BBC watchdog programme was about BMW chain drives at the rear of the engine, which is just about the most stupid place I can imagine to fit one. A replacement is an engine out job so no-one is ever going to be tempted to do a precautionary swap. Honda and others seem to make a chain last for intergalactic mileages so I don't see why the Teutons can't do the same.

A chain must be better than a belt every 4 years. So I'd settle for a belt that needed changing at 80k or 10 years. Or a chain at the front of the engine that I can change myself at about the same frequency. Anything else is just pants.

By the way, a belt swap and new water pump using VW OEM parts was £280 at a very good VW only indy that I would recommend to anyone. Dealer price was about £430 IIRC. I can't see if being much different on a Mk 7

dickt
30-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Teflon.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Spot on.

vwcabriolet1971
31-08-2013, 10:39 PM
VW have had significant problems with chains fitted to the 1.4TSI engine . Many owners are faced with replacing complete engines (£6K +) with little contribution from VW if outside the 3yr warranty, because of quality problems with the chain supplier.Try googling the VW 1.4 chain problem.

Gerryf
01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Like you say VWcabriolet......chains ain't "the all and end of all"